View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: The Glorious March Trekking Season - Get out there!  (Read 4350 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
The Glorious March Trekking Season - Get out there!
« on: March 07, 2009, 01:37:03 pm »
In the latitude where I live, March is THE time to be out there.  The ice is thick, the surface snow is usually well transformed and packed for good trekking, and the lake slush is mostly all gone.  No more slogs in fluffy bottomless powder and slush fests.  The days are long and sunny and warm, and the nights are cold which keeps the snow crusted for good traveling.    March is the traveling season.   What are you doing in front of your computer?  You should be out there!   

I should be out there too, but my day job this winter has been a special assignment bordering on slavery.   The project will be over soon, then I get back to normal, and I�ll be planning some major trekking for next winter.

Our colleagues in the far north are maybe still in the deep freeze, so their glorious season may be end of March and early April, when their days get long and sunny.  So for them the best is almost here.  We�d all like to see some photo TR�s from our friends in Yukon, NWT, northern Quebec and Alaska. 

Looking forward to reading more photo TR�s to help us through the downer of the meltdown.   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:26:48 pm by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: The Glorious March Trekking Season – Get out there!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 06:00:30 pm »
Funny you mention that. It has been tough to get out lately but today I found a great drive up site. A great jumping off point for a trek. No trails so I could see break trail one day, travel the next sort of trip.

Harlan, if you are interested in checking it out tomorrow give me a call. Looks like the mini paddle is out because the open water on the Chukuni has filled in again. The -20 temperatures at night is looking after that. Give it a few more weeks and we can try again.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:02:39 pm by Rob »
Colder is better

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 06:53:04 pm »
Its raining dogs, lots of poodles down here......
IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline katekate

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 09:00:17 pm »
not only raining poodles, but also thundering lightening summer type storm here in Hamilton tonight

(no, not the NDP convention)

Offline FlatbowMB

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 12:46:14 am »
Feeling pretty dumb right now.  I drove into Kenora this morning to see a couple of clients during the afternoon.  I loaded the pickup box with my pulk sled and camping gear with plans of camping overnight in the whiteshell & and getting some icefishing in today & tomorrow.  It then ocurred to me that I had my laptop in my briefcase and realized there was no way I could leave it locked in my truck overnight (at -20 or so) without it getting destroyed, so I ended driving all the way back to WPG.  A 5 hour round trip into the heart of God's country & back without being able to stop to enjoy it.  :-[

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:17:36 am »
 You should have slept with the breifcase !!!

IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline Mike

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 12:07:43 pm »
I live in the Milwaukee area in Wisconsin. Its just plain miserable cold, wet and not a speck of snow. I can't do anything in this weather except think about the past winter and the summer months ahead while siting in front of this damn computer. I think if I hear someone else say "at least its not snow" I am going to puke.
Mike

Offline FlatbowMB

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 05:56:15 pm »
You should have slept with the breifcase !!!

I may be single, but I'm not that lonely!

Offline ontariobackpacker

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 09:17:24 pm »

[/quote]

I may be single, but I'm not that lonely!
[/quote]

lol
SBouchard

Offline lost_patrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 03:01:27 am »
In the latitude where I live, March is THE time to be out there.  The ice is thick, the surface snow is usually well transformed and packed for good trekking, and the lake slush is mostly all gone.  No more slogs in fluffy bottomless powder and slush fests.  The days are long and sunny and warm, and the nights are cold which keeps the snow crusted for good traveling.    March is the traveling season.   What are you doing in front of your computer?  You should be out there!   

Nice to have a longer winter.  Down here, it's almost over.  Saturday, I was skijoring in Algonquin Park.  Lots of snow in the bush, but it's already melted back from the shorelines, and the trail surface is soft enough that the dog was punching down into it.  Not good because of excessive fatigue and the risk of injury.  On the lakes, the ice is still thick and strong, but there's enough water on top of it that there was a bow wave coming off my skis.  Conditions like these are why I carry spare socks.

We'll have maybe (if we're lucky) two more weeks, and then we're into spring thaw, and after that it's crowds and bugs.  Enjoy it while you can.
"Give me winter, give me dogs.  You can keep the rest."  - Knud Rasmussen
"Ride like you stole something." - Lance Armstrong

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 01:22:55 am »
Weather warmed up a couple of weeks ago, but got colder again without too much damage. Then this past weekend the forecast was for warm weather (+5) both days, but Environment Canada got it wrong and it never got above -2, and colder a bit to the north. This week, the temperature is back down to -10 or so, and so the snow hangs on. In fact, it just snowed last night and today so there is a few inches of fresh stuff on top of the crusty stuff, especially in the Nesbit forest area (I hope). All this means we should be in good shape for another overnighter on the weekend with a few friends (including 2 that have not been out in winter before, though we have canoed in a blizzard), and we won't have to drive far to find good conditions.

Cheers,
Bryan
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline lost_patrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 08:56:18 am »
Sounds good.  Here in the big smoke, signs of spring are everywhere.  Lots of hardcore cyclists in spandex, taking advantage of the dry roads and mild weather to get their training underway.  The red of a Cervelo is not unlike the red of a cardinal.

This past weekend would have been a beautiful one for camping.  Unfortunately, circumstances did not permit.  But there's next weekend, and the Environment Canada forecast looks good.  There is hope.
"Give me winter, give me dogs.  You can keep the rest."  - Knud Rasmussen
"Ride like you stole something." - Lance Armstrong

Offline katekate

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 05:53:54 pm »
hey, I made it! was out for the weekend at McCrae Lake which is near 6 mile prov park - excellent conditions given the late season.

Lots of thin ice on the little creeks and beaver dams were open or the sound of rushing water under paper thin ice. The big lakes were rimmed with melted edges and accessing them will be hard if the sun stay out.

But! gorgeous blue sky and starry nights - hear wolves howling next lake over as well as the sound of snow machines in the distance

built a fire on the ice which was a first but worked out great (secret is built it on top of punky logs to stop the burn through)

spring camping is the time to try new things: like KD for breakfast, 'unwoody' chardonney in a carton, that wool jacket thats been in the closet for a few seasons, the kids sled with a backpack...

the upcoming weekend sure does look similar so go for the it! (funny how sometimes winter has an odd way of blasting through S Ontario in mid APril sometimes however  ;D)

katekate

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 12:57:53 am »
The conditions are spectacular in NW Ontario right now.  About as good as it gets for late winter / early spring conditions - high pressure, sunny, warm during the day, cold at night.   Atikokan's Beaten Path Ski Club, and Quetico are hosting their annual Cross Quetico Ski Tour this weekend (March 21).  They should have a nice crust on the lakes for good speed using skinny skis.  Check out the link:  http://atikokancanoe.tripod.com/comeskithecanoeroutesofquetico/

Unfortunately I am not out in the bush, on the crusted lake ice here, because I am chained to special project at the day job which is using all my time, including weekends.  Bummer.   It will be different next winter for sure!   

Its synthetic snowshoe & crampon season now here for the bush snow with a wicked crust, due to day times temps above freezing, and refreeze at night.   I missed the season closer for lake trout.  Hoping to get out for a walleye fish before the ice gets flooded with rain and melt. 
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.