View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: BEST VBL SOX EVER  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Pathfinder

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: BEST VBL SOX EVER
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 05:15:14 pm »
Pathfinder,

Plastic bags, whether "oven" bags or Ziplock, are not so great for VBLs. They slip around and bunch up and hav ZERO insulation.

The US Divers 3 mm socks I mentioned are warm and form fitting and still the best BVL socks extant.

Eric B.

Not sure where you do your grocery shopping but my plastic bags work fine and don't slip around, and have worked for over 27 years. Did i mention they only costs a nickle?  ;D

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 10:27:16 pm »
Plastic bags, whether "oven" bags or Ziplock, are not so great for VBLs. They slip around and bunch up and hav ZERO insulation.

I always wear my plastic bag VBLs between a thin poly sock and a wool Darn Tough sock and they've never bunched up or otherwise moved. They also keep my feet in perfect condition because of the plastic the inner sock can slip slightly against the outer sock and the boot so any friction causing blisters is reduced to nothing.

Hotelfive, I think if your Sealskinz socks are made a waterproof breathable fabric they wouldn't work as a vapor barrier.

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 01:16:09 pm »
Yes the US Divers 3 mm neoprene socks are waterproof and factory seam sealed.

Most closed cell neoprene has nitrogen bubbles in it. Nitrogen has larger molecules than O2 and does not pass out through the neoprene membrane as readily. That's one reason why some tire dealers offer nitrogen for inflation (at a price, natch).

Yes, you can dry, at least partially, your felt pac liners in a hot tent but it's a PITA to do it every day. Plus by the end each day with no VBL sox your boots have much less insulating value (R value) just when you need it most. Not to mention some of your sweat migrates to the inside of your boot shells then freezes there overnight, building up a bit more each day and wetting your liners when it melts as you wear them in the morning. Vicious circle that good VBLs can stop.

Eric B.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 11:54:18 pm »
Yes the US Divers 3 mm neoprene socks are waterproof and factory seam sealed.

Most closed cell neoprene has nitrogen bubbles in it. Nitrogen has larger molecules than O2 and does not pass out through the neoprene membrane as readily. That's one reason why some tire dealers offer nitrogen for inflation (at a price, natch).

Yes, you can dry, at least partially, your felt pac liners in a hot tent but it's a PITA to do it every day. Plus by the end each day with no VBL sox your boots have much less insulating value (R value) just when you need it most. Not to mention some of your sweat migrates to the inside of your boot shells then freezes there overnight, building up a bit more each day and wetting your liners when it melts as you wear them in the morning. Vicious circle that good VBLs can stop.

Eric B.

I look all over for those Diver socks and could never find anything that I could be 100 percent sure the product was what is was supposed to be... A link would be helpful!!

Offline Wilderwes

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 03:32:00 pm »
I headed-out for a solo overnight hot tenting trip this weekend. It was about -25C on Saturday and went down to -34C on Sunday morning (my coldest trip yet by a pretty good margin). I had just received some 3mm neoprene socks that I had ordered from MEC and was curious to see how my feet would do in those temperatures. I was a bit skeptical before trying, but I have to same that I am now a believer. My feet were absolutely fine. I feel quite confidant to say that my feet would have been cold in those frigid conditions in my normal system of liner sock, heavy wool sock, and 1964 Sorel PAC boots with recycled felt liners.

When I was finally set-up in the tent with the woodstove going, I took of the neoprene socks and watched both my feet and the neoprene socks emit copious amounts of steam for a few minutes and then I put some dry wool socks and booties and my feet were happy. Thanks for the tips in this forum about the benefits of VBLs. At some point, I'd like to get a pair of traditional mukluks, but in the meantime I take comfort in knowing that my feet can be warm in my PAC boots by eliminating the problem of sweat compromising the boot's insulation.