View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: 2017 Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon Starts Sunday Jan 30  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
2017 Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon Starts Sunday Jan 30
« on: January 17, 2017, 05:37:11 pm »
In case anyone is in or could be in the neighborhood, the doggies will start running in Two Harbors on Sunday at 11am with teams going out for several more hours, and will keep running for a few days.  In case any folks in the Thunder Bay area are interested, but race course has changed and goes into Grand Portage just an hour or so away.  Teams will start arriving there Monday evening sometime, and be heading back down toward Duluth early the next morning. 

Here's some of the visitor scoop.  http://www.beargrease.com/fanraceinfo.htm.   Last year i set up my tent and hung out at the Sawbill Checkpoint for 4 days and had a blast.  Not sure yet if I'll be able to or not, but very much hope so. 

Slushwalker - you heading up there this year??

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon Starts Sunday Jan 30
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 08:26:10 pm »
Hello Jawax,

My plans for camping the Beargrease have not jelled yet. I hope to be at Sawbill again but I'm working on some conflicting events. I have 2 Luci lights now! After you showed me yours last year, I had to try them.  They provide an amazing amount of light in a white tent!

I think there was about 5 or 6 hot tents at Sawbill last year. The place we camped has been re-constructed by the Forest Service. There may be more open space but I have not seen the area.  Have you ever camped at Finland for the Beargrease?

-SW
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 06:20:16 pm »
I think there was about 5 or 6 hot tents at Sawbill last year. The place we camped has been re-constructed by the Forest Service. There may be more open space but I have not seen the area.  Have you ever camped at Finland for the Beargrease?

No, but I stopped by there for the day last year.  The checkpoint is at a rec center next to a baseball field - it works, but doesn't have the wilderness feel of Sawbill where the closest thing to a rec center is a giant Snowtrekker tent!  Good luck to both of us getting up there. 

Offline redneckdan

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:03:25 pm »
Jen and I will be up there again. Staying the duration this year. Kni-Co stove for our snow trekker should arrive monday. Our four dog will be in the vet tent again. Got another good marmot -40 bag so we are going to try letting the fire go out at night. Hoping to rip some UHMW blanks and get a couple toboggans built, otherwise it's the damn otter sled again...

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:52:28 am »
Ah yes, didn't you guys just stay one night?  I recall talking with you, and think I helped take down that stove and vet tent. I'm definitely a "let the stove go out" guy, but it's not looking too cold right now any ways.  I'll know in a couple days if I can make it up.

Offline redneckdan

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:24:00 pm »
Yeah we stayed for one night last year because of work issues I had to address on monday.

Stove arrived today. Need to pick up and elbow tomorrow and burn it off.

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 11:07:47 am »
Just a heads up, the 2018 John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon starts Sunday January 28th. I have camped at Sawbill Checkpoint several times in the past and it is a great opportunity to camp and be a part of the event (unfortunately, I can't make it this year). Hot tents fit right in with an event like this. There are many places to camp along the route. 

https://beargrease.com/

-SW
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez