View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter Gathering NY or NE  (Read 5677 times)

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Winter Gathering NY or NE
« on: October 24, 2016, 05:28:49 pm »
Hi folks, trying to set up a winter gathering in a few months.  Any thoughts?  Some have lightweight gear they can haul on a sled.  Others have heavier gear that would suit car camping.  Pretty sure I would fit into that category for now.  Suggestions?   Tried to post this yesterday with a pic but it didn't go through.  Thanks Coldfeet

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Gathering NY or NE
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 11:41:29 am »
Coldfeet - I know Southcove and I have tossed this idea around a few times so I know there is interest.  I'll let him chime in when he's ready but he told me he was going to discuss this idea with a DEC ranger to see what the chance might be to use a campground in the off season as a gathering location.  Hopefully something will come of this idea; although with my crazy schedule I still might not be able to make it.  I'll do what I can though so let's see what we can come up with.

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 04:03:46 pm »
Coldfeet - I know Southcove and I have tossed this idea around a few times so I know there is interest.  I'll let him chime in when he's ready but he told me he was going to discuss this idea with a DEC ranger to see what the chance might be to use a campground in the off season as a gathering location.  Hopefully something will come of this idea;

+1.   What he said...!

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 05:09:17 am »
Good to hear from you guys.   I'm teaching in NYC and have some time off during the December holiday time, MLK holiday in January and Presidents week in February.  I might be free first or second week of Dec also.  Probably will hike/camp in Harriman State Park the Thanksgiving weekend and feed the coyotes those turkey legs that I usually bring along!  Will save that story when we meet up.  Best to all, chill in the air this morning!

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 12:21:53 pm »
Coldfeet - I work at a college so definitely have some time off during our semester break.  We're back into classes on Wednesday, Jan. 18th (after the MLK weekend) but before that I could probably get away.  If you've got something in mind, I'd be interested in hearing about it.  My guess is that Southcove would be as well; although I don't want to speak on his behalf.

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper     

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 01:07:39 pm »
...If you've got something in mind, I'd be interested in hearing about it.  My guess is that Southcove would be as well.
snapper   

+1.   What he said...!   :D

Most interested now in finding out how your 'first' thanksgiving trip turned out...hmn, turkey legs, coyotes, dark eyed maidens...can't wait!

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 02:02:02 am »
Dark eyed coyotes? Sounds like fun.
There is no "Off" season where camping is concerned

Offline Stryder

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 08:24:22 am »
Oddly enough  too work at a college so availability matches some of what is spoken about here. Would be interested in a NY or NE event.

Currently cold camping so gear is not so heavy. DEC camp would be interesting. Some interesting places in Moose River Plains area but I believe the main road is not plowed.

Happy to stray into other states or Ontario.

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 09:42:20 pm »
Possibly Connecticut early December. 

Offline Robin

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 01:20:49 pm »
Count me in too. I have winter gear, small wall tent with a wood stove, toboggan. I live in northwest Connecticut with plenty of acres available to camp on, might even have snow by then. NY's ADK's are my favorite though.

Offline GreenFrog

• View Profile
    • NatureIntoAction
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 02:47:55 pm »
Also interested. My hammock gear and experience bottoms out at 0f so as long as temps cooperate I'd like to try and join.
NatureIntoAction Youtube: https://goo.gl/ktggpN

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 07:55:25 pm »
Count me in too. I have winter gear, small wall tent with a wood stove, toboggan. I live in northwest Connecticut with plenty of acres available to camp on, might even have snow by then. NY's ADK's are my favorite though.

I was waiting to ask you, Are you free first weekend of December?  Been talking to southcove on a really cool canoe site called canoetripping.  Have you heard of it?   ;)

Greenfrog, where are you located?

I lit up my stove and the small Morsan tent earlier tonight, cough cough!  Seems like the right type of wood is so important, plus not enough air flow.  I actually took a battery operated fan and put it in front of the stove door to give it more air.  smoked out the whole area. 

Will confirm with southcove  soon.   Can't wait! 

Offline Robin

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 08:23:00 am »
Sure, I'm free the first weekend in Dec, 3 & 4th, let me know.

If you want to come to my place I'm about an hour north of Danbury Ct. If there is no snow I can haul all the tents/gear back into my woodlot with my tractor/trailer. Good shake down for new gear.

If you want to go north in NY I can do that too.

Offline GreenFrog

• View Profile
    • NatureIntoAction
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 10:52:19 am »
Coldfeeet,
Im in North Jersey. Budd Lake.
NatureIntoAction Youtube: https://goo.gl/ktggpN

Offline Mars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 12:47:18 pm »
This sounds like a good time.
I would love to get a little cold air time but I am currently working weekends, so I can't make this one unless there is a shift change. or I can coordinate a shift swap.

Have fun and post some after action reports/ photos.
"I'm the one who barked at thunder, roared at lightening, made death wonder."