View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Sleep Systems - What's Yours?  (Read 5103 times)

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Sleep Systems - What's Yours?
« on: November 23, 2016, 01:06:38 am »
I'm a sleeping bag user and eschew quilts unless it's above 50 F. Then I open my mummy. put the foot of my mattress in the foot of the upside- down bag and sleep like a baby.

For winter I have a -5 F. synthetic bag and a -20 F. synthetic bag (which I'm selling any day now).
LL Bean just told me today that I'll have to wait until around Jan. 10 to get my down -20 F. bag. Oh well, for $279.90 I'll wait. i'll never see a deal like that again for that quality of a winter bag.

My usual mattress is a Thermarest Trail Pro. Below -10 F. I add ever green boughs, clothing or a Ridgerest beneath it. Never had a cold night in the winter.

I can also use my overstuffed Western Mountaineering Megalite bag with a puffy and insulated pants to 10F. B/C that bag is cut wider to accommodate more clothing or bigger chested guys. The Megalite originally was a 30 F. bag but when I experienced 25 F. in August on the PCT near Olancha peak I vowed to get it overstuffed. Best $45. decision I ever made. it's now good to 20 F. on my Prolite mattress (W/clothes beneath the mattress).

"Best" low temp range winter bag (-20 F.)->  OK, here I'll likely get some "feedback" B/C everyone has differing opinions.
1. This covers, for me, the +20 F. to -20 F. temps. Ventilation required at upper temps, cinching hood required at -20 F.
2. Less than a -20 F. bag may be dangerous if temps suddenly plunge with an unexpected cold front moving in.
3. Wearing a puffy top and pants can safely lower the range to -30 F.  Lower than that and it's time to either go home or hot tent - if possible.

Eric B.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 12:50:18 am by 300winmag »

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: Sleep Systems - What's Yours?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:32:10 am »
COT - Not Negotiable
Exped Downmat 9,
HBC Blanket (sometimes),
North Face Solar Flare Down Bag. Mummy

May use a CF Poncho Liner (AKA Ranger Blanket or small fleece blanket as well if really cold).

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Forse07

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:45:53 am »
I use a cheap blue foam pad, an Exped Downmat 7 and a bag rated to -10 and I have never had trouble although I still haven't found a good way to keep my face from getting cold without frosting up my bag.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 11:17:20 am »
Lets say dead of winter, cold at night, below -20c, hot tent... Then I go like this: ground tarp over spruce boughs, Thermarest Neo-Air dream that I added a layer of Reflexit inside, then my Integral Design -30C over fill( really this thing is more like a -40c +) down bag... Inside, long johns top and bottom, socks, tuque, and for the face, cause my nose get cold and I hate having my face n my bag, I use an old Buffs that I made a hole in it for the mouth so moisture can escape so I don't have a wet rag in my face a -30c....

My wive have a downmat 7 and a Integral Design -40c bag, and pretty much he same for clothing but a bit heavier. Funny thing is she left for a 3 day trip with her student yesterday and she borrowed my mattress... -22C this morning in town!

Daughter is similar, but have a -20c ID bag with over bag on Downmat 7.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 11:28:53 am »
COT - Not Negotiable
Exped Downmat 9,
HBC Blanket (sometimes),
North Face Solar Flare Down Bag. Mummy

May use a CF Poncho Liner (AKA Ranger Blanket or small fleece blanket as well if really cold).

Hey GF

We bought some cots! We took one to Riding Mtn for the 8 x10. Selena slept on the cot along the side of the tent and I slept on the ground with my feet under the cot. It gave us more room than just  using mats along the back of the tent as we had room for storage under the cot and to a small extent were overlapped on the floor while we slept. We plan on using both cots in the big tent at Christmas. Not sure if it will make it on a hauling trip though.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 12:11:39 pm »
Forse07  -   I found the only thing that ever worked well for me was a 300wt fleece balaclava...warm enough since you are not in the wind, breathable enough since it's not a windblocking fabric and loose enough that I didn't feel like it was too tight. 

