View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Two fish too small  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Two fish too small
« on: January 30, 2016, 09:09:33 pm »

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Two fish too small
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:20:19 pm »
Cool, well done!! How do you like the Hok so far! We have so little snow and I've been off from activities(Sciatica) that I didn't have a chance to use mine much!

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 10:44:08 pm »
Cool, well done!! How do you like the Hok so far! We have so little snow and I've been off from activities(Sciatica) that I didn't have a chance to use mine much!

Thanks AunNordDuNord. I like the Hok's however we too have had very little snow and I have yet to try them in any deep powder. I did some new camp site exploring this trip and they are really responsive in the woods. I have a pair of Fisher 88's and I prefer the Hok's to them as the Hok's give me better control in the "bush" environment. I really want to try a pair of the Russian made hunting skis' which I'm actively pursuing to obtain a pair, hopefully I'll have a pair of those for next "season".

Sorry to hear about your sciatica...I know that must suck... a lot.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 01:18:31 am »
I to would like to try a pair of the russian skis, I just have to find the right piece of wood and I'll make myself a pair.  As for sciatica, I'm working on it and it is getting better but not fast, quite slow actually!! I'm getting really tiered of being stuck at home!

Cheers

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 12:36:53 pm »
That's two more fish than I have caught this winter!   :)   Always good to be out on the ice and exercising the ski muscles!
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline h_t

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 08:49:31 pm »
what's that stove you're burning? is it burning wood? doesn't melt the ice under it?

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 09:01:30 pm »
what's that stove you're burning? is it burning wood? doesn't melt the ice under it?

Hello h_t, it's a Four Dog BushCooker LT III camp stove kit: http://fourdog.com/bushcooker-lt-iii-bush-camp-stove/

I initially start it with ethyl alcohol and add wood stove pellets but you can use twigs or pretty much anything combustible. It did melt the ice but very little, it was insignificant.

Here is a video link of me using and explaining my stove kit: https://youtu.be/h7eB-L5tzus?list=PLmTvaHNPvlcZRflGN-0OHwHd9FkDqKssq&t=573

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 09:44:44 pm »
Hey Bioguide, how long of a burn do you get with these two kittle jars of pellets??

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 10:07:33 pm »
Hey Bioguide, how long of a burn do you get with these two kittle jars of pellets??

Those two bottles (250 ml each) could boil, at the very least, 3 pots of water each. My guesstimate would be 1/3 of the bottle of pellets would burn for 15 min.

I've since started to carry a ~quart container of pellets (1,000 ml) as it fits nicely in the bag: https://youtu.be/4mTR86x7gR0?t=359
and would last a long time. I would feel very comfortable using this stove as my sole cooking source on a trip.

Maybe I'll do a burn time video?

Don has a nice video of the product: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RWifacFFUDI

And some product specs on boil times with various fuels:

Boling water test:
Will bring 1 qt/1/ liter of water to a rolling boil in the following times:
With 2 esbitt tablets= 6 min
1 1/2 oz alcohol in burner= 7 min
3 oz of dry twigs = 6-23 min ( depending on user's fire skills!!)
Times is started when the match is lit. Using quick burn technique with 2 1/2cc alcohol as starter.
With 60 F water & outside air temp.
No wind ,wood used is air dried twigs @ 20% moisture.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:18:12 pm by Bioguide »

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 10:26:23 pm »
Thank you Bioguide, I might have to get myself some pellets... I have a 2 different size of these, the real thing( a lot of copies out there >:() and I really like it. but I think pellets might work all with it!!

One other thing, what would be the weight of a 1000ml of pellets?

Cheers

Offline h_t

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 10:26:54 pm »
Thanks for the info.
$105 for the tinsy stove, holy moly! I just make a fire and I know a better use for ethyl alcohol ;)

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 10:33:26 pm »
Thanks for the info.
$105 for the tinsy stove, holy moly! I just make a fire and I know a better use for ethyl alcohol ;)

And that's just for the stove! When I bought mine 6+ years ago I got the whole kit, pots, and windscreen for $105.

You would really have to be hard up to drink that stuff...I'll stick to Knob Creek for now.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 10:37:18 pm »

One other thing, what would be the weight of a 1000ml of pellets?

Cheers

Ok, I just weighed it using my wife's cooking scale. The weight including the jar is 1 lb 10 oz's.

Get the pellets; I bought a 50 lb bag for $5 two years ago and I'll have it for at least another 20 years.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 10:45:27 pm »
I have a 2 different size of these, the real thing( a lot of copies out there >:() and I really like it. but I think pellets might work all with it!!
Cheers

AunNorDuNord, since you have the stoves you might want to open the "fins" on the bottom of the stove slightly. I did this and noticed it burned more efficiently. You don't need to do it very much just use some needle nose pliers and bend the fins a little so the flame from the alcohol and air can pass through better. Or not...just a thought.

Offline fisherman

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 07:59:29 am »
good job Bioguide!
love your camera work.
thanks for sharing