View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Snowshoe Expert...  (Read 1750 times)

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Snowshoe Expert...
« on: December 28, 2015, 02:40:05 am »
And that is not me... I was wondering how many pairs of snowshoes one have to fill(lace) to be able to make to that are identical?? I just finished the second snowshoe from the pair I started in the spring, and even if I was really careful of doing everything the same as the first one, at the end I ended up having to do one more row to be able to fill it all in. I really don't get it, I know it is not rocket science, but I don't know what I do wrong >:(

They will still work and they look alright, but they are not identical.... Maybe the next pair.

On the bright side, I really like the look of the starter rope I used, I think it is 5/16....

Anyhow, if there is any expert snowshoe lacer out there, please help out.... I have the Gil Gilpatrick book, but I don't find it that great....

Frustrated winter traveler!!

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Snowshoe Expert...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:20:03 am »
At least your getting to the final stage. I always snapped my wood after steaming and trying to bend. You'll always be easy to track.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline jerryswiss

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • If it's not cold, you're not having fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 11:58:42 am »
I feel your pain. I have laced about a dozen pair, but I use tubular nylon so I do not have to fill as much as you do. That looks like a lot of work :P
The driest snow is high desert snow.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 01:54:42 pm »
RR, I didn't make the frame on these one, but I would like to make myself a pair of beaver tail one day!!.

Jerryswiss, I wanted to have as tight a lacing I could manage. snow up here is super dry.

I'm fascinated by the Cree or Attikamek beautiful design of there snowshoes and lacing!!