View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter 2020/2021 Tentative bucket list trip  (Read 2855 times)

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Winter 2020/2021 Tentative bucket list trip
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 06:03:18 AM »
I'm getting my stuff together an in the queue for a double hip replacement but I am in for and up for almost anything short of climbing Denali

Offline JoDawg

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »
I too would be interested in a trip like this. Just recovering from a hip replacement last Dec. Moondog. You won't regret it, I have my life back. Keep me in the loop on any further discussions on this if possible. I'm waiting on a pair of Kelly's snowskishoes and that would be a great trip for them after breaking them in this season. Maybe we could discuss if anybody is coming to the Ont. Symposium in Nov.

Cheers

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 03:32:36 PM »
Well it is now January 12th 2018 and my Op is scheduled for next Thursday but Right hip only at this stage.
As for my getting back over to North America that still depends on Dads will or my winning the lottery
Maybe I'm dreaming but such wonderful dreams

Offline Chicken Farmer

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 02:55:03 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........2yrs out. Gives me time to accumulate and/or upgrade equipment........... It's a 20hrs drive to Red Lake Outfitters from the flatlands of Ohio, but that's no big deal..........I could be a little more stingy with my vacation time over the next two yrs. and roll an extra 2 weeks ahead for the trip.............Hmmmmmm...................Gotta get Ti stove and -10° bag.........Hmmmmmmmm..........sounds interesting...........

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 06:03:47 PM »
Survived the operation and I'm recovering slowly
I have my airfare over the big pond put into a saving account and now I need some concrete goals. Anybody here ever gone to the Gates of the Arctic National Park in winter? Alaska and Denall look really interesting as another aspect of a Northern winter.
Also just jumping off the Polar Bear Express for a weeks camping as an introduction to the cold and other small group adventures

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 07:31:36 PM »
Glad you survived your operation. Ah, the joys of aging.

As for Bio's suggestion of the Woodland Caribou Preserve, I went on a moose hunt there last October. Flew into and stayed on Telescope Lake. Our outfitter was the same one who flies for Harlan. Viking Outpost. Great people, and very flexible. They flew in a canoe that we brought with us.

The Preserve was beautiful. One morning as we were calling for moose, about a half dozen wolf packs answered our calling. It was quite the serenade. Having seen it unfrozen, it would be a great place for a Winter trip.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 10:13:51 PM »
What are the plans for Deep Freeze 2020?
That gathering was one of the  things that first got me hooked on this forum.
I'd appreciate any referrals to guides and guided trips in and around Denali.
Also some refresher information on clothing for that area, it gets a lot colder there than the East Coast Boreal I am advised

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 05:55:27 AM »
rbinhood; How did the hunt work out with the wolves around? Here, it would have been a flop. Wolves answering your calls don't help with the call! Lots of stories about hunters being encircled by wolves. But the guys with the stories use lots of urine.

The laker fishing seems great in that park if I base my judgement on a Robinet video.

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 12:47:27 AM »
Getting closer
LOTN isn't yet taking bookings for 2020 but a trip with them may still be on my list as a break-in to deep cold. A part of me wants to have a close look at Denali tho. I now have LW a really warm sleeping bag, ditto the new down parka and I have confirmed an order for a twin Paris based pulk system.
Looks like late October / early November 2020 is when I'll arrive in New York and seeing Family won't take more than a day or two

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 02:34:13 PM »
Looks like late October / early November 2020 is when I'll arrive in New York and seeing Family won't take more than a day or two

Got your priorities in order I see!  I really do hope North America lives up to your expectations Moondog and good for you on chasing your goals.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Today at 06:40:05 PM »
Despite the added extra high cost I may apply for an extended visa rather than the 90 day electronic one. Just in case family ask me to stay a bit longer. My savings account isn't growing any larger either and I need to make an effort to increase my balance before I fly over, my pension income won't go far in the USA and even less so in Canada and Alaska. Buying a van is going to take a bit more than I would pay here, old vans are no longer cheap in America I am told