View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Is winter Trekking over???  (Read 5451 times)

Offline White Wolf

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Is winter Trekking over???
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:31:21 pm »
It is with a sad heart I have to say Winter Trekking is gone and spring is upon us here in Kenora.

After about a week of  warm weather and melting snow here  Snowshoeing is out of the question. Winter boots sit idle in  the closet and the rubber boots have come out. Rain coats for today as it is pouring out right now.

Cups of tea on the deck sitting in pants and a tshirt have started. Looking at the lawn there is a lot of grass showing and thinking it may be time to pull out the lawn mower and get it tuned up. Kayak is sitting waiting to get wet as is the canoe. Already planning projects for the camp and man oh man that list is long

Canada Geese are spotted in some open water as well as a few crows can be seen and heard.

So slowly I will pack away the winter gear and check all the winter equipment for repairs and start planning on what equipment I will make/buy this year and what trips to take. And a silent promise to get out a heck of a lot more on the snowshoes and to get a few overnight trips in.

Jeff
Kenora

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
Re: Is winter Trekking over???
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:25:26 pm »
Hi all,

Sadly, I could roll my Grumman over from its resting place, and it would float.

Kevin
Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967

www.empirecanvasworks.com

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:05:42 pm »
We were out on an overnight trek this weekend and had good weather (not too warm, but close). Last night a snowstorm went through in the same area where we were and farther north so it looks like winter holds on for some time still here in Saskatchewan, particularly if you are willing to travel a bit.

The Atlas of Canada from NRC has a map showing Median End Date of Snow Cover.

This map shows the median date of snow-cover loss (defined as the last date with 14 consecutive days of snow cover greater than 2 centimetres in depth) computed over 18 winter seasons (1979 to 1997).

Cheers,
Bryan
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline michel

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 05:08:26 pm »
there is still a good amount of snow in Dryden and people are still driving on ice today.Still planing to go camping, ice fishing and skiing Thursday.

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:19:42 pm »
Actually I had my best ski of the season yesterday. A light dusting of powder over consolidated snowpack made travel effortless. Sunny, about -2. It really doesn't get any better than that. The only problem was that I already had klister on my main skis so I had to go back to my old beat-up pair (I don't like removing klister in the spring).

Daniel.

Offline lost_patrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 08:56:22 pm »
I think it's just about over, at least here in the south. 

I was camping in Algonquin this past weekend.  The lakes still have lots of ice, so it's safe to cross them.  There is still snow in the bush, but it is very settled and crusted, and there is no longer any sign of the float that was packed on the trail earlier in the seaon, so the toboggan slithers all over the place and falls into all the holes instead of following you.  The snow has melted back from the lakeshores in a big way, so it's hard pulling to get from the lakes into the bush.  And the creeks are open.

However, there is some good news.  In January, I put the bike away ready to ride, so there won't be any shoulder season depression.
"Give me winter, give me dogs.  You can keep the rest."  - Knud Rasmussen
"Ride like you stole something." - Lance Armstrong

Offline fisherman

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 12:25:28 pm »
Id say  trekking is over for us southerners.
The sad realization came as Zel (aka PerchKing) and I had to walk the 2X10’’ planks at the Put-in on Cooks bay this past wknd. :o Shoreline is deteriorating fast. :(
Thanks everyone for a great season. ;D Cant wait for nxt years travels.

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 08:20:59 pm »
Yup, gota to agree there with you although there's plenty of time to upgrade winter gear and setup things and idea's for this coming winter season!!!

HEck its only,,,,, 271 sleeps to prepare for this coming WINTER !!!

See, I've got a tent to reno, shoes to spar, possibly a anaorak in there not to mention sleeping gear, packing things...preparing for a Pre-Freeze, maybe scout a new location or two , or three.........by canoe, or train , or whatever?!

Busy busy busy !!!

;D

with so little time.......

Cheers

IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 11:03:07 pm »
In Hamilton the snow has  been gone for at least a month now.  I have learned so much from this site.  I am really looking forward to doing at least 2-3 good trips next winter.  I am hoping to do some ice travel as well for the first time.  I will have the summer to think about my winter boot system for next year.  Now I am looking forward to doing some good canoe trips this summer and fall. 

Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 11:33:02 am »
15cm of new snow today
Temps below freezing
Ice still think enough to drive a half ton on.

I thiught it was over, but we have a repreive. ;D
Colder is better

Offline White Wolf

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 04:41:37 pm »
Rob

Yeah we got the same snow here was a shocker to wake up and see it.

Locals are still running the ice roads here but the landings are getting messed up pretty good.

Offline lost_patrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 04:48:27 pm »
It's almost over.  In Algonquin Park, there is still snow in the bush and the ice is still solid, but the snow has melted back along the shorelines and the creeks are open.  The trail in the picture follows the streambank. 

Or at least it did earlier in the winter.   A couple of weeks ago, the same spot was starting to melt out, but I cut some brush and threw it over the wet spot, execting it would last the rest of the season.  I was wrong.  :(

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:01:43 pm by lost_patrol »

Offline yukon

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 06:05:51 pm »
Here in the yukon it's never over, you just need to climb a little higher as summer approaches.

Offline lost_patrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 09:15:45 pm »
Not only that, but you have more daylight so you can appreciate it all.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 10:06:44 am »
I want to move to the Yukon!   
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.