View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Detachable Snowshoe Cleats  (Read 2827 times)

Offline jerryswiss

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • If it's not cold, you're not having fun!
    • View Profile
Detachable Snowshoe Cleats
« on: December 27, 2015, 09:51:30 pm »

HOOP was talking the other day about quick detachable snowshoe cleats. These are not quick, but they are detachable. Made from 1/8" thick aluminum angle material, riveted to a leather base and sewn to the snowshoe with para cord. I think these really only work well if you have a super rigid technical type binding. These are US Army hinge type, circa 1964. This snowshoe, binding, cleat set up works well for climbing steep crusted snow.
The driest snow is high desert snow.

Offline Canadian Corey

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Detachable Snowshoe Cleats
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 11:41:31 pm »
I've thought about this concept for a few years now; a standalone crampon with a snowshoe fixture around it.  hmmmmm.

Offline Canoedog

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • canoedog.ca
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 11:50:00 pm »
Not detachable but....   

http://www.snowshoesalesandrepairs.com/
"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going" - anon.

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:57:30 am »
Those ones are detachable actually, Canoedog. I detached mine as they were more trouble than they were worth under most conditions.

Kinguq.

Offline mnimz

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 09:23:01 pm »
Just got back from a day trip with a pair of monoline traditional snowshoes. The fat bikes had packed the trail down pretty hard and a couple of thaws and freezes had the trail very slick. The monolines were sliding around quite a bit, I have the GV ratchet bindings with the crampon toe but it still wasn't enough.

I say these on ebay the other day...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snowshoe-Crampons-Manufactured-by-Iverson-Snowshoe-Co-for-Gregory-Backpack-/321996116079?hash=item4af876d06f:g:jGMAAOSwFqJWiBog

I figure I could make a pair pretty easy to try them out. Does anyone think they'll work okay without tearing up the monoline?

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 10:20:41 pm »
Yes, they work I've used similar on raw hide snowshoes while on a mountain accent when younger...: http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=3786.msg33747#msg33747

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:47:23 pm by Bioguide »

Offline mnimz

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 07:16:29 pm »
I came up with these today, I tried a couple of different styles but ended up cleats made out of 3/4" aluminum angle perpendicular to the shoes. I tried them out in the backyard today and they seemed to work well. I'll have to take them out next weekend for a thorough test.
Here's what I ended up with...

Another style I tried, didn't work quite as well since the weight of the foot isn't squarely on the cleats...