View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Add me to the list of new Snowtrekker owner!  (Read 5695 times)

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Add me to the list of new Snowtrekker owner!
« on: January 24, 2017, 06:12:12 pm »
The wife gave me permission to buy the 9x11.5 Shortwall plus she said that I didn't have to sell one of my canoes to help fund it!  I'm such a lucky guy.  I need to really work on finishing up chores and doing the right thing.  Don't want to sound to mushy but after 31 years of marriage she has always allowed me to go out and enjoy the great outdoors.  I love Mrs. Coldfeet! 
 Now back to the tent, I ordered the window and door screen to go with it, plus the stove pipe flap cover for off winter season.  I'm going to use my small kni co trekker stove for now and have fun.  Will set it up in a few weeks in the yard, get the heat going and serve dinner and candlelight when Valentine's weekend comes.  How lucky is my wife.  Maybe an overnight and have some hot bagels!  Talk soon.

PS, I found this website through canoetripping last year, it's been fun reading all of your posts on all of the subjects. Keep them coming!  It was really great to talk to Duane and he was very helpful.  We even got to talk about his adventures here in NYC.  Exactly how everyone here mentioned about his was correct, thanks.

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Add me to the list of new Snowtrekker owner!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 06:55:12 pm »
If it isn't too late, get the extra slider on the door zipper. You end up with one at the top and one at the bottom. The one at the top lets you open the zipper from the top down so you can stand and take a look outside or get extra venting if the stove smokes things up. The bottom one is for the usual getting in and out of the tent.
Give them a call and see if they can still do it.
 I use the same tent for solo use. I made a vinyl window and door that stick to the existing velcro. I have used it in the summer with a poly tarp for a floor. Fold the snow skirt in and put the tarp on top.
You will be glad you bought it and with the extras.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 07:28:12 pm »
If it isn't too late, get the extra slider on the door zipper. You end up with one at the top and one at the bottom. The one at the top lets you open the zipper from the top down so you can stand and take a look outside or get extra venting if the stove smokes things up. The bottom one is for the usual getting in and out of the tent. Give them a call and see if they can still do it.

I'm not positive... but the extra zipper might be standard now. If not a second one is easily added; I know as I just added second zippers to my Snowtrekker tents.

Congratulations on the new tent Coldfeet.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:33:04 pm »
When you get your new tent, before you leave home with it, spray the two connectors for the end of the top pole with bright spray paint. It will reduce the chance of losing them if you accidently drop them in the snow.

You have purchased a great tent. One other piece of advice---never, ever store it the slightest bit wet or damp. Hang it to dry immediately upon returning home from an outing. It only takes a few days for mildew to start to grow on wet cotton canvas, and once your tent mildews, it will never be the same. Canvas repair lady here says the largest single repair that she does to canvas tents is fixing mildew rot and stains.

Anyone whose spouse OKs buying a Snowtrekker is lucky to be married to that person. My wife loves a once a year candle lit dinner that we share with friends in a heated wall tent. It has become an annual event for us.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 07:50:23 pm »
rbinhood is right about the pole connectors. I taped mine to the poles with hockey tape.

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 05:54:55 am »
Thanks guys, and I believe that the 2nd zipper has been added but will double check with them.

TheDuct - I read and saw many pics on your site including the plastic inside wall with the zipper, will ask my brother in for help with that.

bioguide- of course I read about where to buy the plastic from your posts.  Going to use it soon on an ADK trip late February,, stop by if your free.

rbinhood- yep , I read and saw hours of video about the connections, drying, spray painting, taping and even ordering an extra connector which I think I will add to the list.  I'm already looking where to hang hooks in my basement (heated if I want to turn it on) so that the tent can dry.  That's one post that I never really found info on.  I'm wondering if most people live in the cold regions how they get their tent to dry out, because it takes up so much space.  Mrs. Coldfeet is the best but she rules where my gear goes! 

Offline GreenFrog

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • NatureIntoAction
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 09:33:44 am »
Haha, way to go for it!  No doubt you will have many excellent adventures ahead.

