View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Fourdog stove update.  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Fourdog stove update.
« on: January 30, 2016, 08:18:09 am »
Well guys, as i write this, I am out on the trapline in the snowtrekker. Surprised I have cell service! Anyway, my experience with the stove has been the same as the last few times.

I found some dry maple, and cut and split it up. I fed the fire last night at ten, filled the stove once at three am, and am now writing this at quarter after eight, and am still getting heat off the coals. It was fifteen below last night, now about eight below, and it is quite comfortable in here. Using spruce for heat in the daytime, and the maple for night heat and my first fill I went 5 hours before a fill, and its been five hours, and needing a fill soon.

I didn't like that the damper is so far up the first section of pipe.  However the damper now serves double duty by holding the stove jack further up the pipe. Works like a charm.

Very happy with the stove,even despite the insane price tag and awful service and shipping time. If you recall I had a thread where I had some serious issues with customer service from Fourdog. Think of my experience as worst possible case scenario, and I will say that if you are thinking about getting one, put up with all of that because this is one case where the product is worth it!.

Now off to set some beaver traps.

Hutch
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Fourdog stove update.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:42:51 am »
You're a lucky man, enjoy your time in the bush.

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 12:11:08 pm »
Those are some really impressive burn times...  What sort of tent are you using on this trip?

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 12:28:39 pm »
Using a snowtrekker 8x10 exp crew. .   keep in mind I have to burn the creasote out every once in a while, and the tent is about at freezing at night, at ground level which is fine because I have a bag. All I want it to do it knock the edge off the cold. It is more than warm enough to dry my gear overnight at the ridge. My hunting pants had an inch of ice around the boot, and everything was dry by morning.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 04:11:13 pm »
That is great Hutchy! We need pictures of the set up in the bush!! regarding nocking off the edge of the cold is exactly what I'm taking about!! I like to have the stove going as long as possible, and even if it's not throwing a lot heat, if the tent stays around 0c and it is -20c out side I'm happy!!

Offline crossfox21

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 10:26:07 pm »
Hi Hutch,

What do you mean by the damper section holding up the stove jack? I am assuming this holds the roof panel of the EXP at a higher level?

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 06:30:53 pm »
Exactly. It holds the roof away from the stove more, because the heatproof insert rests on the damper. Seems to work fine. It is raining cats and dogs at the moment. Lake is eight inches of slush. Nice in here though

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 06:56:17 pm »
Nice in here though

Sweet, live updates. Post some pictures... how did the beaver trap setting go?

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 08:05:11 pm »
Well, went fishing instead. Lol. The weather has been warm for two days and the ice around the houses was just two dodgy. I can wait another week or so and come back in by sled and set a run of them. The ice made the houses literally unapproachable. Four inches on the lake, and six inches of water on the ice...brutal.

Just ate some perch, and now frying some chicken. Heading out tomorrow.

Id lost pics, but I have long since forgot my dropbox password.

Anyway, we shall see how the trip back in tomorrow goes.  Ice is getting pretty sick.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 08:06:55 pm »
Be safe in your travel back!!

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 08:08:48 pm »
Oh, I did take some time and set up a wolf snare site. I had planned to set up two, but again, what a sloppy mess. So, got thirty or forty snares out. We will check back in a few days when I come to set for beaver...if it freezes again. Pretty disappointing.

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 10:42:56 pm »
Hutchy, you should consider doing a trip report sometime where you combine winter camping with fur trapping. That would be really interesting and inspiring. Good luck on your catch. It must feel good to be out there with a canvas tent and woodstove but doing productive work.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 01:08:53 am »
Actually ,I have been wanting to do some filming. I thought it would be entertaining anyway to film a trapping trip. I mean, to be completely productive, trapping on foot or even out of a tent is not the most efficient t way of catching animals, but I his trip I got a bunch of things gs accomplished. I took my awesome girlfriend on her first so get camping adventure, I explored the most remote section of my trap zone, I caught some fish, and the girlfriend for to catch a fish, and fry it, and I set a wolf snare site. I also gathered wolf urine to be used while foothold trapping closer to home. Should work like dynamite.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 10:58:41 am »
Hutchy, you should consider doing a trip report sometime where you combine winter camping with fur trapping. That would be really interesting and inspiring. Good luck on your catch. It must feel good to be out there with a canvas tent and woodstove but doing productive work.

Not to jump Hutchy's thread, but Kaifus this fellow https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_AN4BxIGFXvEuVuAXppFIA runs a trapping channel on You tube.  I watched him build his cabin and then got hooked!  His line is near where I love to go Fly Fishing.   
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 10:36:29 pm »
Quote:
"I mean, to be completely productive, trapping on foot or even out of a tent is not the most efficient way of catching animals"

No I suppose not but the idea of the wilderness trapper has always really appealed to me whereas the person trapping ditches and culverts never out of sight of their vehicle has a lot less.

Thanks Gearfreak for the YouTube link, I watched a lot of his "out on the trapline" videos