View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Cloaks/ponchos as winter clothing  (Read 10434 times)

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Cloaks/ponchos as winter clothing
« on: September 10, 2016, 09:59:49 pm »
I've been following another forum where people are waxing lyrical about the US Army lightly insulated poncho liner/ warm weather blanket commonly called a "Woobie"
I have access to some of these very cheaply but I also scored some mid-loft Thinsulate very cheaply at a fabric sale
Also some good LW windproof fabric and dirt cheap $2- a metre Goretex
Would there be any use for a moderately insulated hooded cloak as part of a deep winter outfit?
In conversation on another forum I asked if anybody had ever cut a hole in a poncho liner and/or added a hood but so far nobody has
I believe Fjallraven has something along this line but much shorter than the garment I am contemplating
Would something like the HPG Mountain Serape be a worthwhile addition to a winter kit?

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/4/ProductID/19/Default.aspx
Making something like this will take about an hour at most unless it is shaped and in that case would take about a half days work

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Cloaks/ponchos as winter clothing
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 11:56:25 pm »
Also this

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-issue-reversible-primaloft-hooded-poncho-liner-new?a=2050120

Although the garment is cheap enough SG want $USD60- to post to OZ so that's not going to happen

Offline Pyreneo

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 09:19:41 am »
Hello,

In deep snow I think a long coat is a problem, for this reason lappish/fjallraven cape is short. If you are in alpin moutain, a cape is not very good (wind and it is cumbersone). In a flat and cold country (lappland) : why not.

The advantage of poncho liner with hole is that you could use it as a part of your sleeping equipement and you could use it during day. If it is not too heavy you could use it like a blancket upon you down sleeping bag.
Could read english but difficult to write it.

Offline AJM

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 08:39:46 am »
I've been thinking of this but more along the lines of getting something made out of wool for sitting around the fire cold camping. I have a big puffy down parka that is a sythetic shell so it wouldn't do well around a fire.

However you can get wool ponchos fairly cheap and I was thinking I could thrown one on to protect the coat during fire times and then at night in the tent it could double as a dog bed.

They seem to be available fairly cheaply over the net and made from alpaca wool mostly.

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 11:01:49 pm »
Being an old hippy I have used the old woollen blanket a lot, both hooded and Mexican serape style.
The downside [ pardon that awful pun] to the woollen is the that at any reasonable warmth level they are simply not windproof and if boiled and felted are simply too heavy in this LW world so I'd not previously contemplated them for extreme cold weather camping when man-hauling.
Putting an UL cotton shell on a decently warm woollen blanket tho may work but if you used modern UL fabrics the poncho becomes part of the sleeping system used as an overquilt, the Kifaru Doobie/Double Doobie idea

Offline AJM

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 09:23:06 am »

The downside [ pardon that awful pun] to the woollen is the that at any reasonable warmth level they are simply not windproof

For what I was thinking I would be less concerned about windproof since I would be wearing a big puffy mountaineering parka underneath it. I would just want something to protect the parka from sparks without breaking the bank. And then multipurpose it - part of a doggy sleeping system.

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 05:49:35 pm »
A lightweight cotton shell then rather than the UL Argon nylon fabrics.
Those US army hooded ponchos are so heavy for the warmth they provide due to using an outdated technology and the cheapest possible cost

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 05:46:12 pm »
German army snow camouflage poncho sewn to a LW woollen blanket would work, maybe dyed a bright colour tho

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PONCHO-SNOW-CAMO-SPRUCE-PATTERN-NEW-SURPLUS-MILITARY-GERMAN-CAMOUFLAGE-ONE-SIZE-/282311300277?hash=item41bb1094b5:g:l0EAAOSw2xRYYcCX
Made from the cheapest possible fabric as I think they were considered a combat disposable, but easily give a DWR or even silicon diluted in spirits.
Not windproof but very breathable when clean, Nikwax cotton proof  would work I think

Online awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 09:04:55 pm »
Had not thought of this for years. When I was in the Army I was stationed in Germany. We spent a lot of time outside, summer and winter, guarding a missile site. In the winter, we always used our ponchos as our outer winter garment. The nature of the job was that you weren't particularly active, so you weren't going to work up a sweat. They were wind proof, water proof, very roomy on the inside. We used them as miniature tents. They worked out well for our purposes.
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 10:29:10 pm »
Been making these from blankets. Snow camo/anorak used as pattern. Quite versatile as a layered system.

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 11:06:32 pm »
Good looking, effective sewing work there!  I especially appreciate the drop tail(s) and adjustments that you put on the wool and canvas anoraks... some of this home design DIY made stuff is really neat and well thought out...

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 11:49:34 pm »
Thanks, I wish I could take credit for the cotton anorak, but it's military surplus, and the price is right at 30 bucks. I added the trimmings. The ties at the bottom are to tie around each leg. I kinda like the option. The blanket liners are all me. :)

Good looking, effective sewing work there!  I especially appreciate the drop tail(s) and adjustments that you put on the wool and canvas anoraks... some of this home design DIY made stuff is really neat and well thought out...

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 12:56:17 am »
What size are you and what size is the M-65 overwhite?
Mine is much smaller on me than that and mine is a Medium, been trying to find an XL but no luck
I like the added braid too

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 06:02:31 pm »
I'm 5'9" 160lbs.
It's a medium, and the place I got them at has Nylon blend XL, but, all cotton stops at Med.
I'm thinking you are handy enough to enlarge your pattern to suit your size?

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 07:37:19 pm »
I could but if I could get an XL at the right [ read "Cheap"] price it would make things on the tent building front a touch easier
Could you post a link to the NYCO in XL?