View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winnipeg Region Group Trip Jan 2018  (Read 2257 times)

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Winnipeg Region Group Trip Jan 2018
« on: September 07, 2017, 04:33:54 pm »
It's a slow day at the office after a day of meetings and long lunch so....I got's to thinking...

January - because December is a coin toss and I have plans for Dec & Feb.  Could be March now as I retired from tax prep.
I am taking my snow machine - unless its broken 'cause I spent way too much $ not to use it and I am over 50 now and yes that's an excuse.
Icefishing - could be done.
Baked tasty treats - cause its fun to do.
Assorted blends of fermented and aged bevy's - see previous reason
Maybe dogs - unless wolves are around - but I could pack some "ahem" persuasion.

Interested parties can pile on but I have started the discussion process.

We had an awesome group outing back in '15 I think and some new folks locally may want to get out.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: Winnipeg Region Group Trip Jan 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:52:44 pm »
Over 50 is not an excuse. I think the majority of folk on here are over 50. Besides, you were young enough to hike the West Coast Trail last year so man up and get hauling!

But if you want to bring your sled and haul all my, I mean your, gear to the campsite that is fine.

Leave the shooter behind, a slingshot is a better option and leaves room for error!

Maybe look at a location depending on who is interested? Lots of places in teh Whiteshell with easy access and plenty of ploughed parking.

I wouldn't be averse to NW Ontario if that would make it more accessible.

www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 11:43:36 am »
you were young enough to hike the West Coast Trail last year so man up and get hauling!
Ha Ha
On a messed up ankle to boot!

All perfect points BV - I just want to get out more this winter and do stuff and thought I would get a discussion going. 

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:50:49 pm »
Just pulling your leg ;)

Maybe we should have trip planning social?

Look at some trip pictures and some video, put up some maps and get some ideas for routes?

Having your sled along to pack a trail from Wallace through to Siderock and then up to Obukowin would make a trip up to WCPP achievable. I think one of the Winnipeg schools used to do this each year with dog sleds.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 10:21:00 am »
Just pulling your leg ;)

Maybe we should have trip planning social?

Look at some trip pictures and some video, put up some maps and get some ideas for routes?

Having your sled along to pack a trail from Wallace through to Siderock and then up to Obukowin would make a trip up to WCPP achievable. I think one of the Winnipeg schools used to do this each year with dog sleds.

a gathering is a thought.  On a route like that one could set up a basecamp just outside and do day hikes into WCPP. 

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 06:45:26 pm »
Hey BV, GF,

Emerging from a very busy time am I, only to see your posts about a group trip in Jan. Excellent idea!!!

Judging by the phenomenal quality of the last trip with you, BV, (finest company, easiest hauling, best food, sunniest days, most interesting route, etc., etc.) any further trip is likely to be a bust, but there is but one way to find out - and that is by heading out on a new trip, with a big smile on!

Other than very early January, I'd be limited to a 3-day weekend, but I'd be happy to meet you in there somewhere, or leave a little earlier than you, should you be staying longer.

If you are looking to bolster the size of the Wpg Area group, please count me in. Hey, we could take the draft-in-the-front-and-draft-in-the-back stove, too if you liked!

I've got no issue travelling with a piston head (term of endearment, for sure :) especially if the pulling is easier on your track, GF. Maybe you'd consider packing that trail earlier in the month? Kidding, kidding !! ;)

NE of Wallace L would be neat country to see, for sure.

St John's Cathedral Boy's School did do snowshoe trips from Wallace NW to their (still existing) cabin just upstream of Wapeskapek L (sp?) on the Gammon R. Maybe that is the past school trip you are thinking of, BV? That would be an interesting route to reconnoiter as it would be long, and I doubt if it has been in use recently.

But, the destination is not as important as just "getting out", for there is nothing but adventure beyond the road head.  :D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:08:07 pm by Undersky »

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 09:54:39 am »
I've got no issue travelling with a piston head (term of endearment, for sure :) especially if the pulling is easier on your track, GF. Maybe you'd consider packing that trail earlier in the month? Kidding, kidding !! ;)

That is a great idea!

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 02:34:33 pm »
Hi GF,

If, if, if it all works out - that we do get a good snow pack, that we are having a trip, that family plans allow, that you do want another set of arms to heave your sled out of the potential slush, etc., and IF you want to make a day trip earlier in the month to pack a base for man hauling later in the month, I would like to help out on that day.

Dean

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 03:38:55 pm »
A pre-trip recce is always a good idea.

I think the location for a group event may have to factor in who is coming along; wives and partner's may not be so taken with a lengthy death march following behind a throttle happy GF as he disappears off into the great white beyond at high speed!

Out hiking at the weekend we decided that the Seagrim chain was not on our list as we always seem to struggle finding good firewood. We also wondered whether the low water levels this fall would make it worth taking another look at the Rabbit River and Cole Lake again?

Wonder if would be worth taking a drive up that way as far as Wallace in October to check things out?

There was also some discussion as to whether we could slip the caretaker at ELA $50 to plough us a parking spot along the gravel road just at the canoe launch?

BV

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 10:52:47 am »
All excellent points, which is why I started the thread. 
Having extra hands is always appreciated when unsticking the skis from those small pesky trees that seems to get caught on the arm.  Although, I think I am getting better at judging which ones will bend and which will not! 

As for scouting times - Dec 4-24 is out - Probably not enough snow/ice anyway. 

FYI  Wapeskapek L (http://jacksonslodge.com/lodges_outposts/1_wapeskapek.html) is about 19 miles from Wallace as the crow flies.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:16:25 pm by GearFreak »

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 10:43:04 am »
In conversing with BV via email he is aware work has me pinned down pretty good during the first 2 weeks of the month so additional days are hard to take during that timeframe but I am breathing life into this discussion.  I am available weekends.  Late Feb/March opens up without tax clients this year.

How is the ice in nopiming and around Davidson lake?

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 03:25:42 pm »
if a trip is in the works for February/ March...count me in! I haven't seen you guys in years.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 06:49:01 pm »
if a trip is in the works for February/ March...count me in! I haven't seen you guys in years.

will do!

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 04:39:07 pm »
Looks like we will be heading out Feb 2nd til the 4th.

Let me know if that works.

We'll certainly have another outing at least once in that month, weather permitting.

If there are dates that are good for you then let us know.

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 05:45:05 pm »
If it is OK for you guys I would love to drop out for a visit on the 3rd or 4th. (I don't think I can do the overnight what with work.)

This time I'll bring something good to eat for sharing, and any other care pkg items you guys might need.

Eh?? Did you say "just butter tarts"? Oh, and some dulce de leche ...... Mmmmmmm,.....both warmed, served together! Aaahhhh.