No more cold camping for your buddies?

The tent door does come standard now with a top and bottom zipper.

Now you just have to painfully wait for it to arrive.

NatureIntoAction Youtube: https://goo.gl/ktggpN

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:43:12 am »
I hang my tent in the basement. It's heated, and less chance of a rodent chewing a hole in it while its drying. When it's dry, I carry it upstairs and fold it on the living room floor. My wife doesn't complain and she knows I am just trying to take care of an expensive piece of equipment. Once folded and in the bag, it goes back into the basement, where it is stored off the floor until its next use. Concrete has acid in it that will eat cotton canvas, so avoid leaving your tent on concrete for any length of time.

I can't tell you the people who I know that made the mistake of storing a canvas tent in their garage, only to find that when they unrolled it, mice had chewed holes through it from one end to the other. I just spent an entire Saturday repairing holes the mice made in the cover to an ice fishing shelter that I made the mistake of storing outside. Also, once they make a nest in a cotton tent, mice will pee all over the tent. Not only does the pee stink, but once it dries, it can become a source of hanta virus, which is usually fatal.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 10:22:15 am »
I'm wondering if most people live in the cold regions how they get their tent to dry out, because it takes up so much space. 

First congrats on the tent!

I have two screws in the joists in my utility/tool room.  I have bungie type hooks that hang from them and it is right beside the furnace.  good air circulation, dry and heated.  tent dries out completely in a couple of days - but I usually leave for the week and pack up on the next weekend.  Like others it gets stored inside off the floor.

Yes many of us have very understanding spouses when it comes to our hobbies.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 11:31:45 am »
I have a couple of ropes strung the length of my detached unheated shop that I hang my tent over. I'll get the wood stove going on the days I have off. I will bring it in and finish drying it on the hardwood living room floor. It then gets folded, put into its bag and I store it on a big sealed tupperware like plastic bin in my shop.
Heed well the warnings on mice and canvas or any fabric for that matter. Remember too that mice can climb. I find 'evidence, of them on the top shelves of the shop.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 11:50:54 am »
I bring mine to work, clear out the break room, hang the tent with rope through the smoke holes across the ceiling, and drape the tent over the break-room table. I run a floor fan inside of it for a couple of days...my colleagues don't mind they actually enjoy the camp fire aroma. Once dry it gets folded and stored in its duffel bag.

I too have an understanding spouse and I must mention that it was my mother-in-law (RIP) that started my hot tenting gear acquisitions by gifting me a FourDog Ti stove ~10 - 12 years ago...

Offline Model97

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 08:28:59 pm »
MICE: I had a $&%^# Zodiac Inflatable chewed up in a shed while rolled up and inside a storage bag.   That was a painful lesson. I managed to successfully patch it, but it wasn't an easy fix.

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 05:03:57 am »
bio- great pic and wonderful memories.

Offline Robin

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 11:15:56 am »
Congratulations on the new tent coldfeet. I hope your trips are many and memorable. Having met your wife I am not surprised she gave you the ok, very nice lady.
And don't forget me when you plan your next trip.  :)

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 12:10:14 pm »
Coldfeet - Looks like you've already received lots of good information on how to dry your tent but I'll add my twist on thing in case you ever have this option.

All my tents & tarps are hung in the upper level of my pole barn.  Since we have a metal roof on the barn, even during the winter months the upper level will warm up nicely.  I do like Bioguide does and run rope through the holes on either end of the tent and then drape out the lower level so the canvas can hang freely without touching anything.  Since it's out of the way, I can wait for the next sunny day if I get home and it's cloudy or snowing.

With all the discussion about mice, since I live in an old farmhouse, the mice are typically worse in my basement during the winter than they are in the pole barn.  Once the tent is dry I store it and all the poles in the large duffle bag it came in when I purchased it (I got mine second hand).

Hope that helps with another option should you need it.  Take care, enjoy your new tent and until next time...be well.

snapper