View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Advise on Sorels  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Advise on Sorels
« on: October 16, 2017, 06:41:24 pm »
Looks like I'm trying to figure out this boot stuff again.  Would like to try Sorels again and thought about buying used pair on eBay.

Question, do you advise going 1/2 to a full size larger and wear extra socks?  I noticed the "Kauffman" brand.  Was that the model made in Canada and is better than the Caribou?   I read Hoops message about the larger toe box with the old double liners.  Tough to find those oldies.

I did get rid of a pair of Sorels years ago, just rubbed the heck out of my right ankle.  Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.  CF.

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Advise on Sorels
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 07:24:52 pm »
By the way, there are so many different Sorel styles out there, Badger, Caribou.   I saw something that looks like a large toe box, Arrowhon?  Been eyeing it for a even late last Spring.   Can't really find reviews online.   Thanks

I'm presently using a nice boot (can't recall name), comfortable, I do a lot of winter snowshoeing with them.  Just thought about something different for that wet stuff.   Thanks

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 07:36:01 pm »
Hi, please skip my message.  It looks like I'm asking the same old message from last year.   I'll just stick to my boots and wait until the time comes when I have to buy something.  Thanks..

PS I'm reading old posts now, I really don't want to hike in heavy boots anymore, considering my knees are bothering me again. 

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 08:14:45 pm »
I really don't want to hike in heavy boots anymore, considering my knees are bothering me again.

Coldfeet, I bet you haven't renewed you planet fitness membership yet have you?:  https://youtu.be/raMTHCMTBek?list=PLmTvaHNPvlcZXhbrrrbZpj3BbIekET3ZK&t=364

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 09:27:50 pm »
Ah Kelly, nope I haven't but I did lose some weight eating healthier. But I did fire up the stove and made some Buck wheat pancakes for the gang on Robins ADK canoe tripping gathering last weekend. Hmmmm good!  Thanks.

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:56:12 am »
I had relatives that worked at the Kaufman plant in Cambridge, so am quite familiar with the Sorels! Kaufman was a quality shoe and boot manufacturer in Kitchener and Galt, Ontario (which later became Cambridge). the Sorels were made in Canada primarily for the industrial and farming user and were each hand stitched on lasts, and were virtually untouched for decades. Along came  recreational snowmobiling, and demand soared. The four original basic models (10" or 12', plain or steel toe) were no longer enough, and copycats from all over the world became popular. As with all popular shoes and boots, Kaufman could no longer compete with cheaper manufacturing methods and eventually closed their doors in 2000.
Over the years, the Sorel name became synonymous with high-quality outdoor boots, and the name eventually was used for any felt-pac boot. I still have some 30 yr old Sorels

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Advise on Sorels (Neoprene VBLs)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 02:30:48 pm »
Whatever removable liner winter boots you buy I highly recommend wearing 3 mm seam sealed neoprene divers sox. These are the best and most comfortable vapor barrier liner (VBL) sox I've ever used. Wear thin polypro or polyester liner socks. And carry a clean pair of these thin socks for every day to avoid having to wash and dry them.

***These divers sox are very warm and absolutely will keep your sweat from wetting out the felt, Thinsulate or foam liners of winter boots. Trying to dry felt pac liners by a fire is misery and takes a  l - o - n - g  time.

Remove the divers sox at bedtime, turn them inside out to dry for 15 - 20 minutes inside the tent and put them in the foot of your bag to finish drying and keep them warm for morning. The skanky liner socks go into a 1 qt. Ziplok bag!! Put a new pair of thin liner socks on and your thick sleeping socks.

I recommend removing the felt pac liners and putting them in the foot of your bag too for warm feet in the morning.

BTW, I've found US Divers brand neoprene sox the very best. They have distinct Right and Left feet for a better fit and are factory seam sealed.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: Advise on Sorels (Neoprene VBLs)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 03:11:42 pm »

BTW, I've found US Divers brand neoprene sox the very best. They have distinct Right and Left feet for a better fit and are factory seam sealed.

I have used LeisurePro for some Cressi 3mm shorties and assorted dive gear.  Good online Dive shop otherwise your local dive shop will probably be kind of pricey unless your in a dive hotspot.  http://www.leisurepro.com/

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"