Normally, I have a fleece jacket or small couch size fleece throw blanket and I usually wad that up around my neck/shoulders so just my face is open through the sleeping bag hood...not great but it usually keeps me from burying my head in the bag/hood and getting it all damp.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 12:16:26 pm »

Hey GF

We bought some cots! We took one to Riding Mtn for the 8 x10. Selena slept on the cot along the side of the tent and I slept on the ground with my feet under the cot. It gave us more room than just  using mats along the back of the tent as we had room for storage under the cot and to a small extent were overlapped on the floor while we slept. We plan on using both cots in the big tent at Christmas. Not sure if it will make it on a hauling trip though.

YES!  another crosses to the dark side!  I wonder about those underquilts and how useful they may be for cots.   

I keep thinking about making a finbar hood type (and the CF Ckn Hood) liner like undersky has but like many other DIY have not gotten around to it yet.  I did not address the clothing base layers but yes, you need full thermals when it hits -30 and lower.  for up to -7C I use a MEC synthetic as the solar flare is too hot and I would cook.

Rip Stop by the roll has a Black Friday sale too!

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 02:27:20 pm »
A British company, Rab, used to make a lightweight cot with a built in underquilt so that the down was kept immediately below the taught fabric of the cot. As you mentioned, making a a hammock quilt perform effectively could be difficult and if you have carried along a great big cot what is the worry with bringing a mat along as well.

Thank you for reminding me that RSBTR has a sale. I have to order some silpoly for a tarp.

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 02:30:37 pm »
And we just picked up a couple of those Costco down throws to use as overblankets. The word on the street is they can add about 10 degrees of warmth, so not bad for $30 of our Canadian money.

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 03:41:55 pm »
I am still cold tenting, and gonna be cold tenting for a while
so for me is spruce boughs, tarp- space blanket stile, tent, reflixit, termarest prolite, ridgecrest, wool swedish army wool blanket, marmot -9 down bag, silk liner, merino long baselayer and fleece face mask. if weather below   
- 20 I add mec -3 degrees down bag and sheep skin on top of wool blanket. I do carry  couple of costco down throws just in case but still never used yet. coldest night was around -27.
Getting outside for early morning pee is priceless

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 04:56:21 pm »

I have an old fly that I've cut and that goes on the snow.
Next layer is a felt moving blanket which I've cut in half (fits under the bag and pad perfectly)
Next is my Therm-a-Rest Mondoking
Feathered Friends Snowy Owl on top

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 04:58:03 pm »

I have an old fly that I've cut and that goes on the snow.
Next layer is a felt moving blanket which I've cut in half (fits under the bag and pad perfectly)
Next is my Therm-a-Rest Mondoking
Feathered Friends Snowy Owl on top
very nice picture hotelfive

wooley

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 05:02:41 pm »
Reflective tarp on snow;
Crazycreek 3-piece lounge chair opened flat (CCF);
Ridgerest;
Therma-Rest Large;
Fatboy (!) 400 -30C bag;
IKEA Twin down comforter, as cover, as needed.
This system allowed me to enjoy(!) the -40C temps in Algonquin in 2015. I am generally too warm so the comforter usually tossed to the side.
This was my cold tenting kit and I see no reason to change for the hot tent; my stove is out overnight.

MIKE

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 04:11:46 pm »
FACE COVERING-

I've found a Psolar face/nose mask with a balaclava does well at keeping my face warm and my breath warm too with its copper mesh breathing area. It's designed to warm breath so you don't dehydrate as rapidly at night. (Cold air is dry air.)

And a covered nose is important B/C a cold nose eventually wakes me up at night.

Eric B.
BTW, Hotelfive, that is a great looking sleeping bag you have? What's the temp. rating?
UPDATE:
JUDAS PRIEST hotel five! I  looked up your Feathered Friends bag. MINUS 60 F.! And selling for a mere $1,079.  Do you live in Nome? Do you own bank? (Well, I shouldn't talk, I've paid $1,750. for a precision 3.5 - 21 x50 mmm tactical precision rifle scope. I know, it's a disease.)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 01:21:20 am by 300winmag »

Offline AJM

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 08:23:32 am »
FACE COVERING-

I've found a Psolar face/nose mask with a balaclava does well at keeping my face warm and my breath warm too with its copper mesh breathing area. It's designed to warm breath so you don't dehydrate as rapidly at night. (Cold air is dry air.)

And a covered nose is important B/C a cold nose eventually wakes me up at night.

Eric B.

Is psolar still around? I went googling but the site (psolar.com) just went to some bogus thing..