View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: water proofing winter moccasins.  (Read 403 times)

Offline MartinG

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
water proofing winter moccasins.
« on: January 20, 2019, 12:28:39 PM »
For those of you that use canvas and hide winter moccasins or muklucks do you try to water proof them at all?

I recently ordered a kit and made a pair of winter moccasins through Lure of the North. I have worn them a couple of times outside in -15 to -20c. They were wonderfully warm and comfortable. I'm wondering about treating the hide with snow seal, mink oil or any other kind of waterproofing. I assume that any kind of waterproofing would block the breath ability of the hide. But would the protection to the leather and additional water resistance be worth it? Even if I don't treat the whole hide, I'm considering seam sealing the puckers and stitch lines.

BTW I also have a pair of Neos that I can use over the Mukluck for wet and slushy situations. That's a whole different level of situation specific waterproofing.

Any opinions or thoughts on this?

Offline gnatwest

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: water proofing winter moccasins.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 12:40:45 PM »
They are designed for maximum breathability.  I wouldn't attempt waterproofing. If you are in an overly wet environment then it's not cold enough to need the moccasins.   Lotn recommends a rubber boot in this wetter conditions.  Same goes for empire wool and canvas and cooke custom sewing

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 12:52:29 PM »
They are designed for maximum breathability.  I wouldn't attempt waterproofing. If you are in an overly wet environment then it's not cold enough to need the moccasins.   Lotn recommends a rubber boot in this wetter conditions.  Same goes for empire wool and canvas and cooke custom sewing

Exactly what it is said up here!! I've worn mukluks for a long time hand made and or Steiger, and the only thing I do is spray water repellent for "suede" on them, just so melted snow doesn't absorb as much into them. That said, having a rubber over shoes made for mocassin is a must in my opinion if they become your every day footwear, like these https://www.moccasinscanada.com/products/moccasin-shoes-mens-womens-rubber-overshoes

Offline NorseScotsman

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 05:28:11 PM »
Rubber over boots (as mentioned) are the way to go. I bought a pair from Lure of the North when I made my moccasins at one of their workshops.

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »
I spray mine with silicone leather waterproofing made for boots - it shouldn't affect the breathability and helps shed some melting snow.

I have a pair of rubber army surplus overboots that I recently bought at Princess Auto. They are the same as these: http://burnsarmysurplus.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=896
I bring them in case I run into slush or really wet conditions but hope not to need them. I like the style that AunNordDuNord posted a link to better than the large boots that I bought, but mine were pretty cheap and seem to do the job. The more conventional rubber overshoe style would be more practical around town - I don't like wearing my muks in the city due to the salt/slush that's everywhere and some rubber overshoes for dress shoes or specifically for moccasins & mukluks would be more practical.

Bryan
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 10:54:56 AM »
I've always wanted to get a pair of NEOS for that purpose. See a discussion from last year here, if you haven't already: https://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=4687.0
Bryan
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 10:21:01 PM »
I've always wanted to get a pair of NEOS for that purpose. See a discussion from last year here, if you haven't already: https://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=4687.0
Bryan
The over shoe I linked is more for an around town city type use, in the bush the snow gets in between the muks and the rubber ove shoe...

Now Neos is the cats meow of over shoe, we use them lots up here!! They are pretty awesome, especially the Navigator model!!

Offline MartinG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 07:10:21 AM »
Seems there are some people who do apply waterproofing and some who don't. I do have a pair if Neos Adventurers that I can put over them in wet conditions. I think I will skip the waterproofing for now.

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 01:12:39 PM »
My experience with waterproofing leather moccasins is based on using my 18th century mocs during winter activities but it's the same as using mukluks.  Bottom line, if "waterproofed" it will take longer for the moisture to get through the leather but it still gets in there.  The real drawback comes when you try to dry them.  It seems to take a whole lot longer for them to dry out then had the leather been left alone.  Like everything else in this world, there are pros & cons to either strategy.

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper