View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Spider Hole Photos from Above!  (Read 2923 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Spider Hole Photos from Above!
« on: March 28, 2009, 03:11:05 pm »
Check out these spider hole ice overflow slush photos!   A good buddy of mine from Atikokan area was up flying just after the big dump of snow we had in early March, and he sent me these photos.  In March, we think of the slush as mostly all gone because the snow is packed, transformed and consolidated, and the ice is floating higher, so new cracks won�t start overflow.  But we got about 8 inches of new snow, followed by warm temps, and sure enough with that new weight, out come the spiders!

The big one is obvious, showing the classic spider formation of overflow meltwater channels.   There will be a large slush pocket extending quite far out from this formation, so when trekking, give it a wide detour.   The arrow points to dimpling in the snow, indicating a "stealth spider", with slush expanding under the insulating blanket of snow, but barely revealing itself. 

A baby spider hole near the bottom, and a line of stealth spiders, likely all sprouted from the same crack in the ice.    When trekking, wearing sunglasses or goggles (UV protected) with high contrast lenses really helps to pick up the subtleties in shadows to spot these before blundering into a slush pocket and getting bogged down�ah�.but I have had my share of missing the signs and falling prey to stealth spiders and getting "slushed".

I saved the best for last.  Is this classic or what!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:25:34 pm by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Spider Hole Photos from Above!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 12:25:17 am »
Hello HOOP:  Thanks for the pictures and the write up. 

Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline Soledad

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 05:21:08 pm »
Those pics are great!  I got a snowmobile stuck close to a spider hole in early January and it was a cold wet mess trying to get it out.

Offline steven

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 03:07:36 am »
great pic with arrow.. ;D