View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Going Down - to the foot region!  (Read 8099 times)

yukon

Re: Going Down - to the foot region!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 10:49:21 am »
As for the question whether or not wet and warm is healthy, I'd say for a short time only. I have used the US bunny boots that are essentially various layers of rubber and felt welded into a vapour barrier boot. My feet have never been cold in these despite activities at -45. However, my feet get wet and my socks too. So, for foot care, I found I needed to carry a change of socks for everyday on the trail, or be where I could dry them out completely each evening. I have no medical background, but seem to recall, keeping feet wet fro prolonged periods can cause something akin to trenchfoot. I still prefer the dry breathable system of hometanned moosehide, but the snow has to be pretty dry.
Failing that, a sorel derivative and a warmer hat usually works.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:52:40 am by yukon »

Offline FlatbowMB

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 08:33:06 pm »
So, for foot care, I found I needed to carry a change of socks for everyday on the trail, or be where I could dry them out completely each evening. I have no medical background, but seem to recall, keeping feet wet fro prolonged periods can cause something akin to trenchfoot. I still prefer the dry breathable system of hometanned moosehide, but the snow has to be pretty dry.
Failing that, a sorel derivative and a warmer hat usually works.

Excellent point - regularly drying out the skin of your feet and fresh socks are very important for the health of your feet.  A warm boot that breathes very well is definitely the ideal in cold weather.  The thing with rubber bottomed pack boots such as Sorels and similar designs is that they just do not breath well at all, and your feet will get wet from the inside out with or without VBLs .  When using Sorel type boots, the benefit that VBLs offer  is to provide you with warm, wet, trenchfoot affflicted feet rather than cold, wet trenchfoot afflicted feet.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:34:39 pm by FlatbowMB »

Offline Blaf

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 08:50:57 pm »
Trying a new to me system.
I have a pair of Kaufman Sorel Snowbear Rubber bottoms and nylon pack cloth 12 inch uppers.1 size bigger then my shoe size.
Inside is Wind River waffle insole. A standard weight felt liner.
On my feet:
Wigwam Ultimax Liner Socks (Unisex)
MEC Product Number: 4003-526
Next:
Integral Designs Vapour Barrier Liner Socks (Unisex)
MEC Product Number: 5005-366
Finally:
Wigwam INgenius Hiker Merino Socks (Unisex)
MEC Product Number: 5001-651
Have tried them for about 12 hours total, snowshoeing, walking and in car. Outer socks and liners are bone dry. Lots of water on inside of liner and inner sock wet. Feet are very comfortably warm.
Comfortable to wear.
Coldest the temperature has been minus 5 so I'll have to see how this works on a cold day.  Inner sock and Barrier sock dry fast compared to the wool sock and the felt liner.
If anyone else has tried this system I love to hear and I will keep you posted when I get a cold trial.
Feb. 16, 2008 on the Budd :-*
Stay safe
OAF

Just to report that I tried this system at last DeepFreeze. Worked so great for me. My feet were warm and my boot liners were dry all the time. I am impressed with Vapour Barrier Liner socks. Thank you OAF, this was a big problem for me and I believe I have solved it.  :)