View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Last ski today?  (Read 3345 times)

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
Last ski today?
« on: April 11, 2009, 07:32:32 pm »
Went to the North Bay Nordic club trails for a last ski today, and the conditions were surprisingly good. Had to walk the first 100 m, then it was fine with no bare spots after that. Great klister conditions. There is a shocking amount of snow in the bush, considering there is almost none in town.

There was nobody else there on a beautiful sunny day. I think people tend to give up on winter too soon. That being said I guess it is fairly unusual for here to be able to ski in mid-April.

It doesn't have to be the last ski, I may go tomorrow too!

Happy Easter Holiday

Daniel.

Offline North61

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Last ski today?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 09:52:15 am »
Nah... a good months worth of skiing here in Inuvik!

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 10:03:12 am »
Well, I recently moved here from Tromso, Norway at 70 N, and there we could ski into May. Before that we lived in Iqaluit and there we could ski into June. So the season seems a bit short here....

Another beautiful day, out skiing again...

Daniel.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 01:15:35 pm »
Please post photos for us stuck in town!

There is still quite a bit of good snow in the bush north of here, and the lake ice is still  good.  We have had a beautiful dry late winter/ early spring, so the lakes are not flooded on top (I think....I have not been out lately).  I should be up north with the klister in this glorious high pressure system that we have had for a week now.   
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 06:38:15 am »
Just got back from ski trip to Newfoundland. 3 feet of snow in Gros Morne. We skied two bearutiful corn days, then it snowed the rest of the week. Heard the Gaspe got 18" during that time!

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 12:32:36 pm »
Pics!  We need pics!
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline lost_patrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:25:04 pm »
There may still be snow in Newf, but my season is done.  No snow left in the bush, and today I worked on a bit of next year's firewood (using a vintage 48" bow saw!) and then watched the last of the ice leave the lake with a dram of single malt in my hand.  Not a bad way to welcome spring.
"Give me winter, give me dogs.  You can keep the rest."  - Knud Rasmussen
"Ride like you stole something." - Lance Armstrong

Offline michel

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 05:02:44 pm »
I went ice fishing for lake trout skiing yesterday .since I can only go next Tuesday the ice will be too bad.so that was my last day.Next week canoeing,in creek.

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 06:44:19 am »
Bad news. I deleted all 60 of my photos from my camera :(

Here are a few from my ski buddies.

This beautiful bowl is steeper than it looks here. Tops out at 38 degrees.

Here is a southern view.

I'll send a few more when I get them.