View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: The best Mountain House Freeze dried dinners?  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
The best Mountain House Freeze dried dinners?
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:39:13 PM »
I've come to depend on Mountain House freeze dried dinners though of the ones I've tried I only really like the the beef stroganoff.  Are there other ones that are pretty good? Ive tried the lasagna and I think the spaghetti and the chili mac but they were just okay. Mountain House is readily available locally but are there other brands that are reasonably priced that are better? Thanks.

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: The best Mountain House Freeze dried dinners?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 08:56:33 AM »
I've come to depend on Mountain House freeze dried dinners though of the ones I've tried I only really like the the beef stroganoff.  Are there other ones that are pretty good? Ive tried the lasagna and I think the spaghetti and the chili mac but they were just okay. Mountain House is readily available locally but are there other brands that are reasonably priced that are better? Thanks.

The reality is, it is going to be expensive to test out many MH dinners to find the ones you like.  The better option would be to learn how to dehydrate meals you already know you like.  Look at the Hungry Hammock Hanger on youtube for ideas.   

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBabelfish5

There is also a whole world of cooking known as freezer bag cooking.  So search that and you'll find recipes to keep you busy for quite some time.

Cheers

Brian

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »
I'm with brian, make it your self!

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 01:07:31 PM »
I've made all of these: http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Meals_On_The_Go

Although, I found I needed to cut back on the boullion granules as it added, for my taste, too much salt.

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 10:41:03 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll get back to them and look into them more but right now I'm trying to get ready for a trip to Voyaguers National Park in Minnesota. I like the idea of making a big quantity of meals then vacuum sealing them in a fast and cost effective manner.

Offline Coldfingers

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 07:08:51 AM »
Mountain House Beef stroganhoff is my wife's and my favorite too.

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 12:14:26 PM »
Of the Big Box Store easily available meals I prefer Backpacker's Pantry over Mountain House. Everybody has different tastes and I lean towards the spicy meals such as Cajun Style Rice and Chicken, Jamaican Style Jerk Rice with Chicken and Louisiana Red Beans and Rice.

I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »
I would agree with the comments about making up your own meals.  There are a lot of combinations you can come up with using just the Knorr products that are supposed to be the "sides" to a meal.  Between the noodle & rice options they offer, you have a lot of possibilities.  Add the meat of your liking (i.e. summer sausage, shrimp, chopped up SPAM, etc.), spices, nuts and/or cheese and there's almost nothing you can't make and enjoy.  The best part is you tailor to your own tastes. 

If you're not up for creating your own meals there are many on-line places to go for backcountry cooking.  Lots of books as well so the resources are almost endless.  It does take some time to zero in on what you like but once you do, I doubt you'll ever go back to using the pre-made, freeze dried foods.  Of course...YMMV.

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »
Pack it gourmet is awesome too!

I picked up some Gluten Free dehydrated Alpine Aire - but a review will have to wait for daughter to sample.
of the Mountain House - Ckn Teriaki is my fav, beef stew is good, ckn breast and mashed is ok -but I grill the breasts after rehydrating and add BBQ sauce and spices.

Second on the Hungry Hammock hangers site.

I dehydrate my leftovers too like chili and spaghetti.  Some items like stew and casserole for winter I will freeze in a pouch and then I have a thaw in the bag meal ala MRE/IMP rations.   
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
I do some of my own packaging but have always brought a couple "store bought" dinners along, summer and winter.  My go to fave for years has been Mountainhouse turkey tetrazzini, but it seems to have disappeared from the shelves of my two regular stores.  If you find it, I'd say give it a try.  I've noticed REI carries Mountainhouse beef stew in bulk - maybe that means it's popular?  Most are better with black pepper and olive oil added! 

Another sort of local brand you might consider is Camp Chow which is made up on the Gunflint Trail by the folks at Trail Center Lodge.  http://www.shop.trailcenterlodge.com/Dinner_c22.htm. They cost a bit more but are not off the chart, and he reviews I've heard have been great.  I've tried two and liked them very much.  They shipped to me for a few bucks, or they are available at a few places along the north shore - and maybe at Duluth Pack in Duluth. 

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 04:54:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I ended up just ordering a bunch of Mountain House meals off of Amazon back on Tuesday and am heading north in the wee hours tomorrow morning. I'll try some of the Backpacker's Pantry meals next trip, but I don't foresee ever having time to dehydrate my own meals in the immediate future. Packing for trips is so time consuming for me, I could easily hire a full time seamstress, baker, metalworker, secretary, and errand run person in the days leading up to the simplest trip. It would be a neat side-branch of wintertrekking though.

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 05:24:56 PM »
I have always found it good to have a dehydrated meal in the camp box, just in case (extra day out, ruin a meal, add a visitor or just a more robust lunch for instance).   Dehydrating can be fun, but it is a bit challenging to put all the ingredients together pre-trip when you are being pulled in a hundred other directions (if you have the itch, you can of course plan and dehydrate weeks in advance of any trip, when things are not as frantic).

Packing is an art form for sure, some (not me) claim to have it down to where it flows together like a smooth bourbon.  Mine tends to have lots of fits, starts and stops and hemming and hawing.  And like that aged alcohol, it should 'improve' with age...

Offline georgecarr

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • Loco Libre Gear
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 08:22:57 AM »
+1 on the Packit Gourmet. I haven't found a bad meal yet.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 01:58:46 PM »
+1 on the Packit Gourmet. I haven't found a bad meal yet.

should note that they ship ova-easy eggs too!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"