View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Sliding foot in traditionals  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Sliding foot in traditionals
« on: January 08, 2017, 06:55:10 pm »
Thought this post went through, second time.
I just used my traditional Algonquin style 16/48 shoes. Both feet were in the bindings as tight as I could get them and all was well. But at times my foot would slide to them side.  Much different from my MSR plastic ones which I think lock your foot in tighter. Thanks for helping.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Sliding foot in traditionals
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 07:00:55 pm »
What bindings what footwear?

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 07:59:31 pm »
You can always put modern bindings on trad shoes if you prefer. I have a set of GV ratchet bindings on my monoline bearpaws.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 05:55:56 am »
Faber A3, very cool looking.   I'm going to use them next weekend on a small group trip.  Maybe when I was making turns in my yard I have to slow down.  Difficult to spend more $ on bindings that will be difficult to return, given that I'm here in the US and they product is in Canada.  Thanks

Offline APPaul

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 07:46:45 am »
I have a pair of the same harness on a pair of traditionals that I wear with Sorel pack boots with. I find the boots turn in the harnesses so that both snowshoes have slightly turned in toes. ie: the front of the snowshoes turn in.

It has yet to really affect walking but curious if this is the same thing that is happening to you or does your whole boot just slide around?

Offline AJR

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • Photo Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 09:25:33 am »
Thought this post went through, second time.
I just used my traditional Algonquin style 16/48 shoes. Both feet were in the bindings as tight as I could get them and all was well. But at times my foot would slide to them side.  Much different from my MSR plastic ones which I think lock your foot in tighter. Thanks for helping.

So IOWs, you are saying that your binding is pivoting excessively, where it is tied to the webbing? If so, that's exactly what happened to mine on traditional bearpaws, no matter how tight I tied them to the shoe. It made it fairly dangerous to walk. Here's how I solved that.

Instead of tying them to the webbing, I used wire ties (or zip ties if that's what you call them). Very easy to put on and keep tight. Very strong. I just carry extra ties in my pack, just in case. It totally solved the issue.

The only thing that bothered me about this technique is that I was afraid the sharp edges of the ties would prematurely wear through the leather of the bindings. I used a 1 or 2 inch length of plastic straw (heat shrink tubing would work well too) in each hole of the binding and put the tie through that. the straw protects the leather. I guess you could also soften the edges of the ties with some sand paper if you want.

Andy

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 04:38:10 pm »
With traditional snow shoes, I wear mukluks and indian hitch bindings, foot goes all over the place... If I want to but quite stable when I want to also!! The only time that it really makes a difference, is when I do heavy side hilling!!

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 05:48:10 pm »
My boot stays in contact really well where I laced the leather laces in.  Just seems like it goes a bit sideways when I was walking.  I only spent 5 min outside playing around, will test them out this weekend and ask others about them.  But they were cool and I enjoyed them.  Going up a hill or down will be interesting.  I might bring my MSR's with me just in case.  Thanks   I think I will also google it and see if there are any video's about them.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 07:15:59 pm »
Traditional snow shoes are really different in feel than modern one.  The more you use them the better you get at using them! I don't find many hills that I can't go up... Or down... If it is really steep, then I sometime take them off, or find a better route!

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 08:28:58 am »
This weekend I was able to use them just to pack down my tent area.  We had a mini meeting here in the Southern Adirondacks of NY.  When I explained my problem to Snapper he mentioned that the toe of my boot was not sticking far enough into the opening.  He was exactly correct, a few inches further up and there was less twisting.  All good, can't wait to go out and try them on a longer trip.  Thanks Sanpper!

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 10:35:00 am »
Coldfeet - Glad we were able to solve that problem so easily.  You'll get my consultation fee in the mail any day now  ;D

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 10:56:54 am »
Do you take bagels? 

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 02:35:44 pm »
Bagels are fine.  You may not be as cute as Stacey Tattenbaum but a good bagel is a good bagel  ;)