View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: BEST VBL SOX EVER  (Read 3153 times)

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
BEST VBL SOX EVER
« on: November 30, 2016, 07:28:15 pm »
Looking at the post titled "Changing Boots at Site?" reminded me that I need to make this post. IMHO it should be a stickey and maybe even re-posted in the SAFETY Forum.

DIVERS SOX FOR A VBL

For several decades I have been using seam sealed thin 3mm neoprene divers' sox as a VBL/insulator. I wear thin polypro or polyester liner socks under the VBLs.

US Divers now makes the highest quality 3 mm divers sox for this purpose. They have a Right and Left foot indicated on them and the seams are factory sealed, saving you the trouble.

Because they are made from closed cell neoprene foam and covered with stretchable knit fabric on both sides these neoprene VBLs are warmer than the warmest winter socks. They keep sweat from ruining your boots insulation, be it built-in insulation or removable liners as in plastic backcountry ski boots or mountaineering boots or felt pacs.

USING DIVERS NEOPRENE SOX AS A VBL:
1. Try the divers sox on over a pair of liner socks. The fit should be good, i.e. no loose area to bunch at the toes, not tight fitting to restrict circulation. Better a bit loose than too tight.
2. At night remove boots and remove liners. Telescope one boot top over the other to keep out spindrift. Place in vestibule.
3. Remove your neoprene VBLs and turn inside out to dry in tent for 15 minutes
4. Remove your thin, wet sock liners and place in ZipLoc freezer bag. Seal tightly!
5. Place boot liners and inside-out VBLs in the foot of your sleeping bag.
6. Put on new thin poly liners socks and heavy sleeping socks (You will need one pair of thin liner socks for each day or be forced to rinse and dry them if you only carry two or three liners.

** If you have insulated boots that do NOT have removable liners clean them off well, place in a dedicated stuff sack and place in foot of your sleeping bag.
Sleep well knowing you will have warm feet in the morning.

NOTE: I have tried commercial ripstop VBL socks and they are not satisfactory when compared to the neoprene diver's sox. They bunch, wrinkle and wear out too fast. If your divers sox show signs of wear merely coat the areas with "SHOO GOO". They will last many more miles.

Eric B.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 04:50:54 pm by 300winmag »

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: BEST VBL SOX EVER
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 09:25:23 pm »
Trying to locate it on the web.  Link?

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 02:58:01 am »
CF,

Ebay lists US Divers 3mm neoprene sox for $20. That's $6. less than I paid not including tax.

Eric B.

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 04:51:25 pm »
BUMP UP

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 02:16:48 pm »
do you have a link to your socks?

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 03:40:38 pm »
Amazon has them and if you GOOGLE "US Divers" you can find them on the company website. The 3 mm (thin) version is what I prefer B/C it fits all my winter boots and GTX Merrill hiking boots and they still keep my feet warmer than the best wool socks.

The US Divers version is factory seam sealed and has Left and Right specific socks for better fit.

Eric B.

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 06:59:23 pm »
As far as the "US Divers" brand sox, there's no mention of them on the companies website, Amazon or eBay.

But if I was interesting in buying VB sox, I would buy them from this company: http://www.rbhdesigns.com/category/169&CFID=38274336&CFTOKEN=5c8621c8c4fc9de0-38FD42AF-155D-0A65-64F151ABBD7FB771/handwear-and-vb-socks.htm

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 02:35:43 am »
Kaifus,
Those fleece VBL socks look OK but... they will bot dry very fast B/C of the fleece holding your sweat longer than the knit skin on the diver's sox.

Eric B.

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 10:57:36 pm »
A year ago I started using Reynolds oven bags as vapor barrier liners and I was super impressed with them and totally sold on the idea of using a VBL. I can't really see buying purpose made VBL's after using these.

Offline Fowler

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 08:19:58 pm »
I have also looked off and on for the "sox" for a few years and have never found them. Are the no longer made?

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 10:30:37 pm »
I don't think they have been manufactured for years
US Divers is not the big business it seems to have been ages ago [ my cousins were dive qualified and wore US D* suits] but 3mm wetsuit socks are around and as cheap as $20- a pair here

Offline tessiea

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 06:30:39 am »
Anyone in Canada looking for these should try MEC. They have their own brand of 3mm socks for $15. Used a pair last weekend and they were great.

Offline Pathfinder

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 08:25:49 pm »
The 'best' VBL sock i have ever used were the ones i found at the grocery store, they're call plastic bags. That's right, plastic bags. I use to get them free, but now i have to pay .05 a piece (imagine paying that much for VBL socks?)

Locate a good pair of thin polypropylene socks and slip on a garbage bag, and voila! A spare pair of dry socks at the end of the day and you're styling and profiling like the Rangers used to do. 

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 09:33:47 pm »
Pathfinder,

Plastic bags, whether "oven" bags or Ziplock, are not so great for VBLs. They slip around and bunch up and hav ZERO insulation.

The US Divers 3 mm socks I mentioned are warm and form fitting and still the best BVL socks extant.

Eric B.

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 01:53:30 am »
Sorry for the totally stupid question here, but are these waterproof?  I have a pair of Sealskinz waterpfroof socks...would they work the same way?

Thanks