View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Changing boots at site?  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Changing boots at site?
« on: November 28, 2016, 01:24:00 pm »
I have one pair of insulated hiking boots with built in insulation. I'm thinking of picking up a pair of Sorels to change into at the site to wear around the area. Gives the other boots a chance to warm up and dry a bit in the heated tent.  I tried hiking in Sorels many years ago and it was way to difficult to walk distance.  My question is, how do you solve that problem?  Do you bring extr boots along while pulling a sled?  Or wear the Sorels and buy liners?  I actually gave those Sorels away about 5-6 years ago. Thanks.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Changing boots at site?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 01:32:29 pm »
Some buy extra liners for their boots. I personally have a pair of boots that only have the removable insole and which over time and trial of various boots I've decided are my preferred winter camping boot. At camp, once everything is set up and the snow is packed down, I'll put on my slippers to wear around and on the packed snow:

http://www.zappos.com/sorel-manawan-marsh

They are good for cold feet ;)
I also give them a good spray of some type of water repellent spray.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 02:09:44 pm »
I have Sorels - and they are still as heavy as you remember.  I hike in either mukluks or insulated hikers and save the sorels for ice fishing.

They have their uses for certain, but I leave them at home most trips now that I have my mukluks and down hut booties for around camp.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 02:15:41 pm »
Coldfeet - If the temperatures look like the snow will be mostly dry, I'll wear my mukluks but if the snow will be wet or slushy I'll stick with my Sorels.  There are winter boots you can purchase that are more like a modern hiking boot that use manmade insulation (Thinsulate is one product I've read about) but I have no personal experience with this type of footwear.  Either way, when camp is eventually set up I slip into an old pair of Polarguard booties that I've had for over 30 years now.  They have been patched up numerous times with duct tape over the years but they still keep my feet warm.  Have ensolite soles in them is also helpful in keeping my feet nice and toasty.

Don't know if any of this is helpful to you but I hope it is.  Best of luck in finding what works best for you.

That's all for now.  Take care, enjoy your time in northwestern CT this coming weekend and until next time...be well.

snapper

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 08:00:50 pm »
I use my mukluks during the day, and I carry a pair of Neos Navigator with a pair of felt slippers that i wear inside!

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 08:18:51 pm »
I change into these when I'm around camp..they have terrible traction but they are super warm (I've used them at -30 and they were toasty)...

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5011-599/Expedition-Booties-2

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 09:33:09 pm »
I have the same one!! Super light super warm, but the traction sur is bad...

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 10:49:25 pm »
10 years back, we tried using large buildups of Shoe Goo (my brother tried a black barge cement w equal results) on the soles of two pairs of camp booties; aggressive blocks and diagonal runs of 'goo. 

I would say it was a limited success but gave enough addt'l traction over the previous super slippery nylon sole that walking around or going on a pee run at 3am was certainly less dangerous than before the mods.    The soles on these booties were a heavy cordura that gave good tooth to the 'goo.  $5 for a large tube, well spent!

Now it's insulated hikers for the walking and pulling portion typically and either Neos over them or sneakers and a large Neos neoprene insole.  Comfy but clumsy.

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 05:50:55 am »
Thanks for ideas, seems like great gear is no longer available, MEC Wonder why?  I have an old pair of down slippers that I wear in the sleeping bag or use for that late night to often bathroom run.  I like the ones bioguide showed also.  Will keep on looking and thinking.  Appreciate the tips.

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 09:01:46 am »
Looks like MEC carries these instead now:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5031-589/Expedition-Plus-Bootie

Offline dks

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 09:52:59 am »
I hike in using heavy Sorels and then use the same MEC booties others have suggested. I tried the shoe goo trick as well and it did help a bit. I wonder if the expedition booties are more robust as far as traction and durability are concerned. For about the same price, the Sorel Manawans look appealing.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 09:54:40 am »
For a poor man's version of the Neos overboots check out your nearest military surplus store. You can often find surplus overboots from chemical warfare protection suits for around $10-$15, Princess Auto sometimes stocks them too. They are designed to fit large so you can wear your down booties inside. I usually tuck my spare mukluk liners inside mine to keep them safe and keep them by the door in case I need to venture outside in the night.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 07:07:46 pm »
Coldfeert,

Please look at the new thread I just posted on VBL sox. It will save you carrying one extra pair of boots. Felt pacs will be all you will need.

Eric B.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:35:01 pm by 300winmag »

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 09:19:08 pm »
Coldfeert,

Please look at the new thread I just posted on VBL sox. It will save you carrying one extra pair of boots. Felt pacs will be all you will need.

Eric B.

Thanks, reading now. 

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 01:49:44 pm »
10 years back, we tried using large buildups of Shoe Goo (my brother tried a black barge cement w equal results) on the soles of two pairs of camp booties; aggressive blocks and diagonal runs of 'goo. 

I would say it was a limited success but gave enough addt'l traction over the previous super slippery nylon sole that walking around or going on a pee run at 3am was certainly less dangerous than before the mods.    The soles on these booties were a heavy cordura that gave good tooth to the 'goo.  $5 for a large tube, well spent!

Now it's insulated hikers for the walking and pulling portion typically and either Neos over them or sneakers and a large Neos neoprene insole.  Comfy but clumsy.

Just tested Shoe Goo on my booties, it did improve the traction, thanks for the tip