View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Cutting down on bulk.  (Read 9522 times)

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Cutting down on bulk.
« on: January 27, 2016, 09:23:27 pm »
What are some things you all do to cut down on bulk on the toboggan? Or do you even care?

I am a bit weight and bulk obsessed, so I have designed a 1/8 inch toboggan, a small one person hot tent, titanium stove, down bag, and cut cooking gear down to the bare minimums. I still have a ridgerest, plus a regular prolite for comfort. The ridgerest is great, but uber bulky.

Anyone have issues with bulk, and what have you done to cut bulk, and also weight to allow for easier towing?
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

wooley

Re: Cutting down on bulk.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:51:22 pm »
I hide my extra kit in the toboggans of my partners.... ;D

Every trip is a learning experience....My load is probably 10lbs lighter over the last 5 trips; mainly food stuffs and no longer using a white-gas stove.

MIKE

Online mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:21:50 pm »
Not having a toboggan, and a Pulk that's probably to small, I tend to want to chuck stuff as well.
I use a wicker basket instead of a grub box, I don't bring a chair of any kind, a small Avalanche shovel instead of a larger scoop shovel, I don't bring skis(snowshoes only), I don't change clothes except for socks(if I crap myself there's laundry to do). I just don't bring luxury items.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 11:14:40 pm »
Yea,  I forgo the grub box also. My solo tent doesn't have room to stand, so I lounge as I cook. It makes for not much need of a chair.

It's a bit less convenient to use a bag for stuff,but of well. My spices and stuff are in ziplock bags, and they are protected by my pot. I used a couple quarter inch sleeping pads once. Way more versatile to pack than a single ridgerest solar, and also more versatile. I may try out two again, just to be able to spread out the lacking of the closed cell pad.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 11:20:55 pm »
One thing I added to this year was my first aid kit. Someone got me a real nice adventure medical kit one, about the size of a brick. I figure that my usual tape and gauze pads can do in a pinch, but I will try it and see. For me, strictly solo, I'd probably go back to tape, gauze and ibuprofen.  Those items are pretty versatile.

The way a lot of people cut down on gear is by making a list of things they didn't use on the trip they just got back from. If two trips go by, and you didn't use that item, cut it. The issue with doing that in winter is that I have never so far needed my spare set of clothes, but the day I do need them, I would be in a world of hurt without them...the same goes for a few other things too.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 11:26:46 pm »
Wooley, you mentioned you use a white gas stove. Was that over and above your wood stove?

Also, it seems that I am always testing things. This weekend it is the Bob dustrude saw vs the Irwin marathon. Well see which I prefer, and maybe next time that will be one less thing.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 12:01:23 am »
First thing first, I don't travel solo much... I don't really care if stuff is bulky, but heavy is an other matter... That said, I do carry some heavy stuff. You get to a point in life where you need a bit of comfort, I do anyway. So I have bulky sleeping system, but no chair, I use the waging for that. Until I make a the dream tent, I will carry my 9x11.5 EXP short wall. I bring a good size axe, a Bob's saw, an ice chisel( if we are camping close to water!!) I rarely bring skis...

I don'T know where I could cut weight, the tent and stove would be a place to get some weight off.

I think you are right about traveling in the winter and the possible need of something that you might not need but if shit it the fan, especially solo, it is always a good idea to safe than sorry!!

Like I said, I bring a bit to much stuff, but I'm not in a race, and the extra gear is nice to have in some situation!!

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 12:10:33 am »
What are some things you all do to cut down on bulk on the toboggan? Or do you even care?

I would say I care - but care about my comfort once in camp.  I do try to track what doesn't get used and probably shed about 1-2 lb every trip. 

I like hiding ones gear in other people toboggans.  gonna have to try that.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 06:55:29 am »
Doing a pre-trip and post-trip inspection is pretty important to me. Without it, your guessing in the dark, verses science and statistics. Document and weight up everything your bringing, then after your home again, the first thing to do is go through everything and see what you didn't use. I even have a food bag for each day, numbered for that day, and I see what I ate each day, which really helps fine-tune what food to bring. Weighing your load gets easier because once you've weighed a certain item, you never have to do it again on later trips.

Oh and then cut out ever luxury item that even though you used it, it wasn't absolutely necessary. And that sucks.

Offline MistyHollow

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 08:09:21 am »
Having gotten older and done the majority of my winter camping by dog sled upto when the 3rd little was born. I didn't have to worry about weight or bulk, and yes I was very comfortable ;D. If the load felt a bit heavy, just added a couple more dogs. ;)

Dan

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 08:24:11 am »
So far the winners are "add another dog" and "sneak it into someone else's toboggan"

Haha. Love it.

I guess it all depends on the goal of the trip. Comfort, travel, etc.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 09:24:46 am »
I think we sapiens learned that by adding offspring it helped the pack leader lighten their load. I know my load is a lot lighter when I take my boys along.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 09:45:28 am »
From what I have read, that is what a wife is for...
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Online mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 09:59:35 am »
As was seen in my trip report. ;D
I think we sapiens learned that by adding offspring it helped the pack leader lighten their load. I know my load is a lot lighter when I take my boys along.

Online kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 10:27:17 am »
It seems to me that the three items for which greatest savings can be made are the tent, the stove and the sled, because each of these items come with a large variation in weight and bulk, depending what you choose.

For the tent, going from cotton to nylon or hybrid cotton nylon immediately makes for savings of 50% or more. More if you are willing to use a single layer coated tent (I am not...). If I was in the market for a new tent, given my good experience with my converted Eureka Alpine Meadows, I would seriously consider a tent like the venerable Eureka Timberline http://store.eurekatent.com/timberline-sq-outfitter-4-tent , removing the floor and sewing in some heat resistant material around where the stove will be placed. This would be less than half the weight of a comparably sized cotton tent.

For the stove, there are a wide variety of sizes and weights. Material also plays a role, if you are willing to spend the big $$ on titanium. The main saving to be made is to go with a smaller stove, and accept that the burn time will be shorter and that it will require more tending than a larger side. On the other hand it will burn less wood, and generally burn it more efficiently because it will be running at full blast more of the time.

Of course you have to accept that luxury items like cots and chairs are out. Lightweight cots are available, but they are uber-expensive. I use a thermarest chair and the thermarest doubles as a sleeping pad.

Once you have made these savings, weight and bulk will be reduced enough that you can go with a smaller sled, which is itself a reduction in weight and bulk.

There are no magic answers here. As Kaifus said, keeping track of actual weights will show you where reductions can be made.

Kinguq.