View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: X'd tow poles or H frame?  (Read 3683 times)

Online kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
Re: X'd tow poles or H frame?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 10:05:50 am »
To some extent it also depends on whether you are using skis or snowshoes. I find a rope hitch difficult with skis because skis are less maneuverable in the bush. In addition I am using poles with skis but not with snowshoes and it is almost a necessity to have your hands free with a rope hitch.

A lot of the time, we are travelling on ice or on portage trails between lakes, and in those situations the solid hitch works well. For bushwhacking the solid hitch can be very difficult because you cannot maneuver the sled the way you need to.

These days I am using mostly skis and a solid X hitch made from plastic conduit. Works well but there are clearly times when a rope hitch would be preferable.

Kinguq

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 09:39:24 pm »
I can see that sometimes using a long rope would make certain types of travel easier. It is easier to add a pull rope after the fact than it is to add a set of rigid X poles, so I will add another length of strong cord to the pulk train and designate it as a pull -rope "Just in case" also if I need an assist up a particularly steep bank or long steep hill. It's a bit like always keeping 2 metre long aluminium stake at the top of the load. Sometimes you really do need to belay that load while taking stock after falling down for the tenth time in an hour

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 11:51:21 am »
On skis or snowshoes, up hill or down, pulk or toboggan, I'm a rope user, I tried every thing and find the rope way more versatile and give me more control on the sled. Usually if  the sled gets faster than me, I let it pass and then control from the back or sit on it and enjoy the ride... it is also easier/faster to get in and out of the system.
That said, lots and lots of people use poles, either a center solo pole, X or H and it all works, it really is a matter of preferences!!