View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Lampwick Bindings  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Kalvik

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Lampwick Bindings
« on: January 16, 2017, 02:20:29 pm »
Just curious to know if anyone else is using old-fashioned lamp wick bindings on traditional snowshoes (?).

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Lampwick Bindings
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:29:33 pm »
I've never used lampwicking but I do use strips of wool cut to the same size as lampwick on my traditional snowshoes.  The wool has held up well over time and it allows me to use the snowshoes in living history programs I'm involved in because it was used during the late 17th & throughout the 18th century when lampwick wasn't around.  Strips of leather were also used during that time frame but I find the leather stretches too much for my taste.

Hope that helps.  Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:07:32 pm »
Yes.  Takes a bit to get the fit "right" but then they work great. 
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 03:29:23 pm »
I sure do, But I replaced the lamp wick  by waxed hockey skate laces work great, and easier to find in my neck of the wood!

Offline Kalvik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 04:32:50 pm »
Cool.

I've been using lamp wick for years. A few years back I went to Weaver and Devore in Old Town Yellowknife and asked for six feet of lamp wick. Bud Weaver said, "for snowshoe bindings?". I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that he knew, but try that anywhere else; even if you can find someone who sells the stuff, you'll likely just get a blank stare.

Offline snow-walker67

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 12:19:29 pm »
yes, I use them. absolutely love them.  once they are adjusted properly, they are incredibly easy to put on and take off, and stay on until you take them off.
they are available through Lure of the North.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:22:38 pm »
Cool.

I've been using lamp wick for years. A few years back I went to Weaver and Devore in Old Town Yellowknife and asked for six feet of lamp wick. Bud Weaver said, "for snowshoe bindings?". I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that he knew, but try that anywhere else; even if you can find someone who sells the stuff, you'll likely just get a blank stare.

Amazon sells it in all lengths and widths.

Online kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 01:12:07 pm »
Just wondering, do people use them with modern boots like Sorels? I was told they worked best with moccasins but my wife is using a pair with Sorels and they seem to work fine. I may start using them myself, mainly because field repair is much easier than with the ratcheting bindings I use now.

Kinguq.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 01:27:33 pm »
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Kalvik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 07:46:12 pm »
Just wondering, do people use them with modern boots like Sorels? I was told they worked best with moccasins but my wife is using a pair with Sorels and they seem to work fine. I may start using them myself, mainly because field repair is much easier than with the ratcheting bindings I use now.

Kinguq.

I've only use Steiger mukluks with my lamp wick bindings. I think my big Sorels would wear me out a lot faster.

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 09:20:30 pm »
I use cotton webbing. Same as lamp wick only thicker. I have used lamp wick but prefer the webbing. It is often available at fabric stores in various colours.
I've tried other bindings over the years but the webbing/wick works best for me. I dip the ends in melted bees wax to keep them from fraying.

Offline voyageurpursuits

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 10:36:38 am »

Kinguq.

I use lampwick with my old LaCrosse Sorel-type boots. Works great once you get them dialed in. They're so fast to get in and out of that when I'm out with my hunting buddies I'm always standing around waiting for them to lace up and strap up. One thing I found was that a 6-foot roll of lampwick, as Amazon sells them, cut into 3-foot sections, is almost too short for my size 11 boots. 4 feet of lampwick per foot would be ideal. I use the 1" wide stuff.

Offline mjh

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 01:58:26 pm »
I use lampwick with mukluks.  I have not been able to dial them in with more stiff type boots sorels and the like.  But with mukluks I do like the lampwick bindings.