View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Modern snowshoe materials  (Read 1515 times)

Offline klondike1

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Modern snowshoe materials
« on: January 25, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »
I have a pair of Ursus snowshoes and have had them for about 10-12 years i would say.  Love them.  I  was out looking for a new pair of snowshoes for my wife today and did not see to much that in one way or another they did not look like they will hold up over time.  Has anyone here source martial for the reinforces vinyl that you can use for the decking and any sources of ratchet type bindings or parts.  I can bend and weld my own aluminum tube there so that is not an issue.  I have a few pair of traditional ojibwa snowshoes as well and like them but my wife like the smaller more modern styles.  If i cannot find a set to buy the making them to what i want might be the thing. 

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Modern snowshoe materials
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:14:11 PM »
I don't know if this will help or not but if your wife prefers the newer, modern type shoes you might want to check out LL Bean.  I just received an e-mail stating 25% off all items (including sale items) through Monday, Jan. 30th.  Might be worth a look; and no, I am not an agent for LL Bean.  Just a satisfied customer.

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Offline klondike1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 05:18:42 AM »
I have sourced the material you use for zodiac boats and figure it will be tough enough.  Just looking into bindings.  Have found racing ones but i do not need anything that fancy.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 10:16:38 AM »
You can buy modern style bindings direct from Faber or GV.

Make sure you use the correct aluminum alloy for the frame tubes or the frames could suffer from fatigue cracking.

It does seem like a lot of work when there are so many excellent pairs of modern shoes available. Many are on sale right now as retailers are looking forward to spring.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline klondike1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 03:07:24 PM »
Yes i was out looking but if bindings were ones i liked then the construction of the shoe itself seemed shabby or vice versa.  I have the technology and it will probably never matter. But if i can at a reasonable price then i know what i have.  Thanks

Offline Dave Hadfield

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 10:55:59 AM »
I have 2 sets of modern snowshoes, and don't like them at all. I much prefer the traditional shapes, which nest as you walk and don't require you to walk with your feet apart. And which can be fixed in the bush if there is a break or fault. (No bolts. No rivets. Leather harness.) And which are quiet when the snow is crusty.

Mind you, I'm not mountaineering. If I was, I'd like the crampons of the modern type.

Anyway, I recently bought a set of these, which are a good union of shape plus modern technology -- monofilament.

They came from this outfit in North Bay    https://lureofthenorth.com/shop/product-category/equipment/