View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Is this tent to small? opinion wanted  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Is this tent to small? opinion wanted
« on: October 26, 2016, 07:27:46 pm »
I have a chance to pick up a Panther Primitive fire retardant wedge tent,  size is 6" by 8 1/2" by 6'     From reading many posts and lurking for a while it looks like many people have a small canvas tent plus a larger one for a buddy or two.   I have a small kni-co stove that I use with an old Sears tent for car camping. 

What is your opinion on this small tent?  I think it will be just right for me, easy to haul and good for canoe tripping.  I used to be 6' but slowly shrinking!  Not in weight :(   thanks  CF

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Is this tent to small? opinion wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:48:52 pm »
size is 6" by 8 1/2" by 6' 

Now that is a really small tent Coldfeet and I personally can attest to the fact that you won't fit in it... better recheck/edit your printed dimensions again  :o  ;)

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 08:09:11 pm »
Aw man,   6 feet by 8 1/2 feet by 6 ft     bioguide, do you think it's worth $225 brand new?  Need to spend app $50 plus for stove jack and lumber.  Is it difficult to pull the sides out with stakes?  thanks  CF  hope all is well....looks like a good tent for canoeing 

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:37:00 pm »
I have no experience with them. I'm sure there will be some others that may be able to provide you better guidance. Stay warm Coldfeet.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 10:19:03 pm »
I couldn't find a tent with those dimensions on the website Any chance of a link to the product>?
I couldn't use a wedge tent that small, actually I have trouble in a wall tent that small

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 11:51:53 pm »
My mk1 homebuilt tent was a 7x9 wedge. I found that way too tight to keep the stove away from the canvas and not melt my face! Mk 2 was 8x10 which was workable but still awkward to shimmy around the stove in winter gear. Mk 3 was 8x11 with a 20" sidewall. much better, but now I use cots (getting old sucks). Mk 4 is the same as #3, but with 24" sidewalls.
Soon to come is Mk 5- 9x12x3' sidewalls and a 7'6" peak.
As I've discovered, a narrow wedge means you will be basically sleeping in the centre because the foot or so closest to the wall will be very tight. It'll also be hard to keep the stove far enough away from  the canvas, and 8' means the stove will be very close to both you and the tent.

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 05:59:34 am »
Thanks for all of your great experienced opinions.  I will not pick up this tent and patiently wait for the right size, thank you.

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 03:24:37 pm »
It all depends on how big a stove, how much wood you want to cut and if you are going to be carrying it on your back. The minimum size for one person sitting on a mat for me is a 8'x10' tarp with a sheltered area big enough to sit on a mat, or lay all the way back on the mat with feet up over the stove and lots of room for gear and sleeping. Burning about one pound of wood an hour. I am completely comfortable in a large or small shelter.

Offline Goski

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 03:03:05 pm »
Hi Coldfeet,

You didn't mention how you want to use your tent.  Is it for a base camp with lots of lounging around or is it for strictly overnight use after a day of travel?  For a base camp I'd agree that it's rather small.  But if you like to cover some ground every day and need something light and quick to set up, i'd say it's just right.  Of course you'd have to find or build some small stove (see Chimpac's stoves) to use in it and it wouldn't be all night burning, just evenings and mornings to cook and to dry/warm up.   That's how it usually goes, if you like comfort you have to haul or carry more weight, if you like to travel light it has to be very basic.

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 06:05:39 pm »
Hi Goski, it would be for base camping.  Will wait ...gosh I can't finish a sentence because of the trick or treaters...
I'm back, yea base camping.  Thanks, but the idea of hauling from one place to another sounds cool, maybe one day. 

wooley

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 06:11:45 pm »
Hi Goski, it would be for base camping.  Will wait ...gosh I can't finish a sentence because of the trick or treaters...
I'm back, yea base camping.  Thanks, but the idea of hauling from one place to another sounds cool, maybe one day.

Check out Cousin Pete's trip reports then; that's how to travel from place to place.

MIKE

Offline Goski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 02:38:53 pm »
Hi Wooley,
I followed your advice "Check out Cousin Pete's trip reports then; that's how to travel from place to place".  My God!  I guess I am an ultra-light winter trekker.  My usual load is probably 1/4 - 1/8 of Cousin Pete's, at least by volume.  Mind you I Live in AB and have some hills to contend with (and enjoy) and rarely I am on packed trails.  So, I have to be very selective about what I take with me.  My total load between a small sled and med-size backpak is rarely more than 30 kg.  Canvas and big stoves are out of question, but I still manage to have some wood heat in my tent and never been unpleasantly cold for longer than 15 min.

Again, different people different styles and likings.  That's why it's so interesting!

Offline McLeod

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 11:44:10 pm »
Hey Goski,

I agree with you: many different ways of looking at the winter world make the whole thing more interesting and educational.

Here's one for the record in the "big can be good, and so can small" file:

Talking with Dave Freeman last weekend made me think of one of his Wilderness Classroom trips many moons ago. He and Eric skied a route from Cumberland House (in Saskatchewan) east to Lake Winnipeg, then across the lake and south to Pine Falls where I got to pick them up.

Their tent was a 7'x7' pyramid with 18" side walls and an interior height of just over 6 ft at the center pole. Long trip, small tent.

Likely this situation already sounds way too squishy for some readers ... read on...

They did the last 4 days with one of their Board members along, too!! 3 men and a Four-dog 1-DX woodstove in 49 square feet! (.... hmmm...maybe that is how that stove corner got a crinkle in it?!)

Pretty sure they'd have found your potential tent expansive in comparison :)

I love your idea of keeping your load below 30kg!