View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Deep Freeze 2017 North of Sudbury, Ontario  (Read 3809 times)

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Freeze 2017 North of Sudbury, Ontario
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 11:26:06 AM »
I have to say that I am rather uncertain about this year's DF. There is loads of snow but we are expecting very warm temperatures for the next several days, up to 7 C with some rain. I have never camped in conditions like that. I think I might have real problems with getting a firm floor in my tent, and it is a pain to posthole through all the time. I guess I will tramp it down really well and use boughs, but I hope it doesn't turn into a slushfest. Also travel conditions are likely to be very difficult until the snow settles and firms up, which may take several days.

Anyone else have any advice for conditions like this?

Kinguq.

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
We cancelled our trip in Manitoba this weekend. It is not just the above zero day time temps but the warm overnights too. Then e have rain forecast for the end of the weekend. Folk are getting a bit nervous about flooding round here.

At least I can get of with the sewing!
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

wooley

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 12:29:26 PM »
We cancelled our trip in Manitoba this weekend. It is not just the above zero day time temps but the warm overnights too. Then e have rain forecast for the end of the weekend. Folk are getting a bit nervous about flooding round here.

I did the same with my Algonquin Interior trip this coming week.
It has been a chore getting out this year.

MIKE

Offline scouter Joe

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 07:24:44 PM »
I would rather see the temps below freezing but I think it will work out OK . Dave went in today and said he was able to walk in on our packed trail from Monday without his snow shoes . They are calling for below freezing temps the next 3 nights so it may work out alright . Will see most of you Tomorrow . scouter Joe