View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Camping in Alberta??  (Read 1817 times)

Offline FrozenCanoe

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
Camping in Alberta??
« on: November 10, 2015, 12:36:23 am »
Not much here in this section.  I guess not a lot happens or individuals from Alberta area that head out for winter camping?!  I know there are some keeners in the Calgary area and maybe not on this forum.

Right now it looks like we are in for a warm winter.  Some light snow falls happening this past week but usually disappears by the end of the day.  The end of this week will see highs of 7.  Hoping for a whiter December.

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Camping in Alberta??
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 05:45:09 am »
The guys camping in Inglewood better clean up their act or they will be looking for a new place. I am going to check them out one of these days. I am 90 minutes south.

Offline FrozenCanoe

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 09:50:13 am »
I don't know much about these folks.  Where do they usually go? Bragg Creek area?  I am up in Edmonton area and usually head to the Kootenay Plains or north.

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:00:48 am »
I am referring to homeless campers in an area of Calgary along the Bow river called Inglewood that have been in the news lately. They are suspected of stealing items in the area. Inglewood residents have gone into the camp and found their some of their belongings that had disappeared earlier.

Offline FrozenCanoe

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 03:33:06 am »
interesting  no i hadn't heard that

Offline Goski

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 03:43:36 pm »
Hey FrozenCanoe,
It's a terribly late reply, but maybe still time for one more trip this season, or the next year.  My suggestions for Edmontonians:
- Pembina River west of Lodgepole.  Shallow small volume river, but wide gravelly bed, doesn't need much snow for good (and flat) skiing.  Very nice area and only 150km from the city, good for weekend camping.  Usually more snow than Edmonton, but not much more,
- Cadomin - Cardinal Divide area, Whitehorse Creek. 
- Willmore Wilderness Rock Lake trailhead, may require 4x4 to get to the trailhead after fresh snowfall, from there several trails to choose from.
- Willmore Wilderness Berland River trailhead, easier access, usually more snow than Rock Lake but more river crossings on the trail into the mts and not always fully frozen.
- anywhere in the Nat.Parks - winter is the time to go backcountry camping there, nobody will bother you.
- Bighorn Country (Kootenay Plains you mentioned is there), it's pretty but snow is often scarce in the N.Sask valley.  I usually go deeper into the mts: - Bighorn and Littlehorn rivers from Crescent Falls campground, Wapiabi Creek, Blackstone R. 

This year, as you know, snow was poor in AB and main valleys in the Parks had very little.  But it's much better at higher elevations, but to get there you have to travel light (backpack only).  Have you ever tried huts?  There are some in very beatiful areas and quite affordable.