View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: ECW sends an S.O.S.  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
ECW sends an S.O.S.
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:39:00 pm »
Hello all,

I've been lucky enough to have a second computer in our house to follow the forum and receive emails.

For the last 4 days, our business system has been dead in the water. Our laptop, which runs all of our accounting software, our desktop publishing, and web design stuff, caught an awful virus. The hard drive must be scrubbed, and the RAM modules replaced. I have all our historical information and images backed up on DVD, but no way to use them. We do our merchant processing via phone or Paypal, so there's little worry of monetary loss or compromised CC#'s.

Sadly, I've lost every email contact, order form, and receipt. If you are reading this, and you are waiting for an item from ECW, please contact me via email. I'll do my best to return to our normal flow of products, but I don't want anybody to think that I've been ignoring them.

With luck, I'll be back up to speed by the end of next week. I've got my top man working on this right now.

Kevin.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:53:17 pm by Kevinkinney »
Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967

www.empirecanvasworks.com

Offline FlatbowMB

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: ECW sends an S.O.S.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 11:46:30 pm »
Email sent.  Good luck with the computer - it sounds like a massive headache!

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:54:03 am »
Kevin, Are you sure the data can't be recovered? I know someone who runs a computer repair company. Not sure what they could do but I could check.  PM me if interested.

Offline Ted

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 01:31:07 am »
I have never heard of any type of virus/malware that required scrubbing the hard drive or could
damage hardware ram sticks.  Suggest you get a second opinion.
Contact some data repair companies that use Encase by Guidance software. They should be able to retrieve your data forensically.

Ted
http://www.parkerclan.ca
To the Silent Places

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 09:11:53 am »
Kevin; I had a similar problem, My computer would not even boot most times and when it did, it took about 45min (in "safe" mode) and only 2 or three programs would launch clean. Try "Dr Web Cure it" http://www.freedrweb.com/ this is a free virus scanner that a lot of programmers use, it's a one shot deal that you need to reload each time, but the first time I used it it caught 17 viruses that Norton missed. You should not need to replace the ram as it should wipe itself when you kill the power, but you might have a bad chip ( quick check- go to control panel-system and it will tell you available ram, it should be a few bites less than actual).
hope this helps :)

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 10:56:42 am »
Hello all,

Thanks for the concern. Our IT guys confirmed that this is a new and ugly one, then walked me through their diagnostic in their shop. It resisted regular cleansing. The replacement of RAM may be related to previous damage, but I have MS Vista with 1GB, so any deficiency really stinks. I run Adobe CS for publishing, which is pretty hard on the memory. The virus immediately tainted Quickbooks, then it locked up Firefox, IE, and Thunderbird. Even the base MS operating system is bungled. Scrubbing was the best option.

I have a disc backup for everything but the last few days of transactions, and the email correspondence. The problem now is that I can't use our coal fired household computer to run any of my business software, so I'm stuck until the laptop returns.

Kevin.

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 12:55:45 pm »
Try this...

www.mac.com

Two years no virus protection, no spyware protection and NO PROBLEMS

Norton and McAfee in my opinion are dangerous. You think you are protected but they are not all that effective as you have just found out.

Another thing you could try is keeping your QB data file on a flash drive. It will always be protected when it is not attached to the PC
Colder is better

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:57:04 am »
Whew.

I wish to extend my thanks to all of you who contacted us about your orders. We have caught up with our late traffic. Let the Spring sewing season begin.

Kevin