View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: YEr favorite winter hats?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
YEr favorite winter hats?
« on: November 06, 2019, 10:16:02 pm »
I like a "Peruvian" style wool with fleece liner. Wool part made in Nepal. Fleece liner added in US.

But I've recently bought a Duluth Trading Co. "Ushanks" insulated ball cap with rabbit fur ear flaps. I need the ball cap brim to keep snow out of my glasses. This cap is super warm.

Eric B.

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: YEr favorite winter hats?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 08:19:52 am »
I've got several favourites! my go to is an old "mad trapper" style with coyote fur liner, but if I'm exerting myself it'll be either one of my toques, or even my Tilley if it's wet or bright sun

Offline Stormy Kromer

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 09:51:51 am »
I think my answer is rather obvious when you look at my profile name.  I have a Stormy Kromer hat, a winter baseball cap with “ear flaps”. If you can’t picture it, just think of Elmer Fudd as he hunts wabbits!  As much as I enjoy my Stormy Kromer my favourite hat is not a hat at all but something called earbags.  I bought them in MEC here in Canada.  They are essentially earmuffs without the band.  When I’m hauling my sled or working up a heavy sweat I tend to remove my hat to vent off some body heat.  The challenge is that my ears get too cold and I need to cover up before I’ve been able to cool off.  The ear bags keep my ears warm while I regulate my body heat.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5012-429/Earbags-Bandless-Earwarmers

https://www.stormykromer.com/the-original-stormy-kromer-cap/

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 10:16:13 am »
I like a toque with a peak- a.k.a. jeep caps or Radar caps as we called them as a kid after the guy on MASH. The peak helps keep the hood from my glasses and the knit weave breathes easily. I'm usually too warm for anything more. Sometimes I'll be wear an ear band under my anorak hood when it's windy as the cold fabric against my ears gets painful. Picked up a new one at Bemidji woolen mills last week for $2.99 on special!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:50:55 am by Bothwell Voyageur »
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Online AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 11:58:36 am »
I don't really have a favourite one, I have a stormy kromer, that is just a hair tight that I like would be even better if it was a hair big... I have a gizilion tuques, of different make and material, I have a beaver fur lined smoke tan caribou alaskan type trapper hat that I wear when it is real cold or when in camp. I go through different tuques as the day go by from heavy one to really light ones depending on the activity!

Offline vdeal

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 04:43:26 pm »
Stormy Kromer, thanks for that link on the ear bags. Sounds ideal for certain situations.

300winmag, I'm thinking about the Duluth Longbill Waxed Cotton Ear Flap Hat. I'll take a look at the ushanka.

Offline Pyreneo

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 10:09:12 am »
When winter camping in Lapland (weight is not very important) :

For Walking  : I use in stormy kromer with large wool watch cap upon when under 0°F.

At rest in cold, I use an old swiss army chapka (wool, cotton and faux fur). It is not too big and it cover your head very well. You could use it in your sleeping bag.  It is warm but look is  :-X

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/4-used-swiss-military-surplus-winter-hats-gray?a=504871

When walking in mountains in winter (weight is very important) : fleece beanie like OR Peruvian hat (but without windstopper since I have a hood on my anorak. Windstopper cut the noise too much for me).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:20:44 am by Pyreneo »
Could read english but difficult to write it.

Offline h_t

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 08:50:42 pm »
I only wear toques now, I layer them too.
I wish I had one with a beak, but I don't and if the sun is bright simply wear baseball cap under.
I used to wear fur hat with ear flaps in the old country, but it's too hot if you're doing anything other than sitting around.
People in boreal forest use the type with the back flap to prevent snow from falling into the back of the neck.