View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Adirondack snoskishoe  (Read 20197 times)

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Adirondack snoskishoe
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2016, 09:57:22 PM »
Looking really good! I like them!!

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 09:05:11 PM »
Looking good. I still think it's too wide.

I received the skis' yesterday and have ordered 140mm BD GlideLite Mix STS cimbing skins that will go down the center of each ski.

h_t, I think the width is going to work out fine for me; I just need a good dumping of snow: https://youtu.be/yVQ78g1-26Y (this video demonstrates the floatation comparison between 15 and 20 cm skis' and the typical bindings used for these types of skis'.)

I'm undecided about which bindings to mount on the skis'. I currently have two types of universal bindings I can mount:

1.) Flexi Plateau: https://icetrek.com/shop/flexi-plateau-polar-ski-bindings/

2.) The Universal Hok binding: http://us-store.altaiskis.com/product/universal-binding/

I'm inclined to use the Flexi Plateau as it's lighter than the Hok's universal binding and its easier to get on and off a boot. What I really would like is a binding similar to those in the video link above i.e. simple toe straps. Does anyone know of a US/CA vendor selling bindings similar to those in the video? Or does anyone have any suggestions for improvising similar bindings to those in the video?

Edit: I came across this video of the start of binding straps from a craftsman building his own pair of skis: https://youtu.be/8yGQHsCM_kM?t=1094 I could mount something similar and run a strap between the mounting brackets...

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:44:04 PM by Bioguide »

Offline h_t

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2016, 08:42:45 PM »
I am going to watch the last video you linked later.
The simple straps are easy to make (and I know I'd go for this option, considering $240 alternative :) )
If you really need more info on that, let me know and I'll provide more info and will find you some pics.
If you're going to go this route, mount section of mountain bicycle tire (or similar) under the sole of your boot (to prevent slippage and snow build up).

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2016, 09:14:22 PM »
I am going to watch the last video you linked later.
The simple straps are easy to make (and I know I'd go for this option, considering $240 alternative :) )
If you really need more info on that, let me know and I'll provide more info and will find you some pics.
If you're going to go this route, mount section of mountain bicycle tire (or similar) under the sole of your boot (to prevent slippage and snow build up).

I already own both of the bindings they are on other skis' so there is no additional cost for me now.

I am interested in any information you may have and pics of the simpler/strap bindings so post away.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2016, 11:04:39 PM »
I think the Hok is to narrow to be really a good substitute for snowshoes, I think you are on the right track with a wider ski. As for the video comparison, I think they should have compare skis of the same length, it is not only a 15 to 20 cm comparison, but a 190 vs a 150 something ski...

I can't wait to see them on the snow fo the real test!! I would go with the plateau I think!

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2016, 02:12:44 PM »
I waxed and applied the Black Diamond Glidelite Mix skins today. I'm going to use the Flexi Plateau bindings I already have and will get to that later this month or early in November.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:10:35 AM by Bioguide »

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 03:31:32 PM »
Damn they look great!! Can't wait to hear what you think of them when you get to try them out!!

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2016, 04:13:41 PM »
Damn they look great!! Can't wait to hear what you think of them when you get to try them out!!

Thanks AunNordDuNord, I think so too... I'm excited. Hopefully we'll have some good dumping's of snow. I plan to do a video side-by-side review of Fisher S-bound 88's, Hok's 145's and these in the same snow conditions. In the meantime... next week starts whitetail season in the Adirondacks and I have 2 weeks schedule off for it.

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 10:28:51 AM »
Thanks for the link Bioguide. how did I miss this tread?
 very nice job.
I love how skins fit the ski.
My only concern that front tips are not curved high enough. With skis you don’t do steps like on snowshoes, you glide, and tips has to climb on top of snow with each push.
I also worry that they can slide sideways if you travel on uneven terrain like side of the hill. It can be easy fixed by adding runners or metal edge to the side of the skis.
As for binding,  go with those you have, you will get more control of the ski, the reason Russians use toe belt, because they don’t have access to high tec binding, or if they do it will triple the price of skis
If you decide to go with the toe belt, you may try to get hands on some used cash register conveyor belt.
One more thing: When you mount your binding make sure center of gravity is where your toes will be. So when you hold your skis by binding they will slightly point downward.
The reason is simple. If you put binding too far back, your front tips always will be pointing upwards, that means you will always go uphill, even on flat terrain (we are talking deep snow). It may sound funny, but if you going 10 miles, it will make big difference.
I also didn’t notice any camber, if your handyman decides to go to production, he may concern to add it, and it does makes big difference compared to flat skis.

Enjoy your ski and please post back reports, I very interested how do they perform

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:37:26 AM by kiggy »

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2016, 11:28:31 AM »
My only concern that front tips are not curved high enough. With skis you don’t do steps like on snowshoes, you glide, and tips has to climb on top of snow with each push.
Thanks Kiggy, I do have a similar concern about the curved tip. Time and use will tell.

I also worry that they can slide sideways if you travel on uneven terrain like side of the hill. It can be easy fixed by adding runners or metal edge to the side of the skis.
I'll keep this in mind during the "evaluation" period.

As for binding,  go with those you have, you will get more control of the ski,
Thanks I'll use the bindings I have.

One more thing: When you mount your binding make sure center of gravity is where your toes will be.
Yes, the binding mounting instructions have you do this.

I also didn’t notice any camber, if your handyman decides to go to production, he may concern to add it, and it does makes big difference compared to flat skis.
He tried to include some camber but in order to do so he would have had to build a whole new mold and that would have added to the cost significantly.

Enjoy your ski and please post back reports, I very interested how do they perform.
I will. Thanks.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2016, 12:11:14 PM »
I wouldn't worry about metal edges, I have them on my Hok, and and because you most likely won't be using the ski with a real ski boot but with a softer pack boot or mukluk, you won't be able to edge the ski efficiently... And they do slide around on uneven hard pack snow.
As for camber, on a short super wide ski like that, I'm not confident it would make any difference.   

Offline rabbit

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2016, 01:26:35 PM »
Bioguide, Nice looking ski and a great concept. I have to disagree with Kiggy on adding camber to this type of ski. On crosscountry touring or racing skis the camber is designed to flatten out when the weight of the skier is on the ski to allow a flat surface for better glide and speed.On this type of ski I think that you would have pretty heavy to flatten much camber. What I see in this design is the ability to float like a snowshoe without having to lift 5 pounds of snow with each step. Also a free ride on the downhills :). As I said great looking design and looking forward to your test reports.
P.S. I'm talking about the overall camber on a ski not the wax pocket which is a whole different can of worms.

Les

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2016, 06:17:16 PM »
Bioguide, Nice looking ski and a great concept. I have to disagree with Kiggy on adding camber to this type of ski. On crosscountry touring or racing skis the camber is designed to flatten out when the weight of the skier is on the ski to allow a flat surface for better glide and speed.On this type of ski I think that you would have pretty heavy to flatten much camber. What I see in this design is the ability to float like a snowshoe without having to lift 5 pounds of snow with each step. Also a free ride on the downhills :). As I said great looking design and looking forward to your test reports.
                                                          Les

Thanks for the insight Rabbit. I really do look forward to trying them out in a couple of feet of snow both on rolling terrain and the flats while hauling a sled. Cheers. Bioguide.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2016, 07:37:09 PM »
I put the Flexi Plateau bindings on this evening. Now the wait for the freeze up and snow dump.

Offline rabbit

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2016, 08:01:44 PM »
Looking really good !! I can hardly wait for the shake-down cruise and test reports. As I said before, love the concept.

Les