View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Solo Supper meal suggestions  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Solo Supper meal suggestions
« on: December 11, 2016, 08:36:41 PM »
My third post of 3 different but similar threads. I'm planning a 10 solo trip this winter and I would like some new ideas for meals. I think having a thread of members recipes listing separating each days meal might end up being useful for others planning their trip/s as well. So this thread is asking to list your favorite "hot" tent supper meal. Please include the complete recipe.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Solo Supper meal suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:31:58 PM »
Different type of pasta with different type of sauce. Premade lasagna. premade shepherd pie, sausage and rice, Falafel.....

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 10:54:43 PM »
I have a few staple dishes that I can cook even when really tired
Plumrose leg ham in the tin with easy cook pasta, ready grated Parmesan cheese and lots of butter and olive oil.
Ditto but with a small tin or dried packet  of Italian tomato sauce
Tinned Tuna and peas with instant mashed potato and again lots of butter.
When I'm not tired it's Chile Con Carne with grilled cheese sandwiches, rich beef and burgundy stew with rice and vegetables, chicken schnitzels and buttered noodles and of course the Australian stand-by Pork&Beef sausages in brown onion gravy with masses of onions and chips
It is quite often I am really really tired at the end of the day so the more involved meals get used on rest days and in bad weather when I can't get out of the tent. Also sometimes all I feel like is cheese; salami and dry crackers, all washed down with pretend red wine, Apple and raspberry cordial from a packet

Offline MizMoosie

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • Winter Rendezvous 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 10:55:57 PM »
Meal #1:  Dice a chicken breast at home and freeze.  Take 1/2 pkg of Zatarans (or similar) creole mix.  At camp, thaw chicken and brown in one pan with oil and mix in rice and seasoning.

Meal #2:  Freeze a few Italian sausages at home an put in ziplock.  Coarsely chop a red and  green pepper, garlic and an onion and freeze in ziplock.  In camp, simmer sausages in pan with a lid in water, beer, wine, etc for 45 min to an hour.  When liquid is reduced and sausages are brown, remove sausages and add veggies along with whatever liquid you want and scrap up all of the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.  Saute the veggies for a few minutes. Return sausages to pan and eat!

Meal #3:  Freeze a couple of chicken breasts at home.  Put some flour in a baggie.  Put some oil and 3 tbs of butter in a container.  Bag 1 tbs of brown sugar and 1 tbs of dijon mustard separately.  Wrap a couple of teaspoons of rosemary in plastic wrap.  Bag some frozen orange concentrate (or take some OJ in a container).  At camp, thaw chicken, dredge in flour and brown in oil and butter.  When done, remove chicken to foil and add OJ, brown sugar and dijon to pan scrapping up all of the brown bits.  Reduce  until thick and add rosemary and another tbs of butter.  Return chicken to pan until warm.  Serve with rice.

Meal #4:  Pork, Chicken or beef stir fry.  Chop veggies at home and freeze chopped meat in a baggie.  Take some oil and soy sauce.  At camp, brown meat on high heat in oil.  When done, add veggies and soy sauce.  Serve with rice...
Winner of the 2009 "Golden Spatula" cooking award at the Winter Camping symposium.  Winning recipe:  Filet Mignon in a wine, garlic & mustard sauce, served over orzo and accompanied by caramelized broccoli and washed down with Black Currant Mead.

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 06:09:57 AM »
If I'm camping, it's oatmeal or frybread,,,
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”
Old Norwegian Observation

Offline APPaul

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 09:25:31 AM »

Orzo Jambalaya
I made this on my last two trips and its was really good and really easy. Being one pot, and 90% of the prep taken care of before hand is really nice too. Plus its easy to make either a meat or vegetarian version:

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2016/11/spicy-one-pot-jambalaya-with-orzo/

Pierogies
Boil em, fry em. Breakfast or Lunch. Good with on their own or with onions, bacon, sauerkraut or sour cream/plain Greek yogurt. No fus, no mess. If you can find a Polish deli they will likely have all kinds of ones with different fillings. This includes ones filled with berries which are a good breakfast option. We by them frozen, keep them in the freezer, then just toss them in the food bag when we leave. Big plus too is that they store well if you don't eat them all and make a good snack later, even if cold.

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 12:10:09 PM »
From now on, I'm going to try mooching off of MizMoosie. I'm a fan of her cooking.
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 02:33:11 PM »

I cook all through the fall and into winter, chilli's, stews, soups etc.  I put meals in Ziplocks and freeze (flat so they're easy to pack) then take my pick for trip.  I also take pasta and a variety of sauces when I'm in the mood to make a big meal.  Always good bread, wine and a good supply of spice's.  Hoop got me onto Tex/Mex and found I love it on eggs!

Something I'm going to try this year is pre-cooking a Cornish Hen and finishing it in the wood stove, compete with all the fixin's, was going to be my christmas meal this year but not making it out this Dec.

Breakfast is a variety of bacon/sausage & eggs, porridge or if I don't feel like cooking I'll have a bagle.  An excellent single source coffee (I've met the farmer the grows what I drink and his Daughters that roast it)

Lunches usually consist of bacon & cheese sandwich (7 year old cheddar) or a soup if I'm feeling like I need something hot.

So far in Southern Ont. things look promising, just over a foot in Algonquin.
Cheers,
Ken
I, haul the sled so therefore I am "the" dawg.....

Offline MizMoosie

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • Winter Rendezvous 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 06:24:58 PM »
From now on, I'm going to try mooching off of MizMoosie. I'm a fan of her cooking.

Thanks, Art!!  I'm always looking for good eaters...Will you be able to make the Wisco Winter gathering in Feb. near Black River Falls?
Winner of the 2009 "Golden Spatula" cooking award at the Winter Camping symposium.  Winning recipe:  Filet Mignon in a wine, garlic & mustard sauce, served over orzo and accompanied by caramelized broccoli and washed down with Black Currant Mead.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 07:51:32 PM »
Thanks for posting everyone. I've gotten some good and new food suggestions I'll be trying out. Keep posting your recipes as I hope these threads become useful to others desiring something different with their camp menus.