View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Setting up Atuk Kanguk. Video?  (Read 973 times)

Offline Nmakinen4212

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Setting up Atuk Kanguk. Video?
« on: November 04, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find a video how to of setting up the Atuk Kanguk or something similar. Thank you for the help!

Offline Marko_Mrko

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up Atuk Kanguk. Video?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 07:36:30 PM »
Hi there!

There are several topics about this on this forum, but there are issues with the pics. I'm not sure I have a video, but here's a description.

Best with two people (especially tightening the set-up), but I've done it solo easily.

Materials. You will need:
1) Tent stakes: At least 5, and up to 15. 12" stainless steel spikes from Home Depot are good for most weather (you can pound them into frozen ground). In snow, I like to use the Bulldog Aluminum Snow Stakes (12", NOT 8" - the 8" are not long enough). For the snow stakes, I have a 2-foot loop of cord to for the deadman stake set-up.

2) Guy lines 10 for the corner and side tie-outs (20-30 feet each);  5 for the bottoms (5-6 feet each) - to attach snow stakes (see post below).

3) Central pole: Adjustable is ideal (I use an old chainsaw fiberglass pole). About 8 feet high (a bit shorter). Other options are the MSR tarp pole, and princess auto aluminum posts.

4) Central pole base: Otherwise the central post sinks into the mud/snow - I use an 8" square of 1/2" thick oak, with 1/4" oak on top)

Next post is on setting up the tent...

M
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:50:17 PM by Marko_Mrko »

Offline Marko_Mrko

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 08:33:41 PM »
Setting up the tent (best with two people, especially at the start).

1. Location: you'll need a clear area of about 12'. Make sure you have snow that's deep enough, or that the ground isn't so hard that you can't pound in the the steel spikes.

2. Sintering the snow:
Stomp down the snow, let it sit for an hour. This allows the chemical bonds in the snow to strengthen.

3. Lay out the tent. Make sure it's zipped up. You'll want all angles to be equal, and all sides to be equal. Sod cloth: leave it facing outside when pitching in the snow. Tuck it in if pitching on land.

4. Pound in the stakes. If in snow, make a T-shaped cuts with the snow shovel. Place snow stake line into the T-cut, and attach the stake loops to the guy lines at the tent corners. I like to use a tautline hitch for all guy lines, that allows it to tighten (both during set-up, and as the tent sags). https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/tautline-hitch Tighten the five corners, keeping the angles all equal.

Also note the 5-foot tie-outs from the bottom corner. If not on snow, just pound the stakes into the ground through the nylon loops (keep them tight).

5. Unzip the tent, step into the door. Place the centre pole into the top of the tent, and raise up. Place into the centre pole base. If adjustable, have the centre pole about 6" lower than the actual height. This will allow you to get the tent nice and tight.

6. Tie the corner guy lines - either to the stakes in the ground, or to trees. Keep them a bit loose.

7. Tie the side guy lines - same as above. You can use a single tree/stake for both a corner and side guy, but it will distort the tent a bit.  Again, keep a bit loose.

8. Tighten the corners. Try and keep the tension equal all around. Then tighten the side guys. Then the corners. Etc. Repeat until all are pretty tight.

9. Raise the centre post to the max height.

10. Insert the stove.

Cheers
Marko
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:22:09 AM by Marko_Mrko »

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 10:43:40 PM »
hey Marko, for some reason your link (which is correct) doesn't work.

let's see if this helps https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/tautline-hitch

Offline Nmakinen4212

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 09:00:29 AM »
That is super helpful! Three quick followup question. What type of rope do you use? Currently I have paracord on my tent but want to switch it out for something that won't stretch. How deep does the snow typically need to be to use the snow anchor technique vs just spikes?

Offline Marko_Mrko

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 09:14:30 AM »
Re: cord. I use 3mm utility cord. Don't want it too thin, as it's hard to handle with mitts in cold weather.

Re: snow. I've done in with 4" snow, by piling snow around the tent to increase depth.

M

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »
Re: cord. I use 3mm utility cord. Don't want it too thin, as it's hard to handle with mitts in cold weather.

Re: snow. I've done in with 4" snow, by piling snow around the tent to increase depth.

M

I recommend using reflective cords for your guy lines, saves much embarrassment when you have to step outside for a call of nature at 3 a.m. The glowire from Lawson Equipemnet is excellent and comes in 2mm or 3mm versions.
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for custom made gear and fireboxes