View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: A Xmas Trip and a New Toy  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
A Xmas Trip and a New Toy
« on: December 30, 2015, 07:14:22 pm »
In a repeat of last year's trip we headed back to lake Audy in Riding Mtn national Park again for Boxing Day.

The park had ploughed the road in so we could drive to the camp site but had to carry the gear about 50m to the "winter camping area" If we had brought a sled with us we would have likely relocated to a more sheltered area but the thought of carrying all the vey unorganised gear plus firewood several hundred meters to the other end of the site was just too much.

Chance had it that we had picked the coldest time all winter for our first night, down to the low -20 something but with a clear sky and a full moon i ventured out to take a few shots.

I'm very pleased with the hand-held night shot feature on the Olympus. It saves a lot of messing with tripods when temperatures are way down.

I had a very disturbed night with Holly wanting to leave the tent to search for elk that she heard near the tent. To prevent her wandering I always sleep with my wrist through her leash and at one point she dragged me half way to the door. Bad dog! Fortunately next night she was too tired to wander.

We had spotted that the park had ploughed right the way through the bison enclosure, all the way to the Central Trailhead, so next morning we took the opportunity drive up the road and to snowshoe up to Kinnis Creek. There was lots of sign of elk digging through the snow and a short while later we spotted a small herd; luckily Holly didn't see them before they had a chance to escape quietly into the woods.

Next we noticed that a large rock someway off down the trail seemed to be slowly moving. Turns out this was one of two bison that had made a run for freedom from their enclosure and had yet to be recaptured. Before we got too close we hollered to let them know we were there but it took a Fox 40 whistle and lots of arm waving to persuade them to wander off to one side. The area where they had been grazing looked like it had been ploughed. Sorry no pictures I was too busy hanging on to Holly.

We hiked far enough to see this would actually make a great sled hauling route. It is about 8km from the trail head to the camping area and pretty flat from what we could see.

Sections of the trail were bordered by snow laden spruce but much of it was open parkland that thankfully had made it easy for us to spot the wildlife.

When we got back we decided to try our new toy, a Bemco Backpacker's Oven that i spotted on the MEC Gear Swap

http://www.backpackeroven.com/

Made from aluminum, it is primarily intended for use with a single burner stove. It just fit on the small Kni-Co.  I took out the diffuser plate that is normally used with a gas stove to let more heat through.

Our first attempt with some biscuits. The oven has two shelves but we tried one batch at a time just in case we incinerated the lot!

Turns out this oven works great. A batch of biscuits in just 20 minutes!

Next morning we tried cinnamon rolls with equal success. We risked a full load this time. 

I stoked up the stove and held the oven temperature at 300 F.

The upper shelf cooked faster so we rotated batches. The two pans that came with the set each held three rolls. I need to look some small square cookie sheets.

Selena was happy to be warm and happy that we hadn't burnt our breakfast!

The wind had picked up over night so we hiked for a couple of hours then packed up mid afternoon, glad that we had avoided the Boxing day sales to come camping instead.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: A Xmas Trip and a New Toy
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 07:43:45 pm »
You missed some awesome Boxing day sales though....  I like your toy!

if we don't get takers on Davidson - we could try heading up the central?

Hooked on your luci light and have to make it to lee valley one day.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 08:47:09 pm »
Fresh baked breakfast ....now that's roughing it hahahahaha

Excellent time in the snowy woods no doubt
Two thumbs up..
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 09:58:34 pm »
What size oven is that? Looks like a fun trip.

Offline arcticmag

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 10:50:11 pm »
Nice outing! Glad you got to see the "free-range" bison AND some elk.

I like the night shots.

Kinnis Creek would be a nice spot to camp all right. Just a nice little haul in.
Make friends with the wolf, but keep your axe ready.

Offline jerryswiss

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • If it's not cold, you're not having fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 11:59:24 pm »
That oven is sweet! What size is that one?
The driest snow is high desert snow.

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 10:22:55 am »
I used to get a lot of flack, re the bake oven (we had Coleman), but when the cookies, rolls, bread, etc came out, the grumbling soon stopped. 

Our rule, the guy who carried it in by foot or by boat, always got first shot at the leftovers, if there were any. 

Nice trip, enjoyed the pics too. 

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 10:58:28 am »
I think this is the largest model. I haven't measured it yet. I was going to go with the Coleman but went with this one when it came up for sale. I like that it can be used with an alcohol stove as well for canoe trips.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 12:35:56 pm »
Nice trip!  Thanks for that link on the backpacker oven.  Never seen that before.  Looks like a very fun piece of kit.  I note also that they carry the very hard to find small aluminum pie pans.  These can fit as lids over fry pans to make a sorta oven.  I use that fry pan mini oven system, but all my aluminum pie plates are too big for my fry pans, and the splatter drips out onto my frypan and stove and makes a mess.  I might order the smaller smaller pie pans they offer to see if they make a good fry pan lid.  I will report back....
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline MizMoosie

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • Winter Rendezvous 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 01:09:37 pm »
Very nice night shots!!

Love the cooking pics, too!  Absolutely beautiful biscuits and rolls!  I think I can smell them...
Winner of the 2009 "Golden Spatula" cooking award at the Winter Camping symposium.  Winning recipe:  Filet Mignon in a wine, garlic & mustard sauce, served over orzo and accompanied by caramelized broccoli and washed down with Black Currant Mead.

Offline TZBrown

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 08:24:09 pm »
Looked like a great way to avoid the crowds.
Thanks for sharing the adventure
Life's A Journey
It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/
My Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/TZBrown01

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 06:11:25 am »
I love the shots of the tent at night. Just can't do it with my cheap camera. Time to upgrade. You've sold me on the back packer oven. I've tried to make a reflector oven but they just don't work well. Your dog looks like she is built for winter. Any problems with balls of snow and her paws. We've tried every kind of boot for ours but they just don't stay on. I think the best ting about hot tenting is the meals.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 02:13:09 pm »
Hello Bothwell Voyageur:  Nice report.  Very nice night pictures!  I am glad that the stove worked out well for you.  It is amazing that you were able to see some elk and bison. 

Take care,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 12:20:44 pm »
Hey BV!

Great report! Your attention to detail make your experience very valuable to me. Thank you.