View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Homemade Mukluks Help  (Read 4521 times)

Offline TheRuggedWrangler

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Homemade Mukluks Help
« on: January 16, 2017, 12:59:51 am »
Hi All;

Does anyone have experience making traditional Mukluks? I've been interested in making a pair for quite some time and I'm ready to get started. That being said, I haven't been able to find a really good set of instructions on how to make them. I've spent a lot of time on Google and other forums looking. I'm wondering if anyone here has a set of instructions on making Mukluks. Potentially a better set than what I've seen in my google searches.

Also, if anyone has any tips/tricks on making them, that would be greatly appreciated too.

Cheers,
TRW

Offline Canoedog

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • canoedog.ca
Re: Homemade Mukluks Help
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 01:23:41 am »
https://lureofthenorth.com/instructional-booklets/

Instructions for mukluks, moccasins, toboggans........

8)
"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going" - anon.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 09:59:29 am »
Thanks canoedog. Exactly what I was looking for, and much better quality than other guides I found. Added bonus of having mitts and toboggans as well.

Cheers
TRW

wooley

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:09:10 am »
LOTN also has instructions on 'youtube'

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 10:29:46 am »
You might also look up videos on making moccasins.  Traditional winter mocs were nothing more than summer mocs but bigger so a person could wear 18"x18" squares of wool around their feet for insulation.  I've made two sets of winter mocs for my living history activities and it's pretty easy once you have the leather.  Just be sure you put whatever you're going to use for insulation around your feet before making your pattern.  For one set of mocs I "cheated" by using a set of wool bootie inserts that I picked up on-line.  For the other set I used wool nippes (which is what the 18" squares of cloth are called).  In each case I've worn them out in single digits and have been very happy with the results.

To make mukluks you can sew additional material above the winter mocs for the gaiter effect.  While canvas is traditional you can also use leather.  Again, on my winter mocs I've used lightweight deerskin for the uppers.  It breathes like canvas and I already had it around so there was nothing to purchase.

Just a suggestion.  Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your new winter footwear. 

Until next time...be well.

snapper

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 11:18:31 am »
Where abouts would one purchase good quality leather to make moccasins with? I live out in the middle of nowhere so would have to plan a trip somewhere to pick some up.

TRW

Offline snow-walker67

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 12:16:08 pm »
Lure of the North.
Absolutely top notch.

Offline Kalvik

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 02:09:38 pm »
Where abouts would one purchase good quality leather to make moccasins with? I live out in the middle of nowhere so would have to plan a trip somewhere to pick some up.

TRW

The best for traditional moccasins or mukluks is smoke-tanned moose hide, at least for the soles. But that stuff is getting hard to find and is very expensive.

For other leather an internet search will reveal many sources. If you Google "moose-hide" you'll see what I mean by "expensive".

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 02:34:08 pm »
The one place that I get my leather from is called "Sunderland Leather" and it's probably the last of the old time leather companies in Gloversville, NY.  They do have a website, so you could check them out.  The site address is:
www.sunderlandleather.com

You could also look into Moscow Hide & Fur in Moscow, Idaho.  While I don't have their web address handy, their site is pretty extensive.  I would think you could find what you're looking for from either of them.  I know I have purchased moose from both in the past but it was a few years ago.  Hopefully you'll be able to find what you want.

Also, while moose is great, I've used elk as well as thick deerhide for winter mocs so you don't have to use moose exclusively.  That being said, I do think the moose will last longer but that could just be an excuse to make another pair  ::)

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 04:50:00 pm »
Bill Worb Furs in Winnipeg has it.

My mukluk journey.
http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=3810.0
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 05:35:27 pm »
I'm wondering how kangaroo leather would work
Only vegetable tanned skins are available tho and I don't know how breathable those would be
I'd probable need 2 hides at $100- each to get a double layer on the bottom as they are only 0.7 m<2each hide

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 06:35:05 pm »
Bill Worb Furs in Winnipeg has it.

My mukluk journey.
http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=3810.0
This post was great... Still is great!!

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 10:09:25 am »
I have two coyote skins that I have rubbed each with the brains. I am thinking I would like to make liners with the fur on skins like the felt liners I use in my neo overshoes. I have problems keeping my feet warm. I wonder if the skins would be warmer and if they would be strong enough to be walked on.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 11:01:20 am »
I have two coyote skins that I have rubbed each with the brains. I am thinking I would like to make liners with the fur on skins like the felt liners I use in my neo overshoes. I have problems keeping my feet warm. I wonder if the skins would be warmer and if they would be strong enough to be walked on.

Coyote skin is pretty thin, would probably work as liners, but I'm not sure how durable they would be... If the fur is "winter" fur, I think they would be super warm!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:03:47 am by AunNordDuNord »

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 12:08:06 am »
I just looked the price of smoke tanned moose hides on-line and damned near fell out of my chair