View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Harness to pull sled?  (Read 8881 times)

Offline LokoLobo

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Harness to pull sled?
« on: January 21, 2016, 02:11:20 PM »
I'm looking to find or actually make my own harness for pulling sleds with.
The only one I have been able to find in my area that is retail is made by Clam shell ice houses and well it's sort of costly.

I am thinking I would like one that goes over the shoulders like a backpack but has a belt where the rope or poles to the sled attach.
Where do I find harness's or plans to make my own?

And what should I be looking for?
Advise & tips from people that actually use pull harness's would be nice thanks.

Offline Coldfingers

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Harness to pull sled?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 02:19:28 PM »
I used an old backpack waist belt for my pulk. If you are looking for one with shoulder straps you can buy shoulder strap harnesses/ no waist belt on ebay. Then you could buy a waist belt from a pack and have them attached with straps or sewn together.  I have seen others use a day pack and attached the sled to it.
 Another option is a full climbing harness or fall protection harness.

Online brucekissinger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 03:58:30 PM »
For what it's worth, I was pulling my wooden sled (see http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=3788.0) last week on a day trip with about 60 pounds on snowshoes.  The terrain was unbroken snow and in dense woods.  I was sinking down a couple of inches on the snowshoes and the sled seemed to ride directly on the "float" and didn't sink any deeper.  My purpose was to experiment with different harness options.

I found that using a rope with a wide piece of webbing over one shoulder seemed to work well on flats.  However, when I was going up steeper hills, I found that the over the shoulder method required me to hunch over quite a bit.  I tried using a day pack and attaching the rope to the hip belt and this method was more comfortable going up hills.

Bruce

Online GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 04:02:00 PM »
Canadian Army Pattern 82 surplus webbing.  Just add some loops of paracord or carabiners to attach your sled/toboggan too.
Search online for a store or call around. 

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/equipment/loadbearing/1982pattern.htm
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 06:49:23 PM »
Some folks enjoy pulling their toboggan or sled using a fanny pack worn backward: pouch on the front, buckle at the back.

Choose a medium-sized fanny pack and modify it by adding webbing loops, one on each side.

The pull is from the hips if you attach the ends of a single bungee to each side of the fanny pack, then attach the toboggan rope with a 'biner that can slide on the bungee so it self-equalizes the pull on your hips while the bungee smooths the pull of the toboggan.

Benefits:
- large padded surface area under the pouch spreads pressure out more,
- pull from the hips works well in all trail conditions, up hill and on the flats,
- you have no sweaty pack on your back,
- no straps flattening your insulation on a colder day,
- no straps preventing air from moving around your torso under your clothes on a warmer day,
- it is easy to change clothing on the fly b/c you don't have to remove/replace a backpack,
- you have a nice pouch accessible right at your belly for snacks, water bottle, warmer hat, small camera, ice picks handy, etc.,
- you can incorporate multiple, spaced clip-in loops on your tow line to bring the sled close on your heels when winding through the narly alder, or let the sled stretch out further behind on the lakes (this sometimes gives you enough time to notice the slush underfoot before your sled is coated, too!),
- Got an uphill section in front of you? - a quick shortening the line lifts the front of the sled a little, and adds that bit of sled weight to your showshoes or skis which gives more uphill traction,
- that vertical loading does not wear out your back - just goes from your hips into your legs; our legs were made to carry loads,
- the pulling system stays in place without any attention when you stop, or ease-up on the pulling for a moment,
- you can lean forward from either the ankles or the hips or both, as you like, giving your whole body increased range of motion, and perhaps less fatigue,
- the effective moment arm created in your body between the point of attachment (hips) and the pivot point (feet) is shorter than it would be if you were pulling from the shoulder, so your body mass leaning forward creates greater leverage against the sled (or conversely, the sled has less leverage on your body)

(Can ya tell I prefer this method? :) )

A modified fanny pack fails on the tradition front, for sure.

But one way is not better than another in an absolute sense - it is just good to have one more option for comfortable, no-fuss hauling.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:42:54 PM by Undersky »

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 08:06:25 PM »
In defence of the traditional tump line I find that it is easy to rotate to face backwards towards the toboggan through the tricky bits where the toboggan may tip. Not so easy wearing snow shoes but when following trails packed and rutted by snowmobiles the toboggan can often get caught in a rut and pulled to one side. Walking backwards allows me to see what is happening and keep things from getting too out of whack.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 08:46:22 PM »
I'd say make your own. The store boughten ones are way over done in my opinion. You shouldn't need padding if the load is spread evenly by your waist, chest, and shoulders. Also you don't need to use too heavy of fabric and webbing; make it light but strong so you don't even notice wearing it when not man-hauling.

I basically copied the sledging harnesses worn by Captain Scott and his men a hundred years ago, but widened up the shoulder straps. I like hauling in it and having it somewhat historically accurate and thinking about them and other early explorers as I'm hauling. I tried a simple tump strap my first year of winter camping but that wasn't for me at all.

I put the harness on before I break camp in the morning and wear it over the lightest garment I figure I'll be hauling in for the day. So basically over a light sweater, then I put on whatever else to keep me warm while breaking camp and getting warmed up hauling. Those outer layers don't seam to get in the way of the harness, so I'm not talking it on and off throughout the day.

I think the middle person is wearing his harness too high, I want the waist strap around my waist and hips, not my stomach. And in that way it's not interfering with what I'm wearing over it.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:53:37 PM by Kaifus »

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 11:38:46 PM »
"Another option is a full climbing harness or fall protection harness."
These won't work- the climbing harness has the rope loop at the front and no shoulder straps, and the fall arrest harness has the attachment at the top of the shoulders, neither is designed to attach the rope to the back at waist height

Offline Coldfingers

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 08:37:49 AM »
"Another option is a full climbing harness or fall protection harness."
These won't work- the climbing harness has the rope loop at the front and no shoulder straps, and the fall arrest harness has the attachment at the top of the shoulders, neither is designed to attach the rope to the back at waist height

My suggestion with these is that he could modify them to work for him. Yes they would not work straight out of the box.

Offline h_t

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics, kaifus. Helpful.
What do you have in the back - couple D-rings with rope to attach to the sled?

Online AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 04:03:11 PM »
Something we use to do and still do sometime, is to wear a small day pack(30L) with waist belt, you have 2 carabiners, one on each side of the pack, that clips into the long rope that goes to the sled... Works great!!

Offline kaycee

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 04:10:06 PM »
I found one of these MOLLE waist belts, it works good pulling with and was relatively cheap. I was less than $10. This link has them out of stock but you can find them in many places. http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/MOLLE-II-ACU-Molded-Waist-Belt-New-8465015247232-p/5143.htm

Offline Gitchiegoomie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 10:08:44 PM »
I used a belt from an external frame backpack, threaded the rope from the plastic sled through 1/2" pvc pipe to the belt.
Helped control the sled while going downhill.

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 07:03:53 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics, kaifus. Helpful.
What do you have in the back - couple D-rings with rope to attach to the sled?

Yep, two D-rings then a short piece of rope, 16" or so just to make it easy to turn around and unhook from the sled hauling lines. I use a Nite Ize "S-biner" to connect the short rope and the sled lines, that's been easier to use than the carabiner I had been using.

The bottom of the waist band fabric is folded over and the webbing is sandwiched between the two sides of it. The fabric is then only stitched at the top edge where the two sides meet, and at the webbing too of course.

Offline h_t

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 08:12:17 AM »
Thanks, if I ever get to making one of these, the info will be useful.