View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Multi-Tools , good, bad or ugly  (Read 5969 times)

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
Multi-Tools , good, bad or ugly
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:09:10 pm »
So, I don't have one and am looking into your perspectives on whether
you really use a multi-tool or bought one and use it occasionally or do you have one, use it but only a limited few pieces are the real worth of buying one.

Pound for Dollar , is it a good purchase for the winter trekker? or would you suffice to use something maybe a little smaller or is it more usefull in other seasons to you.

Your thoughts and opinions please!

Thanks in advance.
IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Tools , good, bad or ugly
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:46:31 pm »
On my list of must get, but don't have one yet.

The reason I want one is for the versatility of one single item in a survival situation. Saw, knife, pliers, awl, screwdriver etc.

My feeling is you should have one on you ALL the time. I have not put this into practice but it makes allot of sense and when I decide on which one I will be sure to get a belt pouch for it.
Colder is better

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 01:50:23 pm »
It depends on what you think you might have to repair. I have a Leatherman, one of the original ones. Now several companies make them in different configurations. I don't carry it camping any more because I just don't think I need it.  I carry a small Swiss Army knife I've had for years. It has scissors, knife and screwdrivers on it and the Phillips head screwdriver fits the screws on a bike derailleur. 

I carry a small powerdriver for repairing ski bindings and some extra screws for them if I am on skis.  I also carry a few cable ties and a few feet of duct tape wrapped around my steel thermos and a Nalgene bottle. The cable ties can be used in place of a broken buckle depending on how the strap is sewn.

One of my stoves came with a small tool that can be used to totally dismantle it, so that is covered. Not sure what else I would need.  I suppose a small pair of pliers like on my Leatherman could come in handy some day, but so far, no need.

Offline Jimbo James

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 05:32:16 pm »
I bought a Swiss Army knif about 18 years ago and have taken it on every skiing and climbing trip I have been on so far.

It is one of the big, chunky ones with about 20+ 'blades' on it and in excess on 30 functions.  However, I have only ever used about two thirds of them (mostly the cork screw, bottle opener and tin opener...).  I still take it though because it is relatively light, compact and easy to carry in my backpack.

If I was to go on more camping trips and spend longer periods of time a greater distance from civilization than I usually do, I would definitely swap it for something bigger, more robust with fewer excessive, 'luxury' features.  A bigger saw for one thing!

Some sort of multi-tool is a God send to have, just in case.

James

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:01:10 pm »
Howdy,

I'm partial to being 'overgunned' so I carry two. I have a Victorinox SAK Climber given to me by a friend from the Austrian Special Forces, and an original Leatherman tool that I found on a sidewalk the day my wife-to-be retrieved me from Boulder, CO and moved me to my current home of Duluth. I use both with alarming frequency in my daily life, though only rarely when camping. They spend more time under the hood of my car, extricating my son from tangles, and fixing sewing machines on the fly. My Gerber Harsey Hunter gets a workout when I camp. There just aren't many screws in the woods, save the loose ones in my head. Still, I carry them, along with my lucky sterling silver thimble.

Kevin.
Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967

www.empirecanvasworks.com

Offline dks

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:00:34 am »
I'm guilty, I have the multi tool SAK and a Gerber multi tool and carry them both. The SAK goes in my survival kit and the Gerber is carried with the rest of my equipment. I can't recall ever using the Gerber for camping, but, I've used the scaler, scissors, can opener, knife, toothpick, screwdriver, corkscrew,and tweezers on my SAK.

Still, for the weight I'd carry them both. Actually, now that I remember, I've used the plier function on the Gerber for fishing.

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 09:09:05 am »
I carry a Victorinox Craftsman knife (I have 2). it has everything I've ever needed, slot and phillips, pliers, 2 blades, and a saw. It also has a neat little wire pulling loop that is great for getting those ties that have slipped back into the hem of your jacket.
Mine have both been heavily abused in the last 30 years and stood up very well, and the few times I've actually broken one, Victorinox has repaired them to like new condition "No Charge" ;D

Offline Ted

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:05:28 am »
For extended canoe trips I carry a small selection of bolts, screws, wire, cable ties, stove repair kit AND my Leatherman Blast.
For back country winter trips I carry wire, cable ties, ski binding and sheet metal screws AND my Leatherman Blast.

Ted
http://www.parkerclan.ca
To the Silent Places

Offline FlatbowMB

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 11:02:11 am »
I keep the tiny SAK classic http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=everyday&product=53005& on my keychain, which I use very frequently find very handy.  Now I see you can get them with flash cards as well!  Hmmm...

When outdoors, I carry the Leatherman Wave on my belt regardless of the time of year, whether simply camping, hunting, fishing or just generally boating.  Also when in the bush, I will have a micro survival kit that stays on my belt at all times (in addition to a more substantial one that always goes in my daypack), within that micro survival kit will be another SAK classic.  Additional to the SAK classic & Leatherman kept on my person it I'll pack along in my daypack a Gransfors Bruks mini hatchet (the most versatile cutting tool ever!) AND whatever purpose-specific knives (eg, filleting, field dressing, skinning, boning etc..) that are relevant to the activity I'm doing that day while away from base camp AND in my larger camp pack, I'll have whatever purpose specific knifes I will need for the trip.

Having the right specific tool for the job at hand can save alot hassle, but the Leatherman can cover alot of bases very effectivley in a pinch.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 11:18:39 am by FlatbowMB »

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 12:55:20 pm »
I'm another with one of the original Leathermans, the larger SuperTool I think and it goes out on all trips with me, including day trips (usually). I like it and it gets used a lot, both around the house and in the field. I use the plier function quite a bit. For me the pliers, straight blade, and saw blade are the three most important features. The pliers is handy for untying knots, removing fish hooks, standing in for the pot gripper left at home, adjusting this that and the other thing, holding a straightened fish hook over the stove before using the hook to burn a hole through a toenail to relieve pressure from a severely stubbed toe, etc. I have used the file, but not very often. The screwdrivers get used for their intended function occasionally. The can opener also gets used fairly often.

If I had to replace it, I'd choose something similar again: larger, robust, having basic functions. Newer tools have gotten fancier and that would not be my preference. I've also used cheaper knock-off versions and those are best left in the junk drawer at home.
Cheers,
Bryan
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline FlatbowMB

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 03:49:22 pm »

I've also used cheaper knock-off versions and those are best left in the junk drawer at home.

Same experience here with the cheap no-name multitools.  I had a couple of those before getting the Leatherman and found that they did not work very well and they fell apart very quickly.  I'd stick with the main multitool name brands (Leatherman, Victorinox, Gerber or Buck).

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 12:38:44 am »
I bring a multi-tool on all backcountry trips.  It is a cheapo set that my dad picked up at Canadian Tire for 1/2 price.  I have used the screw heads, the pliers and the wire cutters. 

Take care,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 12:44:10 am »
I just got a tiny multi-tool as a freebie at a trade show. It looks like a miniature Leatherman, even has a pair of tiny scissors and a key chain on it. I'm going to add it to my kit since it weighs much less than the big one I have.

Offline yukon

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 04:18:27 pm »
Here in the Yukon a leatherman is seen on the belts off most.Preferably in a worn leather case.

I myself have one on the belt of my favourite pants.

However it is hard not to love some form of the swiss army knife, and usually have one close too, if for no other reason than to differentiate ourselves from the European tourists who all show up wearing 20 inch Gerber knives on the back of their pants.  ( I try to keep the kids away from them, lest they see one of these poor folk actually sit down.)

Offline woodstove

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 01:22:21 pm »
Nothing is better than a real file,saw, plyers, or scew driver to do real work. If you're walking and weight is an issue a SOG,Gerber, Leatherman, or Swiss Army tools are all very good.
If you're primary function is fixing or maintaining gear make a small tool bag and put real tools in it.

I cary a  belt knife and a Gerber Multitool. I have long needlenose plyers with my sonar when ice fishing and a file and stone in my bag to sharpen tools. The multi tool is for backup or quick reaction use only. To wear out the file or saw on a multitool for "routine" jobs is a waste IMHO.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:24:36 am by woodstove »
Time to brew up eh!