View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Book: Ten Thousand Miles with a Dog Sled  (Read 1059 times)

Offline AJM

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Book: Ten Thousand Miles with a Dog Sled
« on: March 23, 2016, 10:29:55 AM »
Full Title:  Ten Thousand Miles with a Dog Sled A Narrative of Winter Travel in Interior Alaska  by Hudson Stuck.

This book is available free on Kindle through Amazon.ca and Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Narrative-Winter-Travel-Interior-ebook/dp/B004SQUA8O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I've not read it as I just discovered it today, but here's a pretty good  description from an Amazon reviewer:

First, I must admit my bias, based on personal experience. I have traveled by snowshoe, crossed the Sierras in the winter, camped in the snow, gold mined in Northern California, and worked outside in Montana in 20 to 40 below weather. As a result, this book resonates with me, and the grit shown by Alaskan "mushers" astounds me.

The author was a cleric (although this is not a religious book by any means) who covered his "parish" in the winter by dogsled. The actual travels are interesting, but they are a thread upon which the author strings nuggets about early 20th Century life in remote areas of Alaska.

He tells of the care, feeding and selection of sled dogs, of course. But he also tells how miners thawed the soil to a depth at which they wished to secure gold, and how they froze tunnels through the water to mine the ocean floor. He tells of interesting personalities, the types of people who flocked to Alaska, the characteristics of the natives, the quality of Alaskan potatoes, the types of snow and ice conditions, and a thousand other interesting details.

By the time you are finished, you will know what temperatures are best for winter travel, the difficulties of sharing the wilderness trails with horses, all about illicit liquor traders, the curse of cotton clothing, how to stick rabbit fur on your nose to prevent frostbite to your probiscus, and a lot more than you ever considered about early Alaskan life.

I can't imagine anyone who would not enjoy this book. But if you are an outdoorsman (or woman!) or just like true adventure stories, this is likely to be one of your favorites as well.

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Book: Ten Thousand Miles with a Dog Sled
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 10:55:52 AM »
Well worth reading.  What these guys routinely did with minimal equipment is/was just astounding.   And perhaps best remembered as the part of the first team to ascend Denali - Mt McKinley.   I have an older reprint with funny hard to read type, but glad I bought it and kept it. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:35:07 PM by southcove »