View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Slush Sandwich Ice Already  (Read 1803 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Slush Sandwich Ice Already
« on: January 01, 2008, 05:00:21 pm »
I just got back from a 3 day trip on a lake in the Ignace area of northwestern Ontario.   There is close to 2 feet of snow in the bush, but on the ice away from shore, its windblown and/or compacted now to about 6 inches of snow.  There was slush and spider holes, but not too bad.   We managed to snowshoe and ski around the pockets over about 3 km’s of lake travel.  In some areas, the previous slush (overflow) had refrozen on top, forming a slush sandwich.  When we drilled holes for water and for ice fishing there was about 2 inches of white airy ice (refrozen slush), then a pocket of liquid slush water between, and then the main ice was about 6 inches.    This is early in my (limited) experience for the sandwich to set up.   That’s a good sign that its cold enough and some snow has transformed already and is loosing some insulation. 

We got a big dump of snow in northwestern Ontario near the beginning of December when the ice was quite thin, which was not good, and I was expecting the mother of all bad slush winters.  I have only been out on two lakes, and they were not too bad.   No doubt there is some slush hell out there on some smaller lakes right now.   However, I am hoping that things are getting better.  No doubt slush will continue for another month with our snow depths.

Anyone else have lake ice travel news?  I would like to hear about slush dynamics from other winter trekker’s experience.
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
Re: Slush Sandwich Ice Already
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:54:19 pm »
nope, noe tails to tell yet Hoop, but since you've been out I hope you have some
photo's to share?!

We need some inspiration down here in the SW of Ontario. We didn't get hit this time with the snow and what did fall recently was only 2inches of soppy mess to shovel.

C'mon , we want to see em'!!??

IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi