View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Mesh inner soles + RFL layer  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Mesh inner soles + RFL layer
« on: March 27, 2016, 07:09:10 pm »
I've talked about these before and made them often but this is the first time I've remembered to take pictures
Very simple DIY project and very effective
As HOOP says not all winter shoes and boots have enough insulation under the feet and there isn't always enough room for thick felt padding
I first heard about these from a Korean War veteran and I've used them myself on and off for the last 30 years
The addition of an RFL layer is my idea tho and it does work so long as that thin airgap is there, which is why 2 layers of mesh on top
The RFL in this instance is the DuPont Reflectix available at most fabric and craft shops but ordinary breathable building wrap also works

https://plus.google.com/photos/104496919004974772120/albums/6266871011708255713

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Mesh inner soles + RFL layer
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 07:20:07 pm »

Once you have all of the parts cut out the sewing is a simple 5 minute job and can be done by hand if needed
The FG mesh is itself non conducting but I consider the reflective part what makes mine so effective in winter even tho I find adding these under the boots provided footbeds more comfortable
3 layers of mesh plus RFL is the most I've ever made but you may like to experiment with more layers, ,my boots don't have that much extra room once I get two pairs of thickish socks on