View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Back in the track again  (Read 734 times)

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
Back in the track again
« on: November 01, 2017, 10:12:47 PM »
Howdy Rabble,

Thanks be to Hoop for restarting the stove!

December has settled in, the cordwood is stacked, and the shop is uncharacteristically clean and organized. Much has happened since I last posted in (2014?). I bought an adult strength website, trimmed a few products, and hired help. It darn near killed me, but it was all worth the effort.  I figger I've got about 20 good working years left in me, so I'll give the business and honest try.  I find myself doing a lot less sewing, and far more actually busy work: cutting, ordering, machine maintenance, etc.

Teaching one talented sewer to adopt my archaic methods was fun, but humbling. The huge mileage deduction (6 hour round trip) offset the increase in income. My second recruit didn't pan out, but number 3 shows promise. With luck, the three of us can keep the shelves full, and let the website run on autopilot.

Empirecanvasworks.com 3.0, with the shopping cart, mobile friendly, etc has been a boon. Though I do miss the customer contact, letting folks browse at their pace is a far more humane and ecumenical way to operate. Don't let the polish fool you. I'm still as pleasantly disorganized as always.

Items still sell out just about as fast as I/we can build them, there's just a slight buffer now.  I'll hold off  on new ideas as long as I can, but I would delight in showing off how we hammer out our current items.

Enjoy the month!

Kevin
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:36:07 PM by Kevinkinney »
Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967

www.empirecanvasworks.com

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Back in the track again
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 04:33:46 AM »