View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: What are your new winter camping acquisitions? (Or wish list)  (Read 2457 times)

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
What are your new winter camping acquisitions? (Or wish list)
« on: November 15, 2017, 08:51:22 pm »
I'm pretty much "there" when it comes to winter camping gear.

-> Eddie Bauer PEAK XV baffled down expedition parka (An amazingly warm parka)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-> Council Tool Woodcrafter's axe W/ 19" handle & "bra" type leather sheath

-> REI FLASH 3 Season Insulated air mattress (But may need 4 Season mattress depending on how the 3 season does in winter.

-> LL Bean Norwegian made heavy wool ski sweater.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017  Duluth Trading Co. "Dry-on-the-Fly" fleece lined nylon cargo pants. (for years I've had TNF GTX ski shell pants & Cabela's GTX & Thinsulate insulated and for severe weather ski pants) The newer Duluth pants are more versatile than the GTX shell pants - and warmer.

->And a new LL Bean -20 F. down bag. Best I've ever seen - anywhere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRIOR to 2017
->Thermarest Trail Pro mattress and a RidgeRest CFC mat to layer beneath in extreme cold.

->Tarptent Moment DW solo tent and SCARP 2 two person tent, both totally winterized with special crossing poles under the flys.

->Relatively new 3 fuel MSR Whisperlite Universal stove and a 2 qt. JetBoil finned pot for melting snow. (white gas version for winter)

->For years I've owned two Candoil telescoping oil lanterns for tents. Just one warms a tent up nicely.

->Depending on transportation mode I have Scarpa T3 backcountry ski boots, SOREL felt pacs and Mickey Mouse boots plus GTX gaiters.

->light eVent parka or a longer GTX mountaineering parka.

->OR GTX mitten shells and EMS double layer fleece liner mitts and boiled wool Dachstein liner mitts

-> Two pair GTX gloves shells and several pile liners->Himalayan fleece lined wool knit "Peruvian style" hat

->Atomic TM 2 telemark skis, Asnes Combi Combat touring skis and MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes

->Jet Sled pulk (re-doing new X'd wands)

UPDATE: Added Gear
1. REI All Season FLASH Insulated air mattress (W/5.3 R value (for winter, natch)

2. Eddie Bauer PEAK XV expedition down parka (Amazingly warm and EB rates it for -30 F. but it feels like at least a -40 F./C parka.) Got a coyote fur ruff foe it! Now to attach it W/Velcro strips.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:35:03 pm by 300winmag »

Offline Jeff

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: What are your new winter camping acquisitions? (Or wish list)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 01:36:04 am »
All I have on my wishlist is snow...and cold temperatures would be nice as well...

Take care

Jeff

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 05:17:55 am »
Airline tickets to come visit would be nice and on my Santa list

Offline Forse07

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 09:55:53 am »
This year I added a custom made top bag from BV, I am very excited to try it out in a few weeks here. The biggest item on my wish list is the four dog ti stove. I currently have a ti stove but it is a barrel stove and I miss being able to heat things on top of it. I like to make a couple upgrades every year but coming in around $900 this will have to wait for a couple years.

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 10:47:19 am »
Your round top stove does not do the cooking as well as one with a flat top. A lot of people with flat top stoves carry gas stoves to cook on because their cooktop is not hot enough.
If you added a square top extension to the top of your stove you would have a baffled stove with a hotter cooktop. The smoke would move out of the round stove at the back chimney hole then travel the length of the stove to a new chimney port in the front of the stove.
Maybe another way to do it is to have your chimney serve as a riser pipe taking smoke very close to the top inside of a vertical 5 gallon pail. An exit port for the smoke cut in lower on the side of the pail. This would give you a very hot cooktop but only for one pot. You would almost double your heat output that would radiate horizontally.
Maybe do both additions and have a super cook stove.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:16:59 am by chimpac »

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 02:17:44 pm »
I think Jeff hit the nail....if we are going to have winter at least we should have snow and not a piddly amount for looks either..

For me at this time I'm pretty well set... if I was to take it further for gear then a larger wood stove to keep up on them extreme cold days and maybe going all in on a sled and bags but in the mountains that has limits so everything for me is geared to being able to backpack it. If we actually get snow accumulation I will play with the pulk sled and see what it can do
Other than that it be spending more time being homeless in the woods hahahaa
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:22:16 pm »
Bought a 9ft Black River sled
Tank made by BV, very nice!
used Kni co Alaskan Jr.
vintage bear paw snowshoes
modified bear paw snowshoes (just cool looking, couldn't resist)

Possibly a cotton Anorack in a few weeks

Looking at another set of boots, very difficult to figure it out
I like the Boreal Mountain wool RAK.

Wish list, health and happiness 

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 09:43:16 pm »
If you are interested in a wool anorak check out

Fred Asbell

https://asbellwool.com/
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Foxfire

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 10:09:43 pm »
A pair of snowshoes and a pair of mukluks! Are on my list.

Offline arcticmag

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 10:30:38 pm »
Just got a used cold handle fry pan in the mail today. Can't wait to try it out.
Make friends with the wolf, but keep your axe ready.

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 05:51:32 pm »
Thanks BV, that's affordable  ..

Also forgot that I was given 2 cold handle frying pans, but I also gave away 2 flying pans.  It felt great giving them away and watching my friends reactions.  Sadly to say I inherited one back after an illness took away a close friend.  But now when I use it, his memory and spirit is with me. 

Offline jscudds

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 07:10:06 pm »
New Aquisitions:
Cot
Woods prospector 10 x 12
Kni-Co Alaskan
Soon- to be built 9 foot toboggan
Snow pants
Fire Gloves
maybe a new saw tor replace my silkie gomboy after reading the post on saws
Wish List:
Stove Bag
more merino wool(cant have enough)
UCO candalier
stove shelf
new longer hut booties
thermarest solite ridge rest to boost my exped
ice chisel
boots

want to make or alter:
gear hammock for inside tent
sod-cloth for bottom of tent
wanigan

Online AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 10:24:08 pm »
I've got pretty much all we need figured out... I will try and make some simple bevy bags this year if I get to find the time... But I just got my self a nice vintage Hults Bruk Arvika 5 stars 4 1/5 pounds axe wile on  a trip to the Sunshine coast!!! Can't wait to get it sharp and make a new sheet of it.... Ont he same trip, I got a nice old Canadian made Pioneer double cruiser wool jacket... It is nice and heavy and warm and it was cheep!!

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 11:08:14 am »
I think I'm at a point to where I don't really "need" anything, unless I just want lighter, and inherently more expensive, gear to replace what I have,,,

I could stand to be maybe 20 years younger,,,
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”
Old Norwegian Observation

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 12:56:16 pm »
All I have on my wishlist is snow...and cold temperatures would be nice as well...

I agree wholeheartedly with this item. 

In my area of the greater toronto area, we did get a light dusting of snow last night.  Haven't had snow show up this early in years.  I want a proper winter like we had when I was a kid. 

I am pretty much set with my winter camping gear as is.  Although I've been pondering how I can get a lighter weight version of my canvas wedge hot tent set up for stringing my hammock through. 

Cheers

Brian