View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Not a great camp this week  (Read 295 times)

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Not a great camp this week
« on: January 18, 2019, 08:12:31 PM »
Went to 9,500 ft.in Las Vegas' Spring Mountains Wednesday. I used my Atomic Telemark skis and climbing skins. My70 liter Dana Terraplane  pack was 38 lbs. with a 2 person Tarptent Scarp 2 tent, -20 F. down bag, -40 F. down belay parka, MSR Whisperlite Universal stove (white gas mode) and other necessary items with meals for 2 1/2 days.

My purpose was to test the "winterizing" mods I had made on my Scarp 2 tent under a snow load B/C the US sweater Service had forecast 2 ft. of snow at that altitude. The mods were optional X'd crossing poles that I ran under the fly for much better wind and snow load than the factory exterior straps system.

Anyway, rain, not snow, from 11:00 PM Wednesday to 6 AM Thursday then finally rain mixed with snow but not in great amounts. In other words just miserable weather that was wet and slushy. The tent did very well with 2 inches of literal slush on the fly so I was a bit satisfied with its ability to handle a heavier load.  But with that rotten weather I packed up and skinned back to my car.

I'd planned to stay two nights but in actual cold, snowy weather, not in that dangerous wet situation. I had an eVent WPB parka but my pants were heavy nylon fabric cargo pants lined with fleece over polyester long johns. They had good DWR water repellant on them but were not water resistant enough for snow mixed with rain. Interestingly the front of my knees & thighs got soaked but I never had water penetrate to my long johns.

I had pondered wearing uninsulated GTX ski pants instead but felt I needed warmth over waterproofness. WRONG! The weatherman got it wrong and so did I.

I had a decent time until Thursday morning but the weather gods did not favor me.

Eric B.

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Not a great camp this week
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 09:00:26 PM »
Though conditions, and at that altitude!  Rainy slushy camping just around freezing is tougher than -20.  Glad the tent mods worked though. 

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 01:43:32 PM »
next time you go up, can you take some pictures. it is very interesting to see your gear and  surrounding.
I never trust the weather man, but believe on high altitude you have to.

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 12:40:02 AM »
Kiggy,

I did take some photos.I'll download them tomorrow and post here. They were taken before the "slush" hit.

Eric B.