View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Cloaks/ponchos as winter clothing  (Read 7018 times)

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Cloaks/ponchos as winter clothing
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 03:32:21 PM »
What does it look like with a belt/sash?

An interesting idea

When I finish it with the ties and everything I'll take some more pictures.
Obviously being military the hood is huge for wearing over a helmet, but that allows it to be put on over as many hats as you want.
Being a combat disposable they are made from very cheap fabric but silicon will fix that and for the conditions I usually experience the shell does need to be highly water resistant

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 07:06:51 PM »
Dude, that is one heck of a liner. The combo will certainly be warm, possibly too warm for anything but sitting. Nice job.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 08:27:08 PM »
Dude, that is one heck of a liner. The combo will certainly be warm, possibly too warm for anything but sitting. Nice job.

Well keeping my back warm while sitting around the fire is the main reason for making it up, it is long enough in the back to also have something to sit on, which I like.
I was really having a hard time with finding suitable insulation at a reasonable cost.
Now if I need some warm filling I am just going to one of the Big Box stores like target or K-Mart and getting another LW cheap quilt with the cheap polypro scrim. These all seem to be around 100GSM which to me is an ideal layer weight.

Offline TeleMark

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2018, 07:25:44 AM »
A bit belated, but Lester River Bushcraft and GF Asbell stock wool ponchos, and Wilderness Innovations stock two types of synthetic insulated ponchos.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 07:55:09 AM by TeleMark »

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 08:05:32 PM »
A bit belated, but Lester River Bushcraft and GF Asbell stock wool ponchos, and Wilderness Innovations stock two types of synthetic insulated ponchos.

I see a lot of these now from many different makers. Also as feedback for anybody interested in making something like this it turned out to be far too warm for doing anything other than sitting around in. Even my beloved wife was too warm in it, it was T-shirt warm at -5C without the fire. About as warm as surplus poncho liners tripled  I'm guessing, partly because the fabric when Nikwaxed is more windproof