View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: In Praise of (Good) Fruitcake  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: In Praise of (Good) Fruitcake
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
rbinhood,,, my typical menu in the bush, in all seasons, is oatmeal with stevia for breakfast, oatmeal with stevia for lunch, and frybread for supper, and fish if I can catch them. Fruitcake is pretty good stuff compared to my normal fare.

And yeah, it's coming summer, with mosquito's taking control of June,,, so too much easy chair time and thinking just now,,,
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”
Old Norwegian Observation

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 10:05:07 PM »
https://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=1186.0
That it it is is indeed.
Want it more cake like and less dense add more eggs but it then becomes more fragile. Want it strong enough to survive in a rucksack for a month simple leave out all the raising agents. Don't like tea simply substitute strong Espresso coffee.
I've also made this up using Boston flour mix [ the one used for BBB in a can] that works very well but chewy. BBB flour is Rye + Oats + Polenta
I should make another batch now for this winters skiing but I've spent all my food stash money on Kram so it will have to wait

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 12:11:03 PM »
so how long do you age fruitecake before  taking it to the field?
when do I start baking for the next winter?

Offline Old Guide

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »
I'm sure many are made in summer or fall but we have always made ours a year ahead of time fall or winter.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »
If I made them that far in advance they would never make it to camping season!

I'm afraid I am a bit of a wimp, preferring lighter fruit cakes with more eggs.
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 12:57:15 PM »
I'm sure many are made in summer or fall but we have always made ours a year ahead of time fall or winter.
can you please share your mom recipe and storage techniques?

Offline Old Guide

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 08:10:43 PM »
can you please share your mom recipe and storage techniques?

I will post it. I can't find my copy but have already called my mother and asked for another.

Offline Old Guide

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 07:41:32 PM »
Here's 'Mom Miner's Fruitcake recipe'-Our family has been using this since 1949 or 50. Mom doesn't remember where she got it. I thought from my Father's aunt. Mom thinks from a cookbook but...isn't sure.
Ingredients-
2cups nuts, 1lb raisins, 1lb dates, 1lb candied fruit, 1/4 cup honey or molasses, 1/4cup sherry or orange juice, 1/2 teaspoon of mace, 2 cups flour, 1 1/4cup brown sugar, 1cup margarine, 4eggs, 1teaspoon salt, 1/2teaspoon baking soda, 1/2teaspoon cloves, 1 teaspoon cinnamon.

Mix fruit, nuts, honey and sherry together.
Cream margarine, add sugar, mix well, add eggs, mix well.
Mix flour, spices, soda and salt together.
Add cream mixture to fruit, stir well until mixed in good.
Add flour and spices and stir well.

Have ready 3, 9x5 pans paper lined and greased. Pre heat oven to 275. Put above mix in pans and bake for 2 1/2hours. Have a pan of water on bottom shelf during baking period.

After cooling wrap [we usually double wrap] in foil. And we always kept the paper liner on the fruitcake, part of the reason the pans were lined to begin with. Store in cool place. DOES NOT need to be refrigerated but can be. Will last well over a year. We always waited six months to a year before eating. I have 3yr old fruit cake unopened that is still moist and old opened fruitcake that is in my pack-its kind of crumbly but still quite tasty.
Its not a simple or easy or inexpensive recipe but it is good.
FYI-We over cooked one batch and after scraping off the burnt crust it was still quite edible just not as moist.
Enjoy.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 12:17:53 AM »
Sound rich
Sounds too good also.
 I'm not familiar with what you term "Candied Fruit " so could you elaborate for me please? We have a mixture here that combines dried currants & raisins & sultanas with preserved citrus peel and maraschino cherries that may be the same stuff and that almost everybody uses as the basis of Xmas cake and pudding

Offline Old Guide

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 03:38:36 PM »
Sound rich
Sounds too good also.
 I'm not familiar with what you term "Candied Fruit " so could you elaborate for me please? We have a mixture here that combines dried currants & raisins & sultanas with preserved citrus peel and maraschino cherries that may be the same stuff and that almost everybody uses as the basis of Xmas cake and pudding

I only know 'Candied Fruit' as a commercially sold product as such. I'll see if I can get more details from Mother.

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 04:10:27 PM »
Sound rich
Sounds too good also.
http://bottegarotolo.com.au/our-brands/ambrosio-candied-fruit/