View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Wind Block  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Forse07

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Wind Block
« on: October 31, 2016, 04:49:41 pm »
The location of the trips we take are 50% based on fishing and 50% based on difficulty. When we take trips of 4 miles or less we have often brought a pop up fish house along but once we go any further than that we don't bring any with to help block the wind. I have thought of using a very small tarp with some sticks or PVC pipe or even trying to pile up some snow. Does anyone make or bring wind blocks for fishing?

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Wind Block
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 12:20:37 am »
I've piled snow and stuck boughs in the top. worked well, but have been thinking of making a silnylon, two sided wind break. Thinking about it is as far as I've got.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:21:45 pm »
I have used 3 poles cut on the trip with a poly tarp wrapped around them. Like an open sided tipi. Works great.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Forse07

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 09:23:01 am »
Ravinerat,
That sounds like something I had in mind. my only concern is securing it to the ice. Is a guy line to an ice anchor with snow built up around the base enough to hold in strong winds? Thanks for your responses!

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 10:15:39 am »
I have a buddy who used something like this...http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86182?feat=512954-GN2&page=sunbuster-folding-shelter&attrValue_0=Brilliant%20Blue&productId=1443002 as an on-ice shelter for fishing for a number of years.   

He sat on a folding chair/or milk carton w pad on top-  just underneath the top lip of the fabric and was able to use his little stove in the sheltered end to heat water, make soup, etc and laid all his gear down inside - He would put down two ice anchors and tie in the top of the shelter to them as well...occasionally he would move it around to another direction to better get out of the wind and that little move was quickly done too.   

All I can say really is that it was GREAT to get out from the blast of wind/ground snow when I sat down inside it to have some hot soup or tea.  Very useful for being so minimal.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 04:13:24 pm »
Just auger three holes in the ice partially through the. Two even and one behind. Stick the pole legs in them and bank snow around the bottom of the tarp.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 05:44:29 pm »
Hey F07, Maybe this would not meet your needs but in the alpine world, and while traversing big lakes (ie: L. Wpg.), we take a "lunch bag" - so named b/c inside it was the only place you could enjoy sitting down for lunch on a windy cold lake or glacier  ;)

Imagine a large lightweight nylon bag, 3' wide x 6' long x 6' deep. You and your partner sit on your packs/sled close together facing each other, slightly off-set so you are not bumping kneecaps. Then you pull the up-side-down bag down over your heads, and tuck it under your seats. A 12" long half-moon shaped zipper opens at face level to allow air circulation, and so you can see the world outside. The bag gets jammed back into it's 2 liter storage sack when you're off after finishing lunch.

Being tucked inside an over-sized nylon stuff sack does not sound appealing at all right now, but it is a dream come true when it is blowing hard, you have no other shelter, and your clothes have been flapping in a very cold wind all morning; you just need a place to relax a bit and enjoy a snack!

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 07:13:59 pm »
In the UK these are known as "Bothy Bags". A bothy is a rough shelter used by shepherds and travelers in wild areas. We have a couple in both two and four man versions, at least one has a window. They are very popular in the UK where there are so few trees in mountainous areas (the sheep ate them all!) The big 8 man versions can hold a whole group of school kids.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 07:53:21 pm »
Can anyone post any pics of these? Sounds like the ticket when we used to do multiple ski days across Algonquin Park lakes. As soon as you stop you would freeze due to the wind.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 08:23:54 pm »
just look up "bothy bag" on google.  Campsaver has a number of them for sale..

Offline Forse07

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 10:46:14 am »
Thanks for all of the replies! I think I will give the open sided tipi a try.

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 10:08:44 pm »
Can anyone post any pics of these? Sounds like the ticket when we used to do multiple ski days across Algonquin Park lakes. As soon as you stop you would freeze due to the wind.

RR

Here is an example of one from MEC. 

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-428/Superlite-Shelter-4

Cheers

Brian

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 03:56:54 pm »
I did look them up and watched a video. Reminds me of the Cone of Silence off Get Smart.

RR
Time waits for no one!