View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Hard water season arrives...  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Marko_Mrko

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Hard water season arrives...
« on: November 12, 2017, 01:09:09 PM »
Looks like the season is here, caught a couple of people off guard. I was planning to canoe in the Kawarthas next weekend, I think we will base camp in Algonquin instead

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/dianne-whelan-rescue-adventure-1.4399325

They were prepared, and the video is pretty cool. But still...

M

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Hard water season arrives...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
I was out this weekend, most lakes are open, only few small ponds are frozen in Kawarthas and Haliburton.
and we do get warm spell this week

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 07:35:51 PM »
Hummmmm ...it be Northern Ontario....November....I wonder what could happen.
It seems people easily forget or just take for granted how quick winter can set in
Kudo's to them for being, at least in general, prepared. Not like they were in any sort of life threatening situation and Family came in and hauled them out.
30 day food supply on hand would seem like the ADV is just beginning....just need a hot tent, snowshoe drop and trade the canoe for a sled haha
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:10:17 AM »
I'm three hours north east of Thunder Bay, we've had a foot and a half of snow on the ground for two weeks alredy.  I've had my ski doo out several times.  The lakes are covered in thin ice already.  Probably do some snowshoeing this weekend.  Earliest winter I can remember, where we have actually had snow that stayed from October.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 07:58:39 PM »
20cm of ice at Lake Audy this weekend with a bit of slush in places.

The traditional way of dealing with this would have been to sit it out until the ice was thick enough for travel, maybe carving a sled to carry the canoe.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Goose

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 09:02:07 PM »
BV, I'm assuming that you meant to write 2cm of ice, rather than 20cm?  At 20 cm, surely the ice is thick enough/new enough for safe travel.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 10:58:34 PM »
20cm is entirely possible for the Riding Mountain area given our temps recently.  I am heading that way in December.  How deep is the snow BV?

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 07:27:32 AM »
Just an observation as to how much ice we had to cut through to collect water. I presume Audy is pretty shallow leading to more rapid ice formation than some deeper boreal lakes, even so it shows that it doesn't take long once ice starts to form for it to get quite thick. We were very cautious about venturing out but once we had cut a few holes we realised that it was fairly safe. The local wolves had killed a deer about 75 yards from shore and other were wolf and coyote tracks on the fresh snow. Over the course of the weekend the carcass was dragged closer to shore.

Snow was only shallow on the ice but on the trails it was up to 30cm deep, snowshoes were definitely needed on unpacked trails.

I am a bit surprised she found the fact the lake was frozen "unbelievable" winter has been restraining it's arrival for several weeks. They must have known they were cutting it very tight.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
J

Snow was only shallow on the ice but on the trails it was up to 30cm deep, snowshoes were definitely needed on unpacked trails.

so jealous. I drove to Haliburton in Friday, Kawarthas has about 10-15 cm snow, in Minden 0 snow.  drove on 35  30 minutes , found 5cm nonconstant