View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Snowcraft Question  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Snowcraft Question
« on: November 17, 2016, 06:36:33 pm »
Looking to buy traditional snowshoes for flat areas.  After reading so many posts it seems that 48" long by 12-14" width is what I need.  I found a pair of Snowcraft shoes on craigs list somewhat not to far away for $125.  Oh yea, it's in the Algonquin shape.  Just wanted to know opinions.  I will try to post the link with a picture.  Seems like many people are looking for some big $ for vintage shoes.  I looked at the new ones and figured with everything plus shipping the cost is app $300.  this is why for now I'm looking at used. Thanks  Coldfeet

ps, finally got my Paris expedition sled today, will make a better pulk this time, believe me I do look at those 11ft plastic toboggans.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/spo/5857772781.html
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 07:41:01 pm by Coldfeet »

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Snowcraft Question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 09:17:49 pm »
I'm not to sure, from what I can see, the toe part doesn't look up turn much if at all... The lacing is really open too... Depending on the type of snow you accounted the most, it might work or not... Open lacing is usually better suited for heavy wet snow.

The paris sleds are the best. Our Local Home Hard Wear just got some in stock, I'll go get an other one for our daughter, so she can pull her share of the family load!!

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 10:25:58 pm »
Have you looked at LoTN stuff ...either completed or in DIY kit
https://lureofthenorth.com/product/equipment/snowshoes/snowshoe-weaving-kit/

With their YT videos it makes DIY super super easy..just did a Bear Paw set myself
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline kaycee

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:27:38 pm »
I have had good luck finding snowshoes on EBAY. There are some sellers in the NE US that have some interesting ones, and prices are not bad. I got a pair of old Faber shoes 16 x 48 for about $90 shipped. All they needed was a coat of varnish and bindings. Saw tonight there was a pair of brand new Fabers for about $100 shipped.
Just another thing to look at.

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 05:58:29 am »
Thanks for ideas.  I saw the lacing very much spread apart on those Snowcraft, didn't really understand why.  Guess I have to do a lot more reading.  I do understand how many people have different snowshoes for different type of snow but I am not in that type of environment.  Need to just buy one pair for now and go out and play.  I have been using the aggressive MSR's for NE winter hiking in the Catskills and Adirondacks but I want to get more into flat hiking and pulling gear for the "fun" of it and do less peak bagging.   Will continue to look.  Thanks Coldfeet

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 09:13:46 am »
Still have some available here and great deals including the bindings...these are all Faber.

http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=4102.0

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 08:04:44 pm »
Harlan, sending you a message

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 12:47:28 pm »
Ordered Algonquin style 14-48 from Harlan, thanks

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 12:50:15 pm »
my mistake, it was 16" wide by 48" 

Harlan, sending another pm.

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 08:03:15 pm »
Just wanted to say that I brought in 3 pairs of snowshoes into my school today to show my 4th graders what they looked like because we have been reading "Birchbark House." a Native american story that takes place around 1820's (a bit of historical fiction)   I made sure to walk into the lunchroom in front of app 250 city kids and I waved Harlan's new snowshow in the air at them.  The 16 by 48 Algonquin style.  You should have heard the oohs and ahhh's!   Then in class I passed them around plus another traditional pair of modified bear paws, then a plastic aluminum Tubbs style.  Wanted the kids to make a connection with the book and what they were reading today when they heard about a character snowshoeing.   Wish I had learned about that stuff when I was a kid.   My assistant principals were very happy to see the kids reactions.  Even if I never wear them in the snow just to see the kids reaction looking and feeling them was priceless!

PS, Harlan, I left you a message, the bindings came in today, go figure.  Thanks

Offline GreenFrog

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • NatureIntoAction
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 11:07:23 pm »
Coldfeet, That is great. Must have been fun to share.
Maybe next the word babiche will show up on state testing.
NatureIntoAction Youtube: https://goo.gl/ktggpN

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 07:53:49 am »
Just wanted to say that I brought in 3 pairs of snowshoes into my school today to show my 4th graders what they looked like because we have been reading "Birchbark House." a Native american story that takes place around 1820's (a bit of historical fiction)   I made sure to walk into the lunchroom in front of app 250 city kids and I waved Harlan's new snowshow in the air at them.  The 16 by 48 Algonquin style.  You should have heard the oohs and ahhh's!   Then in class I passed them around plus another traditional pair of modified bear paws, then a plastic aluminum Tubbs style.  Wanted the kids to make a connection with the book and what they were reading today when they heard about a character snowshoeing.   Wish I had learned about that stuff when I was a kid.   My assistant principals were very happy to see the kids reactions.  Even if I never wear them in the snow just to see the kids reaction looking and feeling them was priceless!

Coldfeet, I don't think you'll mind me posting the photo of the snowshoes from your classroom you sent me...keep educating and inspiring those youngsters!

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 11:09:24 am »
Nice. You could even branch out to talk about how some animals are adapted to snow and even look at the ways other people around the globe have evolved culturally to live with snow.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 11:53:29 am »
Nice. You could even branch out to talk about how some animals are adapted to snow and even look at the ways other people around the globe have evolved culturally to live with snow.

This is a great book on animals and snow adaption. It's a bit above the 4th grade reading level but after reading it as an adult your ready to enthusiastically convey the concepts in the book to kids. It's both a good read and a good reference book:

I love thinking about the Subnivean environment!

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 07:29:23 pm »
Very cool bio!   I'm at laguardia airport now awaiting a plane to windy chilly Chicago!  Whoo hoo! 
Hope to read that book one day. Just spent $6 reading the recent Backpacker magazine.  Think someone should start a Winter Trekking magazine for us infrequient flyers!  Can't wait to get out soon. Be